Is it ok to post unedited rp logs?

This forum is for rp logs or summaries people wish others opinions on. Remember if names have not been removed from logs or summaries then the other parties must be informed of your posts. No Exceptions!

Is it OK to include names in rp logs?

Yes - It makes individuals accountable for their role play
19%
Yes - It makes individuals accountable for their role play
19%
No - It is hurtful, insensitive, and humiliating
31%
No - It is hurtful, insensitive, and humiliating
31%

Total votes: 54
Festus
SL Name: Festus

Re: Is it ok to post unedited rp logs?

Postby Festus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 am

It's a loaded question.

There are way too many thin-skinned, over sensitive people who cannot stand their personal selves held up to any kind of scrutiny. They tend to take it as a personal affront, and can't see it for what it really is, just a game and an online forum that has absolutely NOTHING to do with their real life.

So, given that, it is always fun to see these logs posted and the resulting festival of nastiness that insues.
Sidney
SL Name: Sid

Postby Sidney » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 am

Its like thought-casting. It depends on why. When I have a situational issue like this, I make my default on the side of 'kindness' then find reasons to change my default. Not the other way around. So I voted no.

If that makes any sense. It makes sense to me, at least. That way I'm not hurtful accidentally.
Eta
SL Name: Eta Nightfire/Amara Kita
Caste: Outlaw/Artsy Fartsy
Role: Panther/Painter
Home Stone: Shattered Halls

Postby Eta » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:39 am

Mat Vhargon wrote:But for arguments sake lets focus on the incompetence because I doubt anyone has a problem with glowing great reviews of their rp.

Indeed and there is an obvious reason as to why, which really does not need to be pointed out surely?!

Naming people for their incompetence, to which YOU might perceive, is simply trying to or going to possibly humiliate or hurt that person. It has no positive meaning or point other than that. It's weak, vindictive and low.

If you wish to post complaining about how a rp scene went for you or another or whatever ,to seek answers, opinions and or backing you up in your thoughts, then do so without naming and shaming that person. It's that easy.
"We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It`s a death trap." Anthony Hopkins.
Runt
SL Name: Pie
Owner: Real Life

Postby Runt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am

JohnP wrote:It's a loaded question.

There are way too many thin-skinned, over sensitive people who cannot stand their personal selves held up to any kind of scrutiny. They tend to take it as a personal affront, and can't see it for what it really is, just a game and an online forum that has absolutely NOTHING to do with their real life.

So, given that, it is always fun to see these logs posted and the resulting festival of nastiness that insues.

Except John that in here, we're our real selves, not the characters we portray in world. The Gorums are a medium to discuss the game, not the game itself. If someone posts a log with the intent to prove how awful another roleplayer is, that -is- a personal insult and it can be hurtful. Granted not everyone will take it like that. As you said, some are more thick skinned then others. But you can't fault someone for being hurt when they're the butt of the Gorums joke.

I'll tell you why I x out names on the rare occassions that I post logs. I could come here for advice on whether a roleplay went bad because of X,Y, or Z. No matter the reason that I've asked for the opinions, there's a high chance that at least one person will walk away, disgusted with the person's rp that I named and vowing to stay away from the "DRAMA QUEEN" (etc). I won't do that to another player.
Eta
SL Name: Eta Nightfire/Amara Kita
Caste: Outlaw/Artsy Fartsy
Role: Panther/Painter
Home Stone: Shattered Halls

Postby Eta » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 am

JohnP wrote:It's a loaded question.

