Singularity Viewer

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Re: Singularity Viewer

Postby Josef of Ar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Aseptimus wrote:
Lucius wrote:
Glaucon Delphis wrote:Repeated crashes: not great.

But... why give it a try at all, if Phoenix is working (as it is, at the moment, for me)? Faster rezzing? Better FPS? Nicer images? Cooler features?

Curiosity mostly. The building interface in Singularity is really buggy too at least in the Mac release. It will let you stretch prims out as big as you want them with no constraint only to shrink them to 10x10x10 about 5 minutes later. The cursor also does not change from a pointer when trying to alt click or build.

The cool thing it did have was an RP mode in which it put everything that wasn't an emote into brackets.

I would suggest that what you are seeing is updates from the server triggering updates in the client. The server may be intermittently checking that prims are within constraints and resizing them. It is unlikely that the client would just "change" the prim five minutes on from creation. That would require some kind of monitoring thread and a bloat code just to manage something that the server likely restricts anyway.

Oh I know why they are resizing it was just irritating to not have that hard stretch buffer at ten like every other viewer does.
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:15 am

Josef of Ar wrote:Oh I know why they are resizing it was just irritating to not have that hard stretch buffer at ten like every other viewer does.

Hmm, is Singularity specifically an SL viewer? Some open metaverse servers dont have the same prim size restrictions - it may simply be abdicating from having to determine what the maximum size is and leaving it up to the server. It would be simple enough to put in a switch in the build menu, but that road leads to bloat when you end up adding a whole set of "is this SL?" switches plus switches for other platforms etc etc.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Postby Josef of Ar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 am

Aseptimus wrote:
Josef of Ar wrote:Oh I know why they are resizing it was just irritating to not have that hard stretch buffer at ten like every other viewer does.

Hmm, is Singularity specifically an SL viewer? Some open metaverse servers dont have the same prim size restrictions - it may simply be abdicating from having to determine what the maximum size is and leaving it up to the server. It would be simple enough to put in a switch in the build menu, but that road leads to bloat when you end up adding a whole set of "is this SL?" switches plus switches for other platforms etc etc.

You know to be completely honest I really don't know. I didn't really get that much into it before it started crashing like crazy and I just switched back to Phoenix.
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:31 am

Aseptimus wrote:

It lists no other grid options than "second life" , "local" & "second life beta"
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 am

I like it so far its been more stable for me in the week Ive used it then phoenix has the week leading up to the switch also I get about 7 fps faster it seems with it. There's a few quirks that take some time getting used to but over all it reminds me of a snowglobe viewer with the majority of the perks we have all come to love, radar, bouncing boobies.... :lol:
Hockey Stick!
Saleenya Hastings
SL Name: Saleenya Hastings Intense Rage

Postby Saleenya Hastings » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:51 am

It is stable and works well, what I miss is unlimited numbers or letters if emoting.

Phoenix automaticly adjusts the posts so I can just type as much as I want. Besides that its a good alternative I think.
TrollinWitMyHomies
SL Name: Which?
Role: I'm in your threadz, trollin.
Owner: Foamy, the Squirrel

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 am

Saleenya Hastings wrote:It is stable and works well, what I miss is unlimited numbers or letters if emoting.

Phoenix automaticly adjusts the posts so I can just type as much as I want. Besides that its a good alternative I think.

Yes, I tried it too and I hate that it doesn't auto wrap text to a new line once you run out of characters. It makes para rp hard!
All your forum are belong to us.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Tolan McMinnar
SL Name: Tolan McMinnar
AkA: Mean Basterd

Postby Tolan McMinnar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:52 am

Well, I had a look, so far a good and stable thing, but I miss Cool SL Viewers media filter (preventing media being displayed if you disapprove).
The IC law book public domain project: http://lawbook.wikidot.com
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 am

I was on Phoenix, which started acting bizarre for me a few weeks back, despite numerous cleared caches in game and manual, and re-installation: textures painfully slow to load, some not loading at all, crashing/freezing much more often, extremely slow teleports, etc. So I switched to Ascent for awhile, but then it started freezing/crashing, so I ended up on Singularity, and I like it a lot so far. Seems to be more stable and load textures faster for me, and has all the bells and whistles I have grown accustomed to.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:I was on Phoenix, which started acting bizarre for me a few weeks back, despite numerous cleared caches in game and manual, and re-installation: textures painfully slow to load, some not loading at all, crashing/freezing much more often, extremely slow teleports, etc. So I switched to Ascent for awhile, but then it started freezing/crashing, so I ended up on Singularity, and I like it a lot so far. Seems to be more stable and load textures faster for me, and has all the bells and whistles I have grown accustomed to.

I had the same experience above with Phoenix and switched to singularity and like it really well. It seems a bit scaled down though but hopefully in time they will improve it. Oh also, my friend whose hubby used to develop third party viewers is going to look into the backend side of things and give me an opinion tech geeky wise about it soon.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/

Return to “Viewers”