Everquest Next

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Everquest Next

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 am

Some pretty amazing reveal yesterday about EverQuest Next. I've been waiting a pretty long time for a polished sandbox MMO to show up again.

It'll basically be a mixture between Minecraft and WoW (without 'leveling' or instanced dungeons) and villain faction AI comparable to that of Civ5.

1. Character progression

There are no "player levels" in the game, but there will be storylines and questchains hidden around the world, which upon completion let you train new classes or new skills for that class. They were also talking about a crafting system very similar to Minecraft. So far they announced the game will have 48 different classes, but they allow you to multi-class, combine different classes together for your character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_0neHhR0k&feature=player_embedded

2. Procedurally generated environments

I'm not quite sure yet how they'll put it in action, but apparently the environments, caverns, castles and dungeons will be procedurally generated, meaning that if people haven't been to a certain area for a period of time that the game will redesign the place.

3. Voxel engine. Build and Destroy environments

This is the really big one. The game allows you to build things very much like Minecraft. The terrain, trees, structures all are destructable too. They were talking about siege engines to strategically take out city defenses and all that and even showed a video of a giant stomping a castle to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVBAreJ6zuY&feature=player_embedded

4. Dynamic Enemy faction AI

They described how they were going to give every enemy faction in the game it's own prefences. Such as Orcs preferring to settle in quiet locations with the occassional person passing by they could rob and attack. The game will keep track of certain characteristics of environments (how busy they are, how often players, NPC traders or NPC guards pass through, etc.) and then will make specific factions settle in suitable areas or move away from there. This way the player actions have a permanent lasting effect on the world, if the Orcs get harassed too much they'll simply move away to go live in a quieter area, or if the circumstances require it and an enemy faction gathered enough resources they might try fortify their encampment instead or have the Orc King send over extra tough armies to wage war in the area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPuEl5Nuk&feature=player_embedded

5. Longterm Quest-goals

The game also focusses on spreading out multiple "Rallying Calls" around the world as they called it. These are public quests that many people together can work on and can take up to a few months to complete. They gave as example a quest to go build a new city somewhere. Players would have to help gather materials, explore the surroundings, and based on their interactions with the rest of the environment (NPC factions in the area) the overall progress of the quest would change. For example once the village is built it would need to be protected from goblin raids, or from cave monsters, or even an enemy human faction laying siege upon the city and all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEPDV6wrgRs

In December they're releasing "EverQuest Next: Landmark" which will allow people to play around with the building features of the next-gen MMO already.

To me simply all the things they announced that the game will have completely blows the entire MMO genre out of the water. Completely reinventing the genre and raising the bar.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: Everquest Next

Postby Leah » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:37 am

Saw this earlier, watched the gameplay videos. I wasn't very impressed with the graphics or the physics (specifically the way characters moved). But I'm not sure if that was a function of the video quality or actual issues.

In general, I echo the words of a friend of mine on the game:

"This game seems more like Minecraft/Teraria than WoW. I'm very interested in the building/destruction features and hope it lives up to expectations.

"However, I am skeptical.

"EverQuest 2 promised free-moving clothing, flowing grass, several different job choices and visuals unseen in the MMO genre. It delivered on none of those."

So we'll see. I hope it turns out to be as awesome as the initial information, tho.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Mal has been investigating this non stop since yesterday when they showed the relaunch. We both played EQ 1 and 2 for a very long time. The members of our old guild are coming back together to discuss this. Mal has already applied for 2 beta accounts to try it.

From what I understand, it is sort of like..SL meets EQ and has a baby which is EQ Next. You can build the environment, sell pieces of it if you want for real cash and still kill shit. LOL.

So, you build your guild hall and cities, post guards around it, then the game sends monsters to live near it, you attack those monsters and they can do anything from "run away and move to a different area" or "run away and come back with a buttload of monster friends to attack you back." in other words....the game "thinks" which is rather frightening.

The land it'self changes, you destroy a bridge and it doesn't just pop back up after a few minutes, it stays gone until you build another.

