Everquest Next

HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Everquest Next

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Well the biggest difference between WoW and other MMOs is the fact that EverQuest is going to be the first major sandbox MMO since before WoW influenced the market, since EVE Online basically.

Most MMOs since WoW are all about a leveling and dungeon threadmill. Sandbox MMOs are about playermade factions, economics, politics, building and crafting.

Want to be purely a merchant that buys and sells stuff? No problem the game will offer you gameplay. Want to be mainly a forester that collects wood for his faction and protects the forest from enemy patrols and scouts? Go ahead. Want to take on a large military leadership role? Politician? Dungeoneering heroic paladin? The game allows you to do those things without making you feel as if you're not actually playing the game.

The biggest draw for me is that they want to have enemy factions AI. So you won't have orcs spawning over and over again in the same area. The enemy orc faction will try to build it's own new fortresses, barracks, gather resources to craft gear for it's patrols, raiders and armies and will try to conquer land and it's up to the playerbase to rally together and offer opposition.

It basically tries to put the emphasis a lot more on combining roleplay with gameplay.

But calling a sandbox MMO the same shit as all the railroad MMOs we've had over the past decade just isn't right. They're not the same thing at all.

Ok. I understand.

I see the appeal in the idea - but the game itself doesn't seem very - flashy.

I've seen WoW played a fair bit, and when I saw GW2 the videos made me excited to try it. I actually picked up the deluxe edition and just...never got into it. I think from a lack of friends playing.

Everquest - I dunno. Maybe its super attractive to people who played older versions. But I look at these videos and just sort of shrug.

It doesnt draw me in.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 am

I dunno, looking at those videos the graphics look like most newer MMOs, and the avatars? OMG! Is that game geared towards 12 years old kids only? I am really, really disappointed. They look like bad 3D comics on TV. :(
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:59 am

Frevet wrote:I dunno, looking at those videos the graphics look like most newer MMOs, and the avatars? OMG! Is that game geared towards 12 years old kids only? I am really, really disappointed. They look like bad 3D comics on TV. :(

Hm, the graphics are pretty high definition to me. It's also the first game that I know of which is about to use voxel technology so in that regard it is a truely 'next-gen' game at least. Traditionally MMOs always have graphics worse than single player games, but I can't complain about the quality of this one at all. If anything it reminds me of the HD graphics of a Wii-U Mario game.

The artstyle seems heavily inspired by Disney / Pixar 3D movies, but curiously enough the alpha has a 'Mature rating' so far.

I'm fully expecting this game to become a major hit, if only because of how strongly it'll draw upon the large Minecraft playerbase and all RPG gamers who have been waiting for a big budget sandbox MMO over the past decade.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I'm in the alpha right now. The game is pretty wonky and buggy, but damn... from what I've seen so far this game is completely going to blow Minecraft out of the water if only because of it's building and design engine alone.

You ended up doing the alpha? I almost clicked the buy button last weekend. Let me know how you like in a couple weeks and I might come bug you!!!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Eve Cartier
SL Name: Eve Cartier
Caste: Merchant
Role: Stoic Reminder

Postby Eve Cartier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 am

So, this is where I have been hiding.

Sabriel pointed out something that mentioned "build tools" and I was off to see what I could learn. Here's what I have learned thus far...

- It is still alpha, so I'm being fair and holding judgement. Thus far, the only thing you can do in the game is run around, collect materials and craft items or build with said materials. There are no animals or creatures to fight and even the types of materials you can collect are extremely limited. That said, for an alpha, it's rather pretty (though following the WoW format by making everything look a little too cartoony in my less than humble opinion).

- Not only do you gather materials to use to craft and build with, but you have to gather materials to trade in for build tools. As a builder, I was less than pleased to learn I would have to waste two weeks gathering items just to be able to gather more items so I could actually build. As a gamer though, I can entirely see the point of it.

- Apparently there are more than a few full game wipes planned in the future, so any materials crafted or gathered now will all be erased in the future. As far as I can tell, that is making a lot of people get in, figure out the mechanics, then get out, because there isn't really a good reason to stick around right now since everything you obtain will be taken away from you in the future anyway. The maps are extremely devoid of people. I am very lucky if I run into even a single person when I am there.

- Like SL, you have to claim land to be able to build anything permanent or to set out any crafted item you have made.

