Origin gives away 'Dead Space' for free

Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Origin gives away 'Dead Space' for free

Postby Theoden » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:11 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/27/ ... -on-origin

Just download Origin to your PC, then download Dead Space. 100% free apparently. Thanks EA :P wow never thought i'd say that...

It's a pretty good game, sci-fi horror gore... basically space zombie creatures that want to kill you. Good narratives and storyline, and better than the sequels from what I hear. I've played it up to a point... I stopped playing because the stress got to me. One can only handle so many mutated undead coming to split your body in half for so long....
Theoden

Re: Origin gives away 'Dead Space' for free

Postby Theoden » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm

here's the plot of the story with some footage , all in 5 minutes, if you want a preview.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/01/de ... -5-minutes
HaulsRopesFaster
SL Name: Nikolai Krutschek
Caste: Sailors
Role: Quartermaster
Home Stone: Jungles of Schendi
AkA: Hauls Ropes Faster

Postby HaulsRopesFaster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 pm

A damn good game that was given unnecessary sequels and later buried by EA because those money grubbin bastards said "it didn't make enough money"...horseshit

My disdain for EA aside,I agree with Theo get this game.
"They call me 'Hauls Ropes Faster', because the Non-Schendi struggle to say my name"

On indefinite shore leave in Lydius at the moment.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:19 pm

The Batman Arkham Series are all 75% off this weekend to on Steam, I just got Origin's for 10 dollars.
Hockey Stick!
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Theoden wrote:I stopped playing because the stress got to me. One can only handle so many mutated undead coming to split your body in half for so long....

Ah, going to give it a pass, then. I am a bit of a pussy when it comes to games like that. Spread-out moments of player-stress are cool, but having to be on constant guard for monsters jumping you from everywhere grates seriously on my nerves. I like to plan, think tactically, scope things out, take them unawares. :ninja: Not the other way around. :hiding:
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 pm

What an AWESOME deal!

"Download our spying software that files even through your unrelated private folders and you get an older game for free!"

Yay.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Glaucon wrote:
Theoden wrote:I stopped playing because the stress got to me. One can only handle so many mutated undead coming to split your body in half for so long....

Ah, going to give it a pass, then. I am a bit of a pussy when it comes to games like that. Spread-out moments of player-stress are cool, but having to be on constant guard for monsters jumping you from everywhere grates seriously on my nerves. I like to plan, think tactically, scope things out, take them unawares. :ninja: Not the other way around. :hiding:

Yeah this kind of games scare the hell outta me :woo:
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Theoden

Postby Theoden » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:11 pm

I ended up just watching youtube play-throughs of the Dead Space series. I love the story... I just have to watch as a passive viewer, rather than actually being in control and alert-or-else-you-die-to-that-mutant-tentacled-humanbaby
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 pm

Yeah. Horror usually doesn't scare me that much, but playing something that you'd have no problem watching is another matter. You are more involved, so it feels a lot more 'real'. And the reality of being chased and attacked by zombie monsters in outer space would kinda suck, probably. ;)

There is an 'Alien' game they are making in which you just 'fight' a single one of those aliens. Only, you can't really fight it, you have to hide and run from it, figure out where it is going to come from as it hunts you and evade it somehow. Such a cool concept. And so much a game I do NOT want to play. :fleeflee:
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:49 am

So I'm a huge afficianado of horror games... from atmospheric to splatter if it's icky and scary, I'm there. The Dead Space series quickly became one of my faves too, not just because of gameplay but because the universe and story is -really- interesting and they do a fantastic job of communicating the story through the world itself.

It took me back to System Shock 2 and that growing sense of "wtf?". Now I know the sequels get a lot of shit, but I'll say it now, Dead Space 2 was the perfect sequel.

Dead Space is Alien. Atmosphere with moments of shrieking terror. There's a lot of splatter and gore, but it's more about making you creeped out, wondering.

Dead Space 2 didn't try to do the same thing as Dead Space. If they had gone for the same approach it woulda gone nowhere because there wasn't so much discovery. The first game was like a Lovecraft story where you slowly learned who, what, where... DS2 you already knew what the Necromorphs were, where they came from... they had far less story to divvy out. So instead they went the Aliens route. I like to see it as one of the few examples of a well-done Splatterpunk game. It's icky and gooey and full of body horror, but also has a LOT of effective scenes.

Tamar watched me play and more than a few times she'd go "what is -that-?" in revulsion... and things like the dead Unitarians? Pitch perfect for the setting.

Don't listen to the naysayers, they're both -fantastic-. And the setting is great too.

Dead Space 3?

Shit. As a horror game it's shit. It's not scary. It's sedate. And frankly, the horror goes out the window when Tamar and I can be playing and I can start puppet shows with dead bodies.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Return to “Games”