New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Alice McConnell wrote:
HorizonNinetails wrote:(other than the vaginas using bows)

(Did you know that your hair makes your face look like a c***?)

...I don't think we've met. But if you think that's the normal amount of hair for a cunt...or a cock...then you come from a very unique part of the world indeed.

...How did this even come out of the discussion?

It's like if I stopped in the middle of a thread just to insult you directly...*frowns*

Come on now.
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm

It's beta software. That says it all to me. :pft:

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Its not just the sim builders... its not just the meters. Its not just the pillows that have to have fully built sex-gen systems, or the rooms that have fifty pieces of furniture that all have said systems. Its all of those (Sorry but most furniture seems to be made with modified freebie scripts that end up as twitching laggy hackjobs).

The Gor sims I've seen usually have a couple thousand scripts running on the sim itself without counting the people. Thats all those chairs, doors, all of itbut another overlooked part?
Vendors.
The freaking multi-screen self-updating vendors with 10+ scripts apiece. That there is a HUGE part of lag in alot of sims because even the best script uses a base amount of resources when running.

But the worst. The absolute number one culprit is the players. On one raid I put on my autotroll hud... it gets the number and max script use of everyone your client radar picks up. The average number of scripts per man was over 100. Many gorean weapons have 3-4 scripts in the worn, and the used, parts. Women have hair, slaves have those goddamn jingly bells I want to wrap around my hand and use to fist them til they bleed out. AOs. Huds. Facelights. Penises. Vaginas. Tits that sing. But mostly weapons.

Weapons in Gor are very often VERY overscripted with various arrow types, and shouts and sensors all the fuck over the place. And yes, the GM isn't laggy by itself, but it relies on sensors, which will always add that little bit of lag. And vehicles, airplanes speficially, can really get bad when not scripted well and a Tarn is just a vehicle as far as SL is concerned.

Its not the number of prims, sorry. Its the scripts.

The battle of Tyros against Ar, at the Ar wall was laggy as hell. I believe there was maybe 10 or 12 (I may be wrong, feel free to correct me) men there. We were using bows and arrows, and swords, with like... one tarn? Two? The lag was unbelievable. I couldn't freaking move. When there wasn't that number of people,the sim was fine, but with those warriors there the sim just went "HNNNNNNNNNNG!" and fell over clutching its chest.

I can't say SL combat is always smooth, but. An Alliance Marine with his sword, wrist shotgun, grenade thrower, rifle, wrist computer, and jumppack clocks in at 10 scripts. when someone isn't tasked to carry a heavier weapon that requires more complex scripts? Thats the max.

I am currently scripting a fighter bomber that will have 3 scripts in the entire damn thing. But part of that is we fight literally every day. Instead of waiting for shops to release things, we are advancing after every fight. When a group started using tank lines against us, one of our group scripters made an anti-tank missile -during- the fight. I jury rigged an assault cannon by modifying my anti-tank rifle. We've seen plane refits. When things lag we HAVE to improve it or else the combat grinds to a halt.

Gor, since I've seen there's not really a such thing as a "sim scripter" is at the mercy of the weapon makers. And in many cases that isn't someone using a long development period with dedicated workers (Though there are those that do so I am not calling out ALL of them), but are instead using cobbled together 'weapon kits' or freebie scripts. In Gor, with weapons, it seems to be more important that it works well. Because since you'er wearing 200+ scripts anyways, it doesn't matter if your bow is horrifying.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Atheas Zenovka
SL Name: Atheas Zenovka
Caste: Tuchuk

Postby Atheas Zenovka » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I love Linden damage but be careful Harly, last time I advocated Linden damage I got accused of being a griefer by one of the talking heads that populate this forum..... :D

SL Gor is a great cash cow for a lot of the weapons people, but then the same goes for the ones making weapons for CCS, Osiris, DCS2 and etc. People build what other people will pay money to have, free enterprise at it's best.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Atheas Zenovka wrote:I love Linden damage but be careful Harly, last time I advocated Linden damage I got accused of being a griefer by one of the talking heads that populate this forum..... :D

SL Gor is a great cash cow for a lot of the weapons people, but then the same goes for the ones making weapons for CCS, Osiris, DCS2 and etc. People build what other people will pay money to have, free enterprise at it's best.

I think it would be nice if one of the weapons makers that is non Gor would provide a good introduction to sim owners who are battling lag. I saw a great demonstration when we were developing the Warriors playground.

I do think Harlequin is right that unfortunately the current weapons makers and content creators in SL Gor are really behind and they are unwilling to try anything new hence the failure of LCS.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Atheas Zenovka wrote:I love Linden damage but be careful Harly, last time I advocated Linden damage I got accused of being a griefer by one of the talking heads that populate this forum..... :D

I think it would be nice if one of the weapons makers that is non Gor would provide a good introduction to sim owners who are battling lag. I saw a great demonstration when we were developing the Warriors playground.

I do think Harlequin is right that unfortunately the current weapons makers and content creators in SL Gor are really behind and they are unwilling to try anything new hence the failure of LCS.

That's about the size of it. :facepalm:

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 pm

I don't really agree with that? But thats because from what I saw... LCS wasn't really all that impressive. It had nice ideas, but the implementation was deeply, deeply flawed. LCS failed at least somewhat on its own merits.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Harlequin wrote:I don't really agree with that? But thats because from what I saw... LCS wasn't really all that impressive. It had nice ideas, but the implementation was deeply, deeply flawed. LCS failed at least somewhat on its own merits.

I agree there were other things that caused its failure particularly in its roll out and how Patrick handled feedback Harlequin but I do think there were some things that were viable for gorean combat that made sense for all roles.

I think in an ideal world sims would work with content creators outside of SL Gor to improve the systems used and the builds. I think we lag in both areas behind mainstream SL. It took going to a sim created for a church to see how badly :lol:
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Kaitlin wrote:I do think Harlequin is right that unfortunately the current weapons makers and content creators in SL Gor are really behind and they are unwilling to try anything new hence the failure of LCS.

LCS failed because the community didn't move on it. Lots of people tried it, hardly anyone really adopted it to keep it.

Weapon makers will support where the community moves. Making new markets on your own has proven to be too much effort for too little return for most.

Thats not to say new ideas aren't welcome. I give everything a fair shake.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:44 pm

@ Horizon: Maybe it was in response to the way you describe panther girls ('vaginas with bows'), which might possibly be seen as offensive to someone identifying with that role...

Return to “Viewers”