~ Undecided ~
10%

Total votes: 40
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Victor. wrote:I won't embarrass myself by obsessive fan girl squees and giddy goodness but I am not lying when I say that had to be the best gaming experience I had in my life.

33 hours of played time.

Yet there is a DAY and NIGHT difference between my impression of the game, by playing it alone and by playing it with RL friends.

The scaling epicness of every little dynamic event is just glorious if there's a group of 50 people running around and wrecking havoc - most of them don't know each other, but there's that innate feeling of playing together for a common cause. There's no creep stealing, no turning away when you see others are doing your "quest" and it will take forever - nah, you fight whatever you're facing as a crowd and if you see someone downed, you hurry to get him back on his feet.

Just freaking loved playing it.

The PvP was hilarious - a pity one couldn't queue as a group yet, so we were forced to play against each other but it certainly has potential to be competitive upon game release.

Looking forward to a launch date, whenever that is - but for now, I am looking forward to the next Beta in a month from now ;)

I'm not a gamer but strangely I am very interested in this game. I blame Chron's original post and reading the short excerpt of the upcoming book.
http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/pdf/en/Ghost-of-Ascalon-Chapter1.pdf

For a new player on a scale of 1 to 10 will it be very difficult to get up to speed on the game?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Wed May 02, 2012 8:35 am

Kait, I'd say it depends.

I haven't read ANY Guild Wars LORE related literature. Not a book, not a Guild Wars Original quest log. Nothing.

I don't play it for its story either (however marvellous) it's my gaming outlet if you want so ;) Where boys can be boys.

I honestly don't think it's suited for RP, I mean it's drop-dead gorgeous and all but I'd not pick it as a RP environment.

Now if you liked Skyrim for example and wished you could play alongside of other players - it could very well be the best thing you'll get for a couple years to come ;)

It's very easy to get the knack of how it's played, I'd give it a 8 of 10, a 6 of 10 though if you're used to World of Warcraft progressive structure questing or cling too much to the whole "THIS IS MY ROLE, this is what I want to do!"-concept of the holy trinity (players being categorized in tanks/healers/damage dealers by their classes/specs)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head...my partner and I wanted a Skyrim similar game that we could both play. I have a feeling I will suck however.
:hiding:

Once upon a time... Kait
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am

Kaitlin wrote:Thanks! You hit the nail on the head...my partner and I wanted a Skyrim similar game that we could both play. I have a feeling I will suck however.

You can do a WoW trial. though graphically its not like Skyrim. but its a lot of Lore. And on a PVE server or RP server its all Player vs Environment.
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

I loved Guild wars but sadly it was a