As for the building side... there are good things, and bad things.
- Not having a full set of building tools the day I walk in still makes me twitch.. but I get it.
- As I have worked with the tools, I have come up with this analogy; building in SL is like building with legos. You snap pieces together, but at the end of the day, they are still individual pieces. Unlink them and they still hold their individual characteristics. Building in EQNext is like working with clay. You put the pieces together, but trying to take it apart in large pieces is impossible. Once it's "Stuck" together, it becomes one item. There are up sides to this though...
- Unlike SL, you can create holes in the prim (they call them voxels there)anywhere you want. Any builder that has fought the "I want a window but I don't want the bottom edge of it to be at forehead level!" problem in SL knows what I am talking about.
- Also, because you are working with something that is more like clay, you can build.. any shape.. really. As SL builders we're kind of stuck with the prims we are given, or have to go out and make a specific mesh to do what we need if it needs to be a shape different from the basic prim. In EQNext, you are building with a series of tiny squares, like Minecraft. Unlike Minecraft, though, you can use a smoothing tool to run over the shapes to smooth away the boxy edges. That means you can create any shape you want by building it out of small squares, then smoothing over the whole structure. It is not perfect though and often, "smoothed" items end up with all the sharp corners gone, but still rather bumpy in appearance.
- The voxels are all squarish in nature. There are no tubes, no cylinders, and the only sphere is a little wonky (too big for small things, too small for big things). Though you can smooth things out a bit, trying to make a cylinder out of tiny cubes is mind numbing.
- They are already setting up a way for you to create, save and sell buildings you make, just like the SL marketplace. Unlike the SL Marketplace, they want to take 60% of your earnings... OUCH!

As for what I don't like thus far...

- The place is overrun with minecraft builders. You can tell because damned near ever building that I have seen is, first, a GIANT fortress/castle/palace. Secondly, being in minecraft they are used to buildings looking like they are made out of square blocks and no one seems to blink an eye at the very, almost pixelated, appearance of everything. Coming from the land 'o the mesh, it makes me twitch. My HOPE is that, over time, that way of looking at things will disappear. Otherwise, it is going to be one ugly ass land.

- Which brings me to this concern. I like my MMORPG games to be pretty. I like running through Guild Wars into a new city and seeing the amazing builds the professionals have done. I'm not so sure I want to be in a game where I am running around, collecting resources, fighting critters and suddenly get to run into some immature idiot's giant voxel penis tower. I just worry it has the potential of looking a great deal like the SL mainland over time with everyone building whatever they want.... with some monster killing thrown in.

- Textures. I know textures are lag's bane, but they really are everything to a build. In EQ Next, as far as I can tell, you have to collect your textures just like you collect resources. This means there are limited textures. That's good for lag, bad for creativity. It also means you start seeing the same textures everywhere.

- The building tools are ROUGH. Again, it's alpha so I'm waiting but I would KILL for a zoom out or zoom in. I have to position my character to be able to see what I am building. That means, sometimes I have to build a stack of blocks to jump up to a roof to see the roof so I can build said roof. That gets old.. fast.

So.. I don't know. From a building standpoint, there are some great things and there are some annoying things. Then again, I was around in alpha SL when we only had a handful of prim types and textures to pick from, yet look where we are now. I have no doubt that they will have the ability to change things over time so the game will evolve to suit their customers. It will be interesting to watch.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 am

Interesting point about the building turning EQN into a mainland type clusterfuck, Eve. I hadn't considered that but it seems obvious when you think about it. Does each individual have to build for themselves, or can they choose a good designer to do their building for them like in SL?
Eve Cartier

Postby Eve Cartier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I believe it will be handled slightly differently.

One of two ways...

First, you can join a group and the land is claimed to the group so anyone in the group can build there. I know in SL, when I am hired to build, people make me one of their sim managers while I build, then take me off the list when I am done, but it doesn't matter because my prims remain. I'm not sure if it can work the same in EQ Next or if, when you take someone off your land group, if their voxels disappear. I doubt it since voxels don't have individual characteristics so I would be surprised if they went away with the person.

Secondly, you can build a building, then save it as a template. That template can then be sold on their market. I *BELIEVE* what will happen then is the template works like a blueprint, telling the one who bought it what materials they have to gather in order to bring it out of their inventory. So there is a possibility a builder could build something for you then sell you the template and once you collect your own materials you could pop it out yourself.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Yes, and also remember that EQN:Landmark and EQN are two different 'things'. Landmark is the 'designers corner' basically. EQN will be the MMO game in which you won't be able to build much besides placing down templates in certain restricted areas, and most likely these restricted areas, villages or cities will be owned by large guilds who probably will have certain regulations about how your houses must look to fit into the their village or city.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I do find the overall concept quite interesting, but most of what is being said here about the execution here is less promising. The visuals didn't seem bad to me, to be honest.

I guess that if you make a sandbox game in which people can build lots of stuff, and you also want those structures to look 'authentic', as in... somewhat like the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a medieval/fantasy world, you should include things in the building system that cause people to gravitate to 'theme-appropriate' building styles. One of the reasons folks in much of the middle ages liked building round towers was because those were fairly easy to build and suited their purposes, just as, nowadays, it is easier and more functional to build glass and concrete square office blocks.

That requires a LOT of intelligence from the creators of the build tools to be used within a game like this.
Eve Cartier

Postby Eve Cartier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Absolutely.

If nothing else I keep thinking back to SL alpha and where it was in comparison and this is LIGHT YEARS ahead.
While the build tools, in my option, are not nearly as good as SL, I think the overall potential is dramatic and I fully expect that in years to come we'll see this overtake SL's build capabilities by leaps and bounds.

All that said, I am extremely build-centric in my views concerning the game. When it comes to game play, RP and guild interaction, who knows where that might go.

Return to “Games”