Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Re: Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Victor. wrote:Not entirely sure but I remember someone who is a lot more computer savvy than I, once telling me that everything above 40 FPS doesn't really matter because you won't see the difference anyway. :eh:

That certainly could be true, I'm not computer expert at all.

I wish I knew how to quantify other things that are important performance wise to me and are deciding factors in which viewer I use.

-how often I crash
-how long it takes for inventory to load
-how often I have problems attaching/detaching
-how often I don't get group notices
-chat lag, IMs going to offline even when I'm there and yo-yo slingshot walking
-failed TP's
-how long it takes for textures to rez, on me, or others
-how long I have to stand at the hub before I can see everyone is my usual test on any viewer

I don't know how many of those are factored into or reflective of FPS but that is the only number I have that's quantifiable for comparing my performance from viewer to viewer.

For the others, I have anecdotal evidence that I crash less often or have super fast rezzing/loading of textures and avatars.

When I compare Phoenix vs. Firestorm for example. Very similar FPS, both over 40, but Firestorm takes considerably longer to rez textures than Phoenix does for me. I don't know why, it seems as though I'm the only person who has that issue. Most find the opposite.

I believe some of those are server side issues, but I can't help but notice I have more or less of those problems with some viewers than I do with others so there has to be a relationship there, even if I don't understand what that is LOL.
Hycib Bayn
SL Name: hycib

Postby Hycib Bayn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Victor. wrote:Not entirely sure but I remember someone who is a lot more computer savvy than I, once telling me that everything above 40 FPS doesn't really matter because you won't see the difference anyway. :eh:

Yes, all above server side fps, it doesn't matter, not sure, but think is maximum is 45
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Hycib Bayn wrote:

Yes, all above server side fps, it doesn't matter, not sure, but think is maximum is 45

Thank you Hycib!
<3 techy people.

Do you know by any chance how much FPS relates to other performance issues? Or rather, which ones can directly related to by FPS measurements? Textures rezzing, lag when moving, crashing, not getting group notices, etc. What are the other ways to quantify and compare performance and stability other than FPS?
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:34 am

~pancake~ wrote:Firestorm takes considerably longer to rez textures than Phoenix does for me. I don't know why, it seems as though I'm the only person who has that issue.

You're not. Firestorm is also very slow to rez for me, too. Also I'm a brown cloud for several minutes each time I first log on.

It also seems to have an odd tendency to pull things off me each time I TP. It hates meters especially but it can also be clothes, and I need to be careful with that as my other avie has now left Gor and plays in a PG sim where even accidental nudity is obviously frowned upon.

However, the biggest problem that I've found with Firestorm is Search. I press the magnifying glass or call it up, and get a box that simply doesn't do anything or show anything execept 2 icons that don't work. I've tried to do the fixes, but they don't work. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, as it really is a huge flaw.

And by the way, how on earth do you get whisper and shout to work?
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:29 pm

As someone on an older system, who occasionally forays into combat, I am always trying new things to try to get an FPS over, say 1, when in combat vs. Furries with badly scripted weapons/attachments/furryparts. XD

I snagged CoolViewer, thinking I'd tried it, and virtually every other viewer out there, including Imprudence and Singularity, and still found that Firestorm gave me the best FPS.

I set up CoolViewer, thinking I'd keep it as just my "dedicated for combat" viewer, and tweaked it to within an inch of it's life to try to wring the best FPS out of it, sacrificing pretty for efficient. And logged in to a fight. And immediately crashed. Unperturbed, I relogged, and crashed again, within seconds. I tried clearing cache, relogged and...bewm. CoolViewer hates me.

Guess I'm sticking with Firestorm in all it's buggy glory.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/

Return to “Viewers”