New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 pm

You can read a post about this new viewer called Exodus here
http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2011/09 ... with-mesh/

Apparently it's designed by and for "SL combat".

I have no idea if any of the features will be useful for SL Gor combat but I thought I'd mention it if anyone wanted to try it out.

A few things I got from the blog:

Combat players may also like the fact that Exodus has the Mouselook zoom functionality included, making target sniping, etc., a lot easier. The function works identically to v1.x viewers that include it: enter Mouselook, press and hold the right mouse button and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in / out (with the wheel depressed).

Coupled with this are the Minimap Settings, which provide a range of customisable options for tailoring the mini-map to suit your specific combat requirements (such as making it easier to identify friends and foes).

And something about a "raid advisor"

Exodus includes a built-in Raid Advisor, allowing you to annotate and review raids / battles fought. I assume this is again to replace functionality provided in combat HUDs, or is an additional option combat players will find useful. The function has two options. The first is a new button on the Map – +RAID ADVISOR.

I don't know which combat systems and huds it might be referring to, but I thought it might be of interest to those who do SL Gor combat.

The Exodus blog and forums are here
http://exodusviewer.com/blog.html

Note - it's still in Beta and hasn't yet signed a TPV agreement so use at your own discretion.
Last edited by ~pancake~ on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: New Exodus "Combat Viewer"

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Tested it.

It's probably the highest FPS mesh viewer there is at the moment.

You can give people on your minimap a different color, it also shows little arrows and boxes if you're in mouselook along with the color of the arrows and boxes, to show where your friends and enemies are.

It also seems to have an automatic beacon toggler, so your enemies are noticable from far away...

It's indeed the viewer to have for combattants it seems, but strict 'realism' RPers probably won't like to know there is a viewer now that gives a lot of visual aids to meter combattants...
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks Cauld! I was hoping you would. I, obviously, wouldn't know what I was talking about even if I did try it.

I wonder if this will open up a whole new can of worms and calls of invalid or "cheats"?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 pm

~pancake~ wrote:I wonder if this will open up a whole new can of worms and calls of invalid or "cheats"?

I actually think you hit the nail on the head. One of the reasons for the added features in the RLV Viewer that no one seems to use because of course they would never dare cheat is the restriction of mini-map. Judging from the feature enhancements the majority seem to actually be "cheats" other than the speed which is always a good thing.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Well as a self confessed habitual and unrepentant cheater, I'm personally not to worried.

I have sim light settings over ridden so I can pick the lightning where my pixels look the hottest and never chage it :D I often have my map open and run away when I see a lot of green dots :lol:

I guess I don't combat enough to really subscribe to the notion of "cheating" but as I understand it, a lot of people do so I imagine this is a whole new hotbed.

I thought it best to get the word about this viewer out there though, to level the playing field. If both sides have the option of "cheating" then it's fair... right?
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:31 pm

~pancake~ wrote: I wonder if this will open up a whole new can of worms and calls of invalid or "cheats"?

It might on some BtB-sims... but those already tend to call invalid when raids don't end in their favour anyway. :P

Most people in GE Gor seem thrilled with this viewer (especially the high FPS mesh capability, which was annoying a lot of them)... and I doubt anyone there will care about some extra visual aids being on your screen to track down your enemies and their movements. Considering skype and ventrillo already seems to be the norm there for raids.
Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Postby Sempati » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Seem more like minor tweaks to existing features that are commonly used and hardly a 'cheating' tool. Hell I use minimap to a limited degree as an aid to what I feel are fine tuned senses of a warrior. This Exodus just makes existing features more usable, although the zone on mouselook is interesting.....but most know my stance on bow fighting so it is a pointless feature for me.

I consider cheating the use of things like av displacers, waw huds, or disabling alphas and such that remove segments of the environment.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Kaitlin wrote: One of the reasons for the added features in the RLV Viewer that no one seems to use because of course they would never dare cheat is the restriction of mini-map.

No, no no, the reason why only a few of us are using the GM RLV viewer is because all the others are using the official LL viewer, and this one doesn't have the RLV built in. [/sarcasm]

Sempati wrote:I consider cheating the use of things like av displacers, waw huds, or disabling alphas and such that remove segments of the environment.

I can only agree with this.

Anyway…

http://modemworld.wordpress.com wrote:The Viewer also isn’t listed in the TPV Directory (it doesn’t have to be), but has apparently been self-certified for use on SL.

So, use at your own risks…
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 am

Allow me to give an experienced voice. Clix and Co have done a few really top notch viewers for combat purposes. Alot of their features are intended for SL Combat Community stuff proper, and not Gor? But we've been using variations on viewers with all these various features for many years.

In fact, stuff like minimap marking, beacons, etc are considered standard fare... we yell at recruits who DON'T use them. The group Ark have a good reputation in terms of viewer development, and I can honestly count their work among some of my favorites. Plus, and this may make me seem biased, they're a bunch of pretty good fellows, so I endorse their work even more.

I think that alot of whats in it is more stuff the Combat groups have been using so it may take adjusting to for BTB and GE groups? But hey, its worth it. To me? Its all just a way to enhance combat ability. Until you're using realistic bows, swords, etc... I think calling invalid due to any sort of viewer just means you didn't like when an enemy warrior kicked your kilt so hard he left a bootprint on your panties.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:26 am

Its only cheating if no one else is doing it.

The environments between GE and BTB are different in many ways, but the same people crying invalid are disabling alpha, cutting down their rendering costs with ctrl+alt+shift+ (x) and making their viewer run as smooth as possible.

But a big difference between BTB and GE is the acceptance of vent/skype during raids. (other than the vaginas using bows)

I have my mini map up...but tbh, I don't see an advantage...you're going to find whoever you need to find anyways. Shooting blindly at dots is about the worst that can happen. I'm also too distracted when I'm fighting to look at mini-map.

I miss vent tho. There was something very fun about getting together with your friends and just calling things on the fly.

I haven't had a chance to use it in a raid in...idk...since Nadira? Its been a long time.

I'll try the viewer, see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up Lin

Return to “Viewers”