One thing I have always wanted out of WoW, or EQ, is a world where you can roleplay but still get stronger, better, faster...still level up yet be able to really "live" in that moment. It's essentially a "real time" environment that people can actually work with instead of work "in". I find that fascinating, and I am very curious of how it is all going to turn out.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Leah

Postby Leah » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Ceri the Urt wrote:From what I understand, it is sort of like..SL meets EQ and has a baby which is EQ Next. You can build the environment, sell pieces of it if you want for real cash and still kill shit. LOL.

This is EXACTLY what I thought when reading about all of the details. "Oh my god, Second Life had a bastard child with Everquest...O_O"

Which could be amazing and be much better than Second Life is. But, again, I wanna see it, first. Don't trust 'em. :problem:

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm in the alpha right now. The game is pretty wonky and buggy, but damn... from what I've seen so far this game is completely going to blow Minecraft out of the water if only because of it's building and design engine alone.

Right now Landmark serves as a sort of 'designers corner' where people can make templates for buildings and such which they'd later on be able to put down in actual player made cities and villages in the actual game. But the design options it gives are like a voxel AutoCAD engine. You don't have to put down block per block, you can make entire 3D selections, fill them up, cut them out, copy and select pieces you've already made.

People made some amazing things in Minecraft, they'll be able to make even more amazing (non-cubic) things with this game.

The "heroic movement" engine is also in the game already and it's one of the main things that sets it miles apart from other MMOs already. It really makes a big difference when you can smoothly control your character in any direction and it automatically jumps over small obstacles, hangs from cliffs, climbs and slides whenever it would make movement smoother.

Below is a video that gives a quick overview of the building tools that are available so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrg2Diw2poE
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 pm

It just...looks underwhelming.

I think most people play minecraft because its addictive and you can be amazed out of what can be made out of some blocks.

The character movements from the video just look poor - the transitions are lack-luster.

It just doesn't feel "special".

Of course, I dont play WoW. I picked up GW2 and played about 3 hours of it...max.

I just feel like the market is saturated, and this doesn't have as much brand power anymore.

Its like the Myspace of MMO's.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Well the biggest difference between WoW and other MMOs is the fact that EverQuest is going to be the first major sandbox MMO since before WoW influenced the market, since EVE Online basically.

Most MMOs since WoW are all about a leveling and dungeon threadmill. Sandbox MMOs are about playermade factions, economics, politics, building and crafting.

Want to be purely a merchant that buys and sells stuff? No problem the game will offer you gameplay. Want to be mainly a forester that collects wood for his faction and protects the forest from enemy patrols and scouts? Go ahead. Want to take on a large military leadership role? Politician? Dungeoneering heroic paladin? The game allows you to do those things without making you feel as if you're not actually playing the game.

The biggest draw for me is that they want to have enemy factions AI. So you won't have orcs spawning over and over again in the same area. The enemy orc faction will try to build it's own new fortresses, barracks, gather resources to craft gear for it's patrols, raiders and armies and will try to conquer land and it's up to the playerbase to rally together and offer opposition.

It basically tries to put the emphasis a lot more on combining roleplay with gameplay.

But calling a sandbox MMO the same shit as all the railroad MMOs we've had over the past decade just isn't right. They're not the same thing at all.
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Bring these build tools into SL!

The graphics look nice. The demolition looks too clunky, and by now there is no excuse for that. Having played red faction back in the day with geomodding, I'm just disappointed that has yet to catch on smoothly. I find the avatars to look horrible, having once played Everquest for the style in the past, it just throws that concept out to try to appeal to younger WoW type gamers and I don't approve.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Leah

Postby Leah » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:24 pm

I want to check it out, but there's a pay wall to get into the Alpha. :lol:

Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Postby Shjade » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Getting a distinct SW:G vibe about this whole thing. And not in a good way.

Most likely one of those games I'll keep a vague eye on but won't end up even playing through a trial (if offered).
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Return to “Games”