ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE

Sie Alcott
SL Name: Sie Alcott
Caste: Red
Role: Former High Commander
Home Stone: Port Kar

ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE

Postby Sie Alcott » Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Ok so its final. Elder Scrolls Online is coming and possibly by 2013. The screenshots are out. Much pertinent info is out (engine, factions, lore). So far I'm not too impressed.

Graphics are far too cartoony (my opinion guildwar-ish, the engine is the same kind that runs combat in other games already out and failing like SWTOR. Thus far...lackluster.

If they do not bring the graphics up to at least the level of Oblivion and change the gamplay to something more than whats presently out there, it will fail. Hard.

Thoughts?
The Ubar of Sexy

Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.PortKarOnline.com
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Re: ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE

Postby Thyri » Thu May 17, 2012 10:19 pm

When I heard initially that Elder Scrolls was getting made into an MMO... I died a little inside. But like any other successful game out there, the board of directors said "hey! Skyrim was a success and people loved it... lets make it into an MMO that will finally be the WoW killer of all WoW killers and get 17 million subscribers paying 15 bucks a month just to play our game, and charge them 60 bucks just to own the first installment of it, and every year charge them another 60 bucks for an expansion pack where all we need to do is release some half assed content, what could go wrong? We're all going to be rich!"

Meh. Been there, done that, didnt get sucked into SWTOR, didnt get sucked into GW 1 or 2, didnt get sucked into EVE Online... they're not getting my 60 bucks!
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Sie Alcott
SL Name: Sie Alcott
Caste: Red
Role: Former High Commander
Home Stone: Port Kar

Postby Sie Alcott » Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 pm

All info thus far.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/elderscrollsonline.aspx

So far Darkfall and Mortal Online are more impressive having done more with less. If Zenimax, whom is making this, doesn't step it up they have an epic fail on their hands and this is from a DIEHARD Elder Scrolls fans and so far the opinion of many many other diehard TES fans as well. Not looking good for this one so far.
The Ubar of Sexy

Grant me the serenity to ignore the trolls,
the courage to debate with honest opponents,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.PortKarOnline.com
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 am

I have this feeling that the video game industry is about to have another crash.
Hockey Stick!
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri May 18, 2012 1:46 am

Everything said above. From what I read, this wasn't a plan originating from the creatives over at Bethesda. They sound like they know what they are doing, what they are good at, which is making epic single player RPGs. And they sound like that is what they want to keep on doing. But there is the WoW pot-of-gold at the end of the rainbow. So... yes... probably a board of directors. A fallout MMO would probably have made more sense, but they don't have the rights to that (and are involved in a legal battle over those, still, I think).

From what I could tell, SWTOR was a bit like that. Not a bad game, but probably not as good as the three single-player TOR games they could have made with the same effort (which would probably have made them more).

The thing is: boards of directors typically do what everybody else does. Social media are hot? So, LL tries to become more like facebook. MMO's are the flavor of the month? You make an MMO, even when you have a company that is good at non-MMO's and makes you lots of money. Everyone invests in bad-mortgage derivatives? Go for it! :facepalm:
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 am

I went for Guildwars. No monthlys.

I paid for Skyrim.

I would not pay for what I've seen of oblivion.

But hey, I'm the only guy I know who plays computer games and doesn't care about diablo. *shrugs*
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri May 18, 2012 7:38 am

Oblivion was a great game, visual-wise, when it came out in 2006. By now, it looks a bit dated. And while I enjoyed playing it, the story & gameplay wasn't enough for me to actually finish the game (it got a bit too easy, same problem I have with Skyrim). Still, I had fun more fun with it than I would have had with a bottle of Frapin VSOP cognac, costing the same. ;)
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Fri May 18, 2012 10:58 am

Modern MMOs just seem to be timid shite designed by committee with an awful engine because they spend years in development, no thought goes into them at all.

Even being a shopkeeper in SWG was fun!

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/20/do-auction-houses-suck/#more-4080
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 am

I just read that this MMO won't even have the real time combat system of the Elder Scroll series (one of the more fun elements of the games). Instead, it will have the usual hotbar 'power' system, same as WoW, Guild Wars and any other MMO out there. Easier on the connections, I guess. Clearly, the are going for a full-scale 'no risk' WoW clone, same as everyone else. Bleh.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Absolutely disgusted by this sell-out of a rather stellar IP.

As Sie mentioned, the Hero engine is freaking disastrous and the complete lack of innovation in this piece is just appalling.

I hope they put shiploads full of money into it before it sinks like the "Costa Concordia" - will be a shot across the bow for any other video game forge yielding to investors demand.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer

Return to “Games”