Finishing a game

Glaucon

Finishing a game

Postby Glaucon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm

I wonder, does anyone feel the same?

I like playing games, especially the immersive, involved sort (the kind that tends to eat up your time, generally), not the fast-and-quick or easy-to-get-into ones. I love RPG's (especially ones with good dialogue) and I quite like strategy games too. But... somehow, I tend to stop enjoying them, wanting to play on, once I get over halfway through the game, when the end starts coming nearer. Even when the game is good.

For example: Oblivion: unfinished. Skyrim, unfinished, Fallout New Vegas, unfinished, Dragon Age 2, unfinished, Mass Effect 2 (only one I played): unfinished. Total War games: nearly always leave them unfinished.

I am not sure why. Maybe because I like feeling there is more ahead of me. Or is it just that the gameplay gets less interesting later on...

Anyone feel the same way?
Resolver Bouchard

Re: Finishing a game

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm terrible at finishing games. The kotor 1 &2 and metal gear solid are the only recent ones I've finished. I just loose interest.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm not really sure if there is ever a finish really to games like skyrim and oblivion sure there's the main story lines but there are well dozen of them it feels like in TES games, games like mass effect and dragon age, are more easier to finish to me, though I admit, I never finished the expansion, mostly because I just get bored of it since I usually wanna play a Dragon age origin's character straight thru to then play in the awakening expansion. But yea sometimes with as busy as life is, it is hard to find the time to finish a game especially when it feels like all your doing is grinding at times, that was what burned me out on Star wars, I really wanted to finish my storyline, but I just got tired of feeling like I had to grind to get bigger so I could advance through worlds, that and it just started to feel repitive on every planet, go here kill this, go here collect these, go here fight boss, so on and so on.
Hockey Stick!
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes, it is time, often, as well. And stopping a game for a while, then restarting it, finding the bits you already did a bit boring, the second time... and stopping again.

But there is also something... I guess I like the 'build up'. In movies as well. I generally like the first half much better than I like the second half, especially so in action-oriented movies. Same with books, mostly. The grand finally generally doesn't interest me so much. When everything is revealed, the mytery is gone.
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:55 am

I usually dig into games and not only finish them but try and get all the obscure trophies along the way.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden

Postby Theoden » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Why don't you play something just shorter in length that would not lose your attention? A play through of Modern Warfare or Call of Duty Single Player Campaign games last around 5 to 7 hours.
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Finishing a game

Postby Dren Bernard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Newness is addictive, familiarity is end game. Starting of an a new journey is clearly more engrossing than reaching it's destination. Never arriving allows one to be forever young.
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Theoden wrote:Why don't you play something just shorter in length that would not lose your attention? A play through of Modern Warfare or Call of Duty Single Player Campaign games last around 5 to 7 hours.

Oh, those games are way too short for me. It is like getting into a very short book: by the time you like it, it is over. I LIKE the fact that it is a long game, even if I don't finish it. It is just a bit odd.

Newness is addictive, familiarity is end game. Starting of an a new journey is clearly more engrossing than reaching it's destination. Never arriving allows one to be forever young.

Yes, I guess it is that.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden

Postby Theoden » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:30 am

Actually, I think I'm beginning to understand what you're saying Glaucon.

I love to buy new books and read them. I usually stop around the middle and get bored and buy another.

That was me when I was younger though...
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:46 am

I think the problems with games such as Oblivion, Dragon Age etc. are the breaks you have to take due to lack of time. I STILL have the Witcher 2 here, the game is awesome, fantastic, bombastic. I haven't finished it. Why? Because midway through it, I went off for vacations, came back home and couldn't get immersed anymore. I had forgotten half of the storylines, the quest, I had to re-read most of it and doing it all again seemed boring. I WILL finish it one day, like with most games, but I will wait for a timespan when I will have a lot of freetime, vacations for example, or around x-mas.

For me, any game with an indepth story needs to be played either in one piece (aka....80 hours ina row :P) or at least regularly. So, I do my best only starting such games when I know I can do this for the next weeks.

Return to “Games”