Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 pm

For weeks I struggles with lag and TP issues that seemed to just come out of nowhere. I have been a fan of phoenix since first switching from Emerald. I tried the first firestorm beta but there seemed to be to much missing to even bother with the learning curve.

I'm happy to say that has changed and it has exceeded all my expectations by adding in all the phoenix functionality and it even includes the ability to revert back to some comfortable Viewer 1 (Phoenix) functionality. I strongly recommend a download but be sure to have a look at the tutorials that make getting up and running a breeze.

Version 2.5.1.16671
http://www.phoenixviewer.com/downloads.php

Features I love - Radar w/Camming built In, Integrated AO, Amazingly lag free, uncluttered window once you figure out docking, Tattoo layering (ADD, ADD, ADD! makeup, tattoos, ect), Multi Attachment points

Helpful videos

Orientation Video...It is worth it!

Setting up the AO

I have found that most of the bugs in the prior beta have been solved although I yet to explore the advanced features. Perhaps others have info to share.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: Firestorm - Better than Phoenix

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 am

Kait kicks her blackberry and blames it as usual for the typos.
I forgot to add that there are also features that seem to work well for those who are in combat. I've picked up a a lot about the viewer by joining the group in world. Its where I learned that to come out of the orange cloud unrezzed just add a bald attachment. Without official support yet this group works amazingly well to assist the early adopters.

Group Name: Phoenix-Firestorm
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
grondar Quartz
SL Name: Grondar Quartz
Caste: Clearchus Magistrate
Role: Tarnsman
Home Stone: Treve (always)

Postby grondar Quartz » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 am

I lke the current beta too but I have issues , suddenly without warning my window fillws with coloured stripes at all angles and although i can still type i cant see anything exept a load of colours if i come out and use pheonix then all is well , maybe it just doesnt like my setup on my PC but oyherwise its a great viewer , just wish i could use it
"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 am

I'll wait for the official release.

Oh, and Kait, you can cam with the radar in Phoenix too. Just double-click the name and it takes you right to them.

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Postby Dren Bernard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:37 am

grondar Quartz wrote:I lke the current beta too but I have issues , suddenly without warning my window fillws with coloured stripes at all angles and although i can still type i cant see anything exept a load of colours if i come out and use pheonix then all is well , maybe it just doesnt like my setup on my PC but oyherwise its a great viewer , just wish i could use it

Grondar

I believe this is a VBO setting in preferences-Graphics-hardware options: disable "OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects".

That at least fixed my similar problems in the past.

Hope that helps!
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:05 am

Firestorm is a good viewer when it come to lag, indeed. It double my FPS over Phœnix… BUT.

-Radar open only with minimap, which is not a problem for me 99% of the time since I don't use them. However, in the instance I need to mod something on our sim, I like to have the radar open to quickly go on the crime scene, so to speak; which is impossible to do with Firestorm. Now, it's only a minor flaw since it doesn't bother me 99% of the time.

-No possibility to use ':' instead of '/me', and that's a feature I use a lot, that I love a lot (farewell the '/mr', the '/ me' and all those damn typos. A major flaw for me

-No autoclosing OOC, again a big flaw for me

-No autocorrecting of what you post. Example, on Phoenix I can type 'bk' and it would show '(back)' on my screen.

if the last three features above were to be implemented in Firestorm, then yes it would be a better viewer than Phœnix; but for now, the only advantage it has is the higher FPS, not enough for me to switch.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
TrollinWitMyHomies
SL Name: Which?
Role: I'm in your threadz, trollin.
Owner: Foamy, the Squirrel

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:11 am

Actually Claude, there are option to use : instead of /me as well as auto-close ((. It's under preferences I believe but not sure which tab. I'd have to double check.

I used Firestorm all night and I think I'm getting used to it. My huge issues with it are:

-EVERYTHING IS GREY :evil: I fixed all the text but the background is killing me. Are there non grey skins?
-I type too much and it doesn't automatically truncate and then post into a new chat line. :thumbdown:

If someone could fix these two things, plus use the Phoenix Style radar, I would be sold. Also, right now, while the FPS boost is amazing, I get random lag spikes every few minutes which I don't get in Phoenix.
All your forum are belong to us.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 am

Will definitely try it. While I got used to SL 2 Viewer by now (Switches to it, because of the multiple tattoo layers) - it just annoys the shit out of me at times. Especially since there is some weird chat-copy paste issue which makes it hard to save logs :(
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:29 am

TrollinWitMyHomies wrote:Actually Claude, there are option to use : instead of /me as well as auto-close ((. It's under preferences I believe but not sure which tab. I'd have to double check.

Really ? I looked for it for quite a time and never was able to find it. If it's possible, then I may well switch.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Triad Fallen
SL Name: Anonymous
Caste: Anonymous
Role: Wont last too long
Home Stone: Anonymous
Owner: Anonymous
AkA: Anonymous

Postby Triad Fallen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 am

Once its out of beta and the spell ckaecher is in i am on it, been the king of typpooesss as it is
We just happen to be a group of people on the internet who need just kind of an outlet to do as we wish, that we wouldn't be able to do in regular society.

Return to “Viewers”