Are you so full of yourself and so wonderful that you can't take into account of how some other people might feel? So, basically, what you are saying is that it is fine to post a log naming someone and pointing out how inadequate their rp was and lets all join in point at and laugh at, no matter what that time of day was like for them or perhaps that they simply are not all that great as you and you buddies are in rp skill!? So lets attack and laugh at? Are you really condoning this the way you seem to be saying? :ohgawd: :clap:
"We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It`s a death trap." Anthony Hopkins.
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

everyone has off days, I don't think that is a question. But if one person is consistently shown to rp in a very similar way or even a group of people are shown to rp in consistently the same way, if this way is not what you are looking for I think it serves as a tool to allow yourself to avoid such situations that you will not enjoy. One log will not do this but consistent actions pointing to the same conclusion would.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Festus
SL Name: Festus

Postby Festus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

What I'm saying is that if you cannot stand up to criticism, and if you are so unwilling to just ignore others if they insult you, then you shouldn't be reading forums in the first place. Online sites like this are notorious for that kind of behavior. The fact that this one is dedicated to discussing things that happen in another online venue just makes it all the more likely that these critiques will happen.

People hide behind the anonymity of the internet, and therefore it is well established that they become more intolerant and hurtful in the expression of their ideas. It happens all the time in SL, just as it does here. There's also the whole cultural differences thing going on, where what might be normal conversation in one culture comes off as rude and insulting in another.

If it bothers you so much (and here is the requisite disclaimer that YOU doesn't mean YOU specifically), then stop reading those threads, or stop coming here, or stop rping, or do one of the other hundred things you can do to keep yourself being bothered by it. Trying to change everyone else, or making a million rules about other people's behavior just so that you aren't offended is a losing effort, and one that will cause you much stress in your life.
Sita
SL Name: ...

Postby Sita » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Main chat, public, in character RP is up for scrutiny and discussion in my opinion. This might surprise people who know me because I notoriously hate people scrutinizing my writing. I didn't even want to post my character backstory for this reason and I did get IMs that insulted the writing. Regularly people will post nasty comments here about the evils of paragraphs, narratives and sex in main chat and people tell me how to write so that they'll deign to RP with me. So yeah, I get it. It doesn't feel nice to be insulted. Would it be better if my RP was represented by XXXXX? No, I don't see how that affords me any extra dignity.

What I say in character, in main chat, is up for the scrutiny
of all in chat range. I've given permission by posting there for people to know I said it and discuss it.

Besides, guys, if we can't discuss RP what will we do here? Debate kneeling for the 467876432456th time?
Runt
SL Name: Pie
Owner: Real Life

Postby Runt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 pm

John: Thanks for explaining.

I suppose I don't like the concept of being told that the person insulted should buck up, be more thick skinned and learn to ignore the insulter. What about the intent of the poster? What good could possibly come from posting a log with names to a public debate forum? The only good that I can think of is to point out the flaws and "warn" others, or make others aware of the horrible rp they'd most likely get from a certain group or player. Whether it's an outright slander post or a passive aggressive one, that doesn't seem right to me.

Hell I'm not perfect. I didn't walk into Gor knowing what I was doing. I've come a long way from my first days in SL Gor. I was a mouthy invalid calling meter resetter that could out one line the best of them. I got so mad once that I downed a guy while I was still bubbled. I'm sure people could dig back a year or two and post some really stupid shit I did, and tell everyone to avoid me because I'm nothing but drama. But that was their experience, not the one that people would get with me now. There are people in SL Gor that I think nobody in their right mind would rp with, but it's not my job to force that idea on everyone else. To each his own.

I really don't think that anyone should take on the role of Warning God. If you have a bad experience, and you want to actually discuss it to see where you went wrong, or where you could have turned it back around, etc...then there's no need to apply the names...even if they are the worst of the worst. That's what personal RP limits in your profile are for.

I feel like I need to add a disclaimer. Like I said, personally this wouldn't bother me because I'm confident in what I put out in roleplay, and because I only say things that I don't mind people posting all over the place if they want to. I'd happily debate my roleplay, if it ever came to that. But I'm not everyone. ;)
Sita
SL Name: ...

Postby Sita » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I feel you Runt. From these forums people think they have me all figured out. It does suck. I'm more likely to debate whether it's good form to post "Is this good" type threads at all though.

Return to “Reviews”