Finishing a game

Glaucon

Re: Finishing a game

Postby Glaucon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 am

Frevet wrote:I think the problems with games such as Oblivion, Dragon Age etc. are the breaks you have to take due to lack of time. I STILL have the Witcher 2 here, the game is awesome, fantastic, bombastic. I haven't finished it. Why? Because midway through it, I went off for vacations, came back home and couldn't get immersed anymore. I had forgotten half of the storylines, the quest, I had to re-read most of it and doing it all again seemed boring. I WILL finish it one day, like with most games, but I will wait for a timespan when I will have a lot of freetime, vacations for example, or around x-mas.

For me, any game with an indepth story needs to be played either in one piece (aka....80 hours ina row :P) or at least regularly. So, I do my best only starting such games when I know I can do this for the next weeks.

Yes... Witcher 1: played it over 60% (I think): took a break, forgot all the quests and such, tried starting a new one, got bored playing the same quests I already played again.

Witcher 2.... exactly the same thing (though I think I only got to 20%).

@ Theoren: Maybe it will change when I get older. But that would be my retirement age, I suppose., since I am already fairly old. :)
Meriasek
SL Name: Meriasek Resident

Postby Meriasek » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:58 am

I have the same problem with RL, havn't managed to finish that, either
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Meriasek wrote:I have the same problem with RL, havn't managed to finish that, either

As Theoden said, you will, when you get older.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I always try to finish a game, though sometimes I'll leave when it's clear I'm going to win but the challenge is gone. Example, when in Rome Total War it's just me and one other faction and every turn is 20 battles that are utter routs of the enemy forces? I call it a day.

First Person shooters I finish. RPGs I finish if they're consistantly fun... I've never failed to finish a Fallout game, but Skyrim is sitting idle because I'm level 27 and without cheating have the best gear in the game, so I'm splatting all enemies without challenge. The story isn't compelling enough to keep me in either, unlike Dragon Age.

In Dwarf Fort, i abandon forts without hesitation.. the moment it's boring, wham. New fort. But in general I beat games because if I'm not playing to win... what's the point?

Oh, and Payday is still unbeaten because I haven't found a crew able to handle Diamond Heist yet.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:44 am

Games are mean't to be finished??? :o :shock: :?

I started WoW and ......stopped with a level 12 Pally and a level 14 elf (I think..I don't remember). The Pally I played for months of grind grind grind, learning the game, the elf a few weeks...and then, I lost interest.

I started Skyrum, and every so often I poke my nose back in there. My chicka is not all that high in levels...20 maybe? not sure. And because it is so long since I logged in now I actually think I would be better to start over, cos I have no idea what I am up to :P. And I log in, look at her and go "ugh! what now?"

It's OK though, my son keeps telling me "when you are done with Skyrum Mum, I will have a go" Thing is the (not-so)little brat will probably outplay me in just a few hours :hrm: :lol:
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 am

Well, I'm also the type that got into Age of Conan and immediately ground to level 80 as fast as I could, then started grinding the hell out of PVP, at least until they nerfed my class. Then moved to EQ2, and leveled so fast my guild's armourers couldn't keep up with my gear progression.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Postby ... » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 am

The single biggest reason that WoW is my game of choice is because there's no 'end', as such. I get the 'what's the point' sorta feeling when I'm playing a game that ends.
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Postby Shjade » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:25 am

I'm the opposite. I hate to leave games unfinished, even games I really don't like playing. I want to beat them so I don't feel like I need to go back to them later when I move on to another game. That was why I eventually forced myself to do a run at Skyrim's main quest after playing it for 200+ hours without getting any farther than meeting Parthurnax on about six characters.
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 am

Shjade wrote:I'm the opposite. I hate to leave games unfinished, even games I really don't like playing. I want to beat them so I don't feel like I need to go back to them later when I move on to another game. That was why I eventually forced myself to do a run at Skyrim's main quest after playing it for 200+ hours without getting any farther than meeting Parthurnax on about six characters.

And there I was, thinking I was weird. Then again, we all have our quirks.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 am

Single player games are limited by their AI, they 'break' when the only challenge left is finding the time and will to complete the game.

Games like Portal, Mass Effect and the GTAs keep you going with their story... NWN and Dragon Age were big hits for BioWare, but they lost me after the first chapter with their 'you are the only one who can save the world, with your training blade, newbie skills and ghetto origins - carry the ring Frodo, you can do it!!". And so begins his epic adventure of inventory management.

In Mass Effect, you kill shit. And loot is delivered to your ship. That's adventuring in style.

Total War games are amazing, must be my most played offline. But they're only challenging at the start of a campaign and once you've stabilised the region and built your armies, there's nothing worth conquering as none of the other factions have kept pace with you. It's just a matter of time now to reach the inevitable. And that's the limitation of single-player games, they peak somewhere in the middle, then you are riding down the slope of a foregone conclusion.

I'm gonna install Rome:Total war again this weekend; Romans, Greeks, Carthage, ancient Eqypt and barbarians!

I never did complete it with Parthia and there's nothing quite so fearsome as warriors dressed in pink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYgozQ1zpk

ETA: 2013 8-)

Return to “Games”