New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:52 am

Tried it.

No difference in FPS.

The mouse "squint" function is nice.

But it doesn't fix the fact that you have to use the viewer 2 interface.

It was fun to try, but in the end it feels like a strait jacket compared to Singularity. Can't do it.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:44 am

I dunno, I've been raiding a round a bit lately and just for me personally, I came to the conclusion that I really wouldn't want to play without the minimap. Hell I even use the "nearby" function to cam in on people automatically when I am on a rescue with others.

Why? Because the way most of those superforts are built with their 900 storey levels of dungeons to keep captives - with a myriad of lockpick-requiring (2 minutes each) doors between me and my captive, I wanna know where the fuck I am heading.

I don't consider it cheating much because at the time you're actually seeking out the person you came for, you won already anyway so what the hell.

Will give this one a try, the beacon function sounds a bit too good to have if others don't but otherwise - let's see :)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Vivienne Daguerre
SL Name: Vivienne Daguerre
Caste: Merchant
Home Stone: Tancred's Landing

Postby Vivienne Daguerre » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 am

There are several types of Goreans it seems who want different things from Gor.

There are the combat centered Goreans who will love this new viewer. They love the combat, conquer, catch and release type of play.

There are strictly role play Goreans who may tolerate some raids, but they prefer the in depth human interaction and want intense role play after a raid between captors and captives. The combat Goreans are not as into this.

There are the lifestyler Goreans who are not into combat or role play, but instead try to enjoy life in a Gorean environment according to the principles of the books. They value real, non-role play interaction with each other but keep it Gorean. There may also be some OOC joking about.

There are the in-betweeners who fall in between the cracks. They may consider themselves BTB with some lean toward GE, lifestylers who enjoy some role players, BTB who enjoy some combat, or various combinations.

Some will love Exodus and some will hate it, because we are not all the same kind of Gorean. This is also why there are too many Gorean sims for the number of Goreans. Sim owners create their Gor according to their vision of it, and there is huge variation.

Myself, I do not welcome it. Just another tool to create super-Tarls with machine gun bows running in and taking down a whole sim by themselves within a couple of minutes, proclaiming that they have larger and better dicks than everyone there. How can that be fun for anyone but the super-Tarls?

That is just me though. I know not everyone will feel the same way, and there is nothing wrong with that. The LCS solves the problem for me.
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Postby Alice McConnell » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:19 am

HorizonNinetails wrote:(other than the vaginas using bows)

(Did you know that your hair makes your face look like a c***?)

I think it is cool that some folks are trying to cater to the combat wants&needs of SL users, regardless of whether this viewer is really all that useful for SL gor.

Would be nice and wise if LL itself would get its head out of the behinds of the social network guru's and started thinking about the question of how SL could be adjusted to make it fit for a satisfying combat gaming experience. If they had started working on that a good while ago, creating more options for that and for related gadgetry, SL's user-base might have been a lot larger now, especially in the male segment.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 am

Alice McConnell wrote:I think it is cool that some folks are trying to cater to the combat wants&needs of SL users, regardless of whether this viewer is really all that useful for SL gor.

Would be nice and wise if LL itself would get its head out of the behinds of the social network guru's and started thinking about the question of how SL could be adjusted to make it fit for a satisfying combat gaming experience. If they had started working on that a good while ago, creating more options for that and for related gadgetry, SL's user-base might have been a lot larger now, especially in the male segment.

That's a really good point.

In the last few months I've not only experienced a lot more combat in my SL Gor, but more recently I've discovered how big the rest of the SL Combat community is. Add to that my growing awareness of combat/shooter Xbox games as I supervise my son and his friends becoming more interested in them.

There is NO comparison between games like Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War and SL combat. I know SL isn't billed or marketed as this type of combat/shooter game, or even a game at all really, but having custom viewers that attract or retain that crowd is an interesting development that overall might help make SL more attractive to a different audience.
Vivienne Daguerre
SL Name: Vivienne Daguerre
Caste: Merchant
Home Stone: Tancred's Landing

Postby Vivienne Daguerre » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:00 pm

~pancake~ wrote:
Alice McConnell wrote:I think it is cool that some folks are trying to cater to the combat wants&needs of SL users, regardless of whether this viewer is really all that useful for SL gor.

That's a really good point.

In the last few months I've not only experienced a lot more combat in my SL Gor, but more recently I've discovered how big the rest of the SL Combat community is. Add to that my growing awareness of combat/shooter Xbox games as I supervise my son and his friends becoming more interested in them.

There is NO comparison between games like Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War and SL combat. I know SL isn't billed or marketed as this type of combat/shooter game, or even a game at all really, but having custom viewers that attract or retain that crowd is an interesting development that overall might help make SL more attractive to a different audience.

Both are excellent points. If SL could provide a half decent combat environment for those who enjoy that, it could attract young males in huge numbers. It would not have to be as good as those other games mentioned because here they could make their own guns, tanks, planes, etc. That is something the other games could not offer and it would be a huge draw. As a Mom and Grandma it would make me smile too, to watch these kids become passionate about creating and not just shooting.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Actually, SL does offer a VERY good combat environment. Don't judge SL combat by gorean combat... Gor combat is a horrifying hell of lag that I've never seen the likes of before.

