New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Atheas Zenovka wrote:I do think Harlequin is right that unfortunately the current weapons makers and content creators in SL Gor are really behind and they are unwilling to try anything new hence the failure of LCS.

Erh no... the main weapon creators of SL Gor are not behind on anything at all. Primus is about as on the ball as a weaponmaker can be, and there is really not all that many different ways of creating an arrow that does splash damage.

LCS had a lot of issues and would indeed have been 4 years backwards in terms of progress if that meter had ever replaced GM. We don't need a new meter, we have GM which is progressing still and always updated and improved. It's very low lag already, and the 10kb you can shave of with perhaps another meter per person is really not gonna make the difference.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Cauld Summers wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:
Atheas Zenovka wrote:I do think Harlequin is right that unfortunately the current weapons makers and content creators in SL Gor are really behind and they are unwilling to try anything new hence the failure of LCS.

Erh no... the main weapon creators of SL Gor are not behind on anything at all. Primus is about as on the ball as a weaponmaker can be, and there is really not all that many different ways of creating an arrow that does splash damage.

LCS had a lot of issues and would indeed have been 4 years backwards in terms of progress if that meter had ever replaced GM. We don't need a new meter, we have GM which is progressing still and always updated and improved. It's very low lag already, and the 10kb you can shave of with perhaps another meter per person is really not gonna make the difference.

This was a comparison of SL Gor in total (LCS and GM scripted weapons/technology) compared to combat outside of Gor. There is a significant difference in the technology and scripting used.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:50 pm

First... they are. Even the really good ones (And I adore Primus weapons and own damn near half their offerings) are what would, in the combat groups, be considered over-scripted. Even other "top line scripters" are criminally overdone. Sorry. My best weapon is a rifle that has 2 bloody scripts in it, and what it does is shoot a bullet and reload.
That's it. Anything more and you're adding more and more on in a situation where every little bit counts. And "script memory" use isn't the most important thing, either. Its a decent benchmark, but the plane cannon on the plane we're redoing uses the same memory as the one I'm installing, but the old one kills the sim and mine is smooth as a kajira's bottom. There is no One Thing that makes something good or bad, its a wide range of things that come together.

And yeah Atheas... Linden Damage is just for us griefers. -laughs-

And yes, as a general comparison, the stuff I get and even script for Gor is so far behind some of the stuff the combat community uses that its like magic, and efficiency-wise is beyond it too. Now many groups will use laggy stuff. We just fnished a fight before I started writing this in which we had to demand a group take a fleetship down because it was making the sim's Time Dilation hit .2.... but the GENERAL community is more efficient.

When you buy things you get it... if its laggy you toss it aside. Here, when we had a plane that was lagging to hell, we shouted at the scripter, took the project from him, and had it rescripted. When money isn't involved, and you're getting new gear not because it'd be cool, but because its needed before the next attack? Yeah, you tend to get a higher grade of equipment.

Also the stuff is used alot more. I've heard attacks that "Took over an hour" considered grand things. In SL Combat the bar was set when we attacked a sim for three. Days. Straight. Fights of over an hour are the norm, 3 hours are considered good. Round the clock attacks... but this is partly because its not a roleplay community, its something far more apocalyptic. We're here to kill each other, not foster good stories.

The tl;dr of it is, the more you fight the faster you improve your scripting. And when your scripters are the ones on the line, you see an even greater improvement. I have to be sure my stuff works, because i'm the one that has to use it to hold back that tank rush.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:22 pm

That's not what was intended from the post.

I was speaking about BTB/GE - my intended connection was non-panther outlaws. I think that was pretty clear, after re-reading.

It was also meant to be comical...rather than a jab at a single person.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Off topic:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
I wasn't sure what you were referring to. But it seems clear she thought it was panther girls.

Thing though... I am not a fan of the GE femlaws. But even if GE players are a minority here, I still figure it might be on the rude side to talk about them as 'vaginas with bows'. I did guess you meant it as a joke, but IF you are going to toss a genital or two, you can expect genitals tossed back at you. So... best to take that bit of reproductive anatomy hurling as a joke as well, no?
Harlequin

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:42 pm

On Topic- I've been using Exodus... it crashes REALLY oddly, but the map options, the ability to list "Raid Targets", and the arrows to nearby units on the screen, plus the crosshair FoF? Pretty damn neat.

(And you guys, arguing abck and forth? PMs are lovely and I don't think its even tangentally related enough to warrent posts here.)
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 am

Harlequin wrote:Actually, SL does offer a VERY good combat environment. Don't judge SL combat by gorean combat... Gor combat is a horrifying hell of lag that I've never seen the likes of before.

In the AN we've just spent a couple of weeks with 30+ man fights every couple nights, with planes, starships, artillery, tanks, you name it. I've seen guys stab pilots out of their planes, and rode an enemy tank like a skateboard before AT Mining him to death.

And the creation is why its great.. that and the ability to have weapons nad tactics that you can tailor yourself, not by what the game designers wanted. Though its not just kids, thank you... alot of the community (Most of the Alliance Navy for example) are older, some with degrees, many vets...

If anyone's got an interest in seeing what SL combat's like, drop me a line. We're always happy to hand out some well scripted weapons, invite new people onto our Teamspeak, and take them on a raid somewhere. Or if they just have questions, I'm always here.

And before you ask "What makes you the person to ask"... I'm not the only one, but I'm one of the crusty old goons that's been at this since the first combat groups crawled out of the muck and screamed to an uncaring Philip "I WANT TO USE LLSETDAMAGE!"

Plus my sig has purple guys being blown upw ith rockets. That has to count for something.

I used to be in the Ordo for a good while and I always wondered why SL Gorean combats nowadays still lags as bad as combat in the SL Military community used to do back in 2008. I still hang out at those sims from time to time and...yeah. The lag is significantly less with the same amount or even more people.
Harlequin

Postby Harlequin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Well I won't lie, some groups (Which I won't name to avoid calling any out) still don't understand scripting... we've had a few fights last week with a group that lagged the sim to .1 TD and where things just stopped working.

The general pattern there though, is furry heavy militaries tend to be the worst because they tend to have insane script counts =/
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Harlequin wrote:Well I won't lie, some groups (Which I won't name to avoid calling any out) still don't understand scripting... we've had a few fights last week with a group that lagged the sim to .1 TD and where things just stopped working.

The general pattern there though, is furry heavy militaries tend to be the worst because they tend to have insane script counts =/

Aahahaha, that is very true. Yet there were times when we went out -without- A. V. and consorts and....it was awesome.
Harlequin

Postby Harlequin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Well thats the issue in Gor, too. I see these guys say "Take off all your prims" and want to facepalm cause they're still wearing 50 scripts in weapons o.O

Return to “Viewers”