Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Re: Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Victor. wrote:What word would you rather she used? "..a wait for more long-winded RPers"? "...a wait for RPers with a strong desire to communicate more in one draw of breath"?

Active RPer in a way of being very, very verbose. Not active RPers as in "Either you write 1000+ words per paragraph or you're considered an INACTIVE RPer!"?

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Postby Sempati » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Damn, no wonder we have endless arguments of pointless quotes. Context is a bitch and 3 people can read same sentence and take 20 different meanings from it.
Kaitlin wrote:It seems unlike Phoenix the new firestorm viewer does not automatically split your posts into two posts. I had not been in an intense one on one para scene since making it my primary viewer but this really sucks. No spell check and no posts over what seems to be a 1000 character limit may make this a "wait" for active RPers.

Thinking people need to step back and actually read shit twice before jumping down throats.
At worst it should maybe read for heavy para RPers instead of active RPers since having a character limit and unable to split posts can really mess with the thought process as your putting something down. No that I ever hit that limit, it is a rarely thing since at most I am a short-para RPer depending on things. Hell I just type what I type.

As I see it Kait is simply saying that for RPers (players) that use spellcheck and often are double posting emotes that FireStorm with the character limits might not be the best option for them right now. Turning this into the bullshit non-para/para is only way to RP argument war....is just friggen stupid.
:banghead:
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Sempati wrote:As I see it Kait is simply saying that for RPers (players) that use spellcheck and often are double posting emotes that FireStorm with the character limits might not be the best option for them right now. Turning this into the bullshit non-para/para is only way to RP argument war....is just friggen stupid.
:banghead:

I agree. I mean what a bullshit to make this a para/non para thing.

When I play one on one I can exceed the 3000 characters. I like that my partner in the RP crime likes that as well.
Is there then a problem ?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Claude Belgar wrote:Then maybe you should be careful, it seems that someone used your account to say it then. Other reason would be that you are lying, but that can't be, uh ?

Let me again quote the person who used your account when you were away :
Kaitlin wrote:no posts over what seems to be a 1000 character limit may make this a "wait" for active RPers.

:shakehead2:

What I do have a requirement for is reading comprehension so epic fail for you and lets hope we don't meet in RP. Let me provide my full quote rather than the parsed version you keep using. I think even those who don't type a 1000 post might want to use spell check.

Kaitlin wrote:
It seems unlike Phoenix the new firestorm viewer does not automatically split your posts into two posts. I had not been in an intense one on one para scene since making it my primary viewer but this really sucks. No spell check and no posts over what seems to be a 1000 character limit may make this a "wait" for active RPers.

It might have been more proper to use "or" instead of "and" for the members of the easily insulted itty bitty post club but sometimes I forget this is still gorums. Are we really having this discussion? Anyone who has ever played with me knows I could care less how many words you type as long as you get your point across.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Victor. wrote:What word would you rather she used? "..a wait for more long-winded RPers"? "...a wait for RPers with a strong desire to communicate more in one draw of breath"?

Active RPer in a way of being very, very verbose. Not active RPers as in "Either you write 1000+ words per paragraph or you're considered an INACTIVE RPer!"?

Edit: Maybe for HYPER-active RPers would have been more accurate ;)

Some RPer. It would have been accurate, not arrogant nor insulting.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Though EVERY RPer could use the spell check so not THAT accurate all of a sudden any more, is it? :D

Really, I think you interpreted too much into that.

And I am actively using Firestorm by the way and couldn't be any happier. I absolutely dreaded the official SL 2 Viewer for many a reason but learned to cope with it - when I switched to Firestorm it seemed much of what I loved about Phoenix + multiple tattoo layers = happy me.

I agree though, the spell check is something I totally miss out of obviously practical reasons and I'd not mind the character limit to be gone. Can help yourself out with >> or * for the next post but yes, it'd be better to just write and post it all at once, no doubt.

What the Pancake posted about the inventory-search actually bugs me more than those two things together, makes searching for something in your inventory while you go through your recent purchases a pain in the ass, putting an outfit or avatar together.

Another thing I noticed, though I am not sure if it's either a viewer issue, or a settings issue or god knows what: when I am ALT+Left Clicking something and spin around it - say looking at an avatar or my avatar to see if everything looks alright, it sometimes randomly moves my character while I am still holding down. Never had that issue but those last days I noticed it somehow...annoying.

Login is a nuisance but something I am not too annoyed by.

Otherwise, it's as close to my old phoenix/emerald optimum as it gets. Wouldn't switch back.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I am flip flopping between Phoenix and Firestorm. Because once I have to be on Firestorm I want to at least have a feel for the programme....not spend an hour looking for IM boxes! And the look does take some getting used too .... that said after two days I was and am rping comfortably, and not "jumping" every time I go to type :hiding:

Things I miss from Phoenix...spell check...my spelling is creative at times :P
I miss that it remembers my avie names, i have to retype them when i change avatars...Phoenix had a nice little drop down menu.
I haven't run into the typing limit issue, but I do tend to type on a notecard if it is going the way of bigger para posting, simply because I will add and change on the fly and possibly be typing when they are...and that will need changing once their post comes out. (depends on the person and scene yadda yadda)

Definitely prefer Firestorm over the LL V2 veiwer. Still prefering the Phoenix over Firestorm, but am also confident I can cope with the change once it is no longer an option to be on V1.
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Ala wrote:I haven't run into the typing limit issue, but I do tend to type on a notecard if it is going the way of bigger para posting, simply because I will add and change on the fly and possibly be typing when they are...and that will need changing once their post comes out. (depends on the person and scene yadda yadda)

This was a lifesaver when I realized the post issue but rather than a NC which won't pick up the misspelled words in firestorm I've started using a minimized instance of MS Word overlaying SL for typing out my posts about the size I would normally have a NC. My spelling can be beyond challenged and I have a horrible habit of typing double words in long posts like "the the". Nothing worse than a para RPer who stutters.
:hiding:

Once upon a time... Kait
Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Postby Sempati » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Kaitlin wrote:My spelling can be beyond challenged and I have a horrible habit of typing double words in long posts like "the the". Nothing worse than a para RPer who stutters.

Seen some of my recent logs huh? :lol:

I know I tend to switch gears mind post, going back and forth reading the other person's post, and changing what I want ot say a few times before it finally gets out. Resulting in some stuttering and other creative uses of the English language. I know what would help me is to be able to see more of the post while I am typing it, to expand that chat entry box to display multiple lines of text.
In FireStorm I already have the expanded the text entry so it is taking up half my bar, and not tried to really do much beyond that. Can the text entry box be expanded more or am I living on a pipe dream?
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Sempati wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:My spelling can be beyond challenged and I have a horrible habit of typing double words in long posts like "the the". Nothing worse than a para RPer who stutters.

Seen some of my recent logs huh? :lol:

I know I tend to switch gears mind post, going back and forth reading the other person's post, and changing what I want ot say a few times before it finally gets out. Resulting in some stuttering and other creative uses of the English language. I know what would help me is to be able to see more of the post while I am typing it, to expand that chat entry box to display multiple lines of text.
In FireStorm I already have the expanded the text entry so it is taking up half my bar, and not tried to really do much beyond that. Can the text entry box be expanded more or am I living on a pipe dream?

Actually it can be expanded. Grab it on the right corner and it should allow you to stretch it over. You may need to remove some of your hot buttons on the bottom but I find I don't really use many of them and have actually gone to leaving them on the side instead such as people, map, inventory ect.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Viewers”