In the AN we've just spent a couple of weeks with 30+ man fights every couple nights, with planes, starships, artillery, tanks, you name it. I've seen guys stab pilots out of their planes, and rode an enemy tank like a skateboard before AT Mining him to death.

And the creation is why its great.. that and the ability to have weapons nad tactics that you can tailor yourself, not by what the game designers wanted. Though its not just kids, thank you... alot of the community (Most of the Alliance Navy for example) are older, some with degrees, many vets...

If anyone's got an interest in seeing what SL combat's like, drop me a line. We're always happy to hand out some well scripted weapons, invite new people onto our Teamspeak, and take them on a raid somewhere. Or if they just have questions, I'm always here.

And before you ask "What makes you the person to ask"... I'm not the only one, but I'm one of the crusty old goons that's been at this since the first combat groups crawled out of the muck and screamed to an uncaring Philip "I WANT TO USE LLSETDAMAGE!"

Plus my sig has purple guys being blown upw ith rockets. That has to count for something.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Misha
SL Name: misha
Caste: slut
Role: Kajirus/thrall
Home Stone: Kalana Fjord Village
Owner: Matteus Weatherwax

Postby Misha » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Misha excitedly downs loads the viewer
Misha logs out of his much loved Singularity Viewer
Misha logs in the Exodus Viewer and then sees it looks like the Firestrom and V2 Viewer and logs out.

NO thanks i hate this style of viewer. If and when I will be forced to use them, I will contemplate in staying in Second Life

Misha frowns as wasted his time and goes back to his beloved Singularity
Everything about Gor is Designed for DRAMA
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Harlequin wrote:Actually, SL does offer a VERY good combat environment. Don't judge SL combat by gorean combat... Gor combat is a horrifying hell of lag that I've never seen the likes of before.

I blame this more on the builders of gorean sims than anything else. I spent a great deal of time trying to learn all the details and basics of a 'sim' and what can cause lag. And when I applied these 'basics' as a test to many gorean sims, there were many atrocious breaches.

Some of the higher activity sims out there have an excessive amount of scripting in their furniture. Forget about doors and locked doors and sensors... they are not the bad guys, the evil-doers of lag on a sim are chairs, seats, cushions, generally any furniture that lets you sit on it with a specific pose, it becomes exponentially worse if these items are linked. For example 4 seperate cushions don't seem to take up as much script memory on a sim as 4 cushions who are all linked around the same table. Sexbeds are horrible too ofcourse.

Most chairs, sexbeds, cushions etc. seem to be using between 1k and 2k (sometimes excessiveness of 5-6k) of script memory.

A GM Meter... it's nothing, it does not cause any lag at all.
A door... it's even less usually, especially KooL doors you should be able to put a few hundred of them + levers and trapdoors, down until you get the same effect as a chair with several poses.

The second biggest evil-doer, because SL really is very very uncapable of dealing with it well: Physics. It can't be measured, but go ahead and build a few physical balls that you can kick around on your sim one time, within moments you'll start noticing that the sim starts getting lag hickups. So tarns... even if it can't be measured... and ridable tharlarions, they are the death of a sim... and probably, along with all the arrows, the biggest cause of uncontrollable lag even if scriptcount is kept within norms and a spare time of higher than 1 ms is maintained. When the arrows stop flying and get stuck in the air, the tarn will too. But a tarn has to spend even more of it's resources on physics memory of a sim, because it usually has a passenger (and hey, remember what I said about furniture you could sit on in the first paragraph...) As a gorean sim owner, and as a builder and scripter I've grown to dislike tarns...

Hint for everyone who wants to become an even stronger super-tarl: If a sim allows you to use tarns it'll probably have a few dozen unreachable sniperspots, due to the build on top of roofs and hills, from which you can snipe down the city you're raiding.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah, Lin before I got into it bout a year and a half ago, I had no clue how big the SL Combat/Military scene was. I love it- I'm in a good group, with cutting edge scripters and weapons developers, so that makes it pretty exciting. *pets my new rocket launcher that can switch from anti-air to anti-armor with a key gesture and fire on the run*

Mostly, I love the adrenaline rush, the Teamspeak banter (ours is usually highly entertaining), the teamwork/tactics, the military structure, the challenge of having to adapt, quickly to new terrain, new obstacles, new enemies and weapons. There's quite a lot more to it than I every would have thought. And the big battles where it's been sometimes 30 against 5 for 3+ hours (I was one of the 5, and god -that- was a grind, but it was great at the same time, keeping our focus, keeping morale up, pushing back and retaking the sim...that was epic.)

And I have a godawful FPS, usually extremely lucky if I crack double digits, but I manage to hold my own for the most part- just find a spot to snipe from, hold my position, get my ass back out on the line ASAP if I die (LL damage you 'die' and respawn at your homepoint, usually a set point on the sim you're fighting in). It's still a lot of fun.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/

Return to “Viewers”