Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Singularity is the best I can find right now.

I've seen the videos for firestorm.
I don't like the layout for viewer 2.
From the vids I've watched, their developers are like "you can change it! and get the pie menu back!"

- if everyone wants viewer 2 to be like phoenix, like the original viewers, then why don't they just automatically revert the GUI and interface to be like phoenix and have all the benefits of viewer 2/3?

Singularity has upped my FPS by 10-20 depending on the scene, and I've crashed twice in the past week. With phoenix? my whole computer would die - especially if I tried to dual log. I'll try viewer 2 browsers either when they make the layout more like phoenix automatically, or when Singularity no longer can connect to the grid.
Rhett
SL Name: Rhett Aelric

Postby Rhett » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Victor. wrote:Anyone knows how to show sim traffic with the SL2 engine? Or well with Firestorm in particular?

TP to the sim and click the Land button on top. Other than that, you can sort search results by traffic, and you can see if the sim is currently busy by the little orange dot-things that appear next to the name. Other than that, not sure.
He is but a poor philosopher who holds a view so narrow as to exclude forms not to his personal taste. - John Galsworthy
Misha
SL Name: misha
Caste: slut
Role: Kajirus/thrall
Home Stone: Kalana Fjord Village
Owner: Matteus Weatherwax

Postby Misha » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm

i love singlarity, if i was forced to use the sl view or firestom i do not know what i would do
Everything about Gor is Designed for DRAMA
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 am

I like the quick buttons of Firestorm, perhaps the graphic part is a bit more complicated for me and though Firestorm seems to suck less CPU I would say on Ultra everything is the same as phoenix on medium.

The thing I miss that helped me out alot when I lost prims or doing hunts is wire view (ctrl+shift+r). :(
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 pm

HorizonNinetails wrote:Singularity has upped my FPS by 10-20 depending on the scene, and I've crashed twice in the past week. With phoenix? my whole computer would die - especially if I tried to dual log. I'll try viewer 2 browsers either when they make the layout more like phoenix automatically, or when Singularity no longer can connect to the grid.

Have you tried CoolVL?

It doesn't have a couple of the bells and whistles of the other popular viewers, no built in AO or multiple tattoo layers, but the developer is focused on performance, HIGH performance. CoolVL was the only way I could run SL on my old computer and now that I have a new one? This viewer is kicking serious butt.

With CoolVL I whiz through SL, my FPS is almost laughably high.
It makes me want to engage in combat just because.

From his latest release notes.

Note that if to believe my latest speed tests, v1.26.1.6 is now faster than v1.25.0.40 by around 4% (v1.26.0.19 is faster than v1.25.0.40 by around 7%). This probably makes the Cool VL Viewer one of the fastest (if not the fastest) viewers around on modern hardware (the old Cool VL Viewer v1.19.0.5 is probably unbeatable on old hardware, but it is now completely deprecated)...

He's also introduced Mesh so you'll be able to get the benefit of that as well.

I can't recommend this viewer enough for those on older computers and laptops, and those who want performance in their SL. You can download here.

http://sldev.free.fr/

Edit to add - I believe it's still not on the approved list of TPV's, but as I understand it the viewer is totally compliant and many are using it. He's been doing third party viewers for years without issue, and much is his code is ported from or back to other viewers as well. It seems it's just that the developer just doesn't want to give LL all the personal data they want from him nor sign the contracts. *shrugs* So use at your own discretion.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:15 pm

You lost me at "no multiple tattoo layers" PFFT! Pathetic! :problem:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Victor. wrote:You lost me at "no multiple tattoo layers" PFFT! Pathetic! :problem:

I know! Oh how I wish he'd add that, I'm not sure why it's not on his priorities but perhaps one day.

In the mean time, 160 FPS, sometimes in the 200s?
Makes me giggle like I'm drunk.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:01 pm

~pancake~ wrote:
Victor. wrote:You lost me at "no multiple tattoo layers" PFFT! Pathetic! :problem:

I know! Oh how I wish he'd add that, I'm not sure why it's not on his priorities but perhaps one day.

In the mean time, 160 FPS, sometimes in the 200s?
Makes me giggle like I'm drunk.

I dunno why, but my FPS are always great on a new computer - had ~120 FPS ages ago, quite stable - when I bought the computer a year ago.

But after a while it always dwindles down, nowadays I am glad if I can get 40 FPS I guess -_-
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Victor wrote: I dunno why, but my FPS are always great on a new computer - had ~120 FPS ages ago, quite stable - when I bought the computer a year ago.

But after a while it always dwindles down, nowadays I am glad if I can get 40 FPS I guess -_-

I think something is going on with SL in general the last month or with some of the viewers.

On Firestorm my FPS has dwindled down to 40 on medium settings on good day, on Phoenix I was lucky to get 70 and that was only on quiet sims. When I got locked down at 20 FPS in Clearchus when there wasn't even a raid? I got really frustrated of having bought a new computer and it was groaning like my old one did.

Giving up the tattoo layers was worth it to me just to enjoy the purchase I made.

I'd be curious to see you or others run a comparison, even if you don't use it for day to day SL. I remember Sacha trying out CoolVL and he didn't get any difference, but then again, he runs a monster powerhouse that kills anyone's FPS numbers regardless of viewer.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Not entirely sure but I remember someone who is a lot more computer savvy than I, once telling me that everything above 40 FPS doesn't really matter because you won't see the difference anyway. :eh:

Return to “Viewers”