Everquest Next

Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: Everquest Next

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

So EQ Next and EQ Landmark will not be merged into a single game?
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:So EQ Next and EQ Landmark will not be merged into a single game?

EQN:Landmark serves both as a stand-alone game and as the design corner for EQN. Templates made in Landmark can be sold and used in the MMORPG EQN which will use the same game engine, voxel, destructible / repairable world and gathering and crafting but building will be a lot more regulated and restricted from what I could understand. I also believe they're going to add premade designs and templates to EQN for which you could gather materials and then build it somewhere.

The details are still vague and it'll probably take a while before they'll clarify exactly how everything is supposed to work in EQN.

If anything the good part will be that it's going to be a sandbox MMO without letting people making their own gameplay rules and RP bans :P
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:So EQ Next and EQ Landmark will not be merged into a single game?

EQN:Landmark serves both as a stand-alone game and as the design corner for EQN. Templates made in Landmark can be sold and used in the MMORPG EQN which will use the same game engine, voxel, destructible / repairable world and gathering and crafting but building will be a lot more regulated and restricted from what I could understand. I also believe they're going to add premade designs and templates to EQN for which you could gather materials and then build it somewhere.

The details are still vague and it'll probably take a while before they'll clarify exactly how everything is supposed to work in EQN.

If anything the good part will be that it's going to be a sandbox MMO without letting people making their own gameplay rules and RP bans :P

INVALID!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:52 pm

EQN's graphics will be superior to SL with better lighting and shadow effects, without needing to bake them onto your textures. So long as they provide a detailed texture palette, the builds should render to a reasonable result.

Camelot Unchained is expecting a 2015 release, with a similar scope to EQN, but focused on PvP - or RvR - as it's headed by the original developer from Dark Age of Camelot.

Camelot Unchained wrote:
Last, but certainly not least, let us focus on the part of our game where we can claim the strongest use of the sandbox and open-world mechanics, RvR. Because we are eschewing PvE, we are also simultaneously saying goodbye to the most linear of all MMORPGs elements, the storyline. Of all the things that make the vast majority of MMORPGs feel like theme parks, it is how the designers lay out and intertwine the story arc, world and a character’s progression through them. CU will have a strong backstory of course but CU will not have a story arc created by a writer; rather the players will write that story as their accomplishments both fill out and change the world. While CU does have a box around it (for example, you can’t eliminate the other side(s) from the game and/or drive them from the whole world), the players themselves, and not the designers, shape and evolve the territory on which the RvR action unfolds. We will give the players the tools that they need to capture and control territories, to build and teardown structures, to engage nightly in RvR battles and to call upon forces that can physically change the world but in what order/manner this happens is based solely on the players’ actions and not a pre-determined story arc. While we will lay out the world’s topography and we will place a limited number of some key structures throughout it, it will be the players who will determine where the vast majority of the structures are placed and how they will be arranged, what their function is and even their power. This is truly the embodiment of the sandbox mechanic, as it will apply to CU and any other game of the same type and besides, maybe there are some rather powerful beings that even do more than simply building and destroying structures.

What this all means is that CU cannot rightfully claim to be a “true sandbox MMORPG” but what it can be is an MMORPG that will have more in common with sandbox games than theme-park games.

Oakblade asked: Will we have complete freedom in how we build in allowable areas?

This is a tough one. We want to allow players to be ultra creative with their building designs, without having the countryside littered with wood and stone genetalia. Some of you might love to create a giant phallus home in which to mount your battle trophies… For others, that oversized penis-like thing kinda breaks immersion. This issue will require a lot of thought and careful planning! Truth is, to allow the level of creativity we desire, over-sized replicas of organs may not be avoidable, we shall see.
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 am

It's been on my mind to try Landmark, now it's on Steam sale till tomorrow.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297810/
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

This is really starting to look like a mix of a traditional MMOG and SL. Interesting.
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Next is dead but Landmark is still alive. Spring release, $10.

http://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-next-i ... er_pcgamer

Also, from the FAQ:

"Player Studio is currently available in Landmark and offers players the opportunity to create in-game items that can be sold in the marketplace for royalties (i.e. real world money!) After you've mastered building in Landmark, take your creations to the next level! Save a piece of your creation or the entire project as a template. Price them and place them on the Showcase Marketplace and earn real money when other players purchase them."
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:06 am

It's another poor show from Daybreak. Since Sony sold off SOE(Sony Online Entertainment) to Daybreak, it's been one money-grabbing scandal after another.

Landmark has probably suffered the worst, I installed it briefly before the transfer and figured I'd give it some time to mature. Then Daybreak took over, people started losing builds, inventories were randomly reset and the population nose-dived overnight.

Going by their involvement in H1Z1, a much more popular game, which itself hasn't seen much of an update since Daybreak. Except they've split the game into two components and are selling each at the full price. And they will make Landmark B2P now, unlike SOE's F2P model.

Landmark itself will become redundant as the whole idea was to create items you could transfer into EQ Next and sell for actual dollars.

But I like this quote, because... they'll continue to support games developed 20 years ago, so that's reassuring.

“The future of the EverQuest franchise as a whole is important to us here at Daybreak. EverQuest in all its forms is near and dear to our hearts. EverQuest and EverQuest II are going strong. Rest assured that our passion to grow the world of EverQuest remains undiminished.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc1CgmAVhqk
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:58 pm

All that effort in PR and marketing and then they just ... meh. Probably the last time I'll be hyped for a new upcoming MMO, I didn't even touch Black Desert either.
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 pm

I passed on Black Desert after reading the EU/NA forums, too many kids. These MMOs now are just a senseless, full-time grind which appeals to a younger generation.

There are other 'Sandbox' MMOs in the works, like these I've been keeping an eye on:

Gloria Victis - A lesser known MMO, with town building features.
Trailers; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkiUb7Arqs , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dGAUK_W9A

The Repopulation - The spiritual successor to Star Wars: Galaxies. They were scheduled to go live in January, then their troubles with HeroEngine forced a shift to Unreal Engine. It'll delay release by a year or so but I'm glad about it, as I wanted to like the game through the previous alphas but the HeroEngine is dated and wasn't helping at all. The Unreal trailer is already showing improvements. (all the usual sandboxy building, classless system, ridiculous amounts of crafting...)
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLraupGaSY

Life is Feudal - Beta-testing for the MMO finally begins this month/April. Town building, farming, crafting... and war with motherfuckers who trespass on your land. There will be penalties for random ganking to keep it above games like Darkfall/Mortal Online and focus the combat against enemy towns.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APL4r7p3vUg

Crowfall - It's not a traditional MMO, but has enough unique features to stay on the radar.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFIjHrwTe0w

Camelot Unchained - I don't get excited for MMOs any longer but I'll make an exception for CU - The true successor to Dark Age of Camelot. I could say a lot for everything which DAoC had, which modern MMOs don't, that talk is for another day. Camelot Unchained will release with minimal PvE content, The structures will be mostly player designed and built, armour/weapons are all player crafted and the rest of it is PvP. The only endgame grinding we did in DAoC was farming other players, that's the good kind of grinding which Mark Jacobs wants for CU too, he's designed both of these games. They're building a game to cope with huge battles of hundreds of players on each side - beyond the scale of any other MMO, except EVE.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXCAQ9HSne8

Pathfinder Online and Shroud of the Avatar didn't make the list, I doubt either will amount to anything, though they both had potential.

Return to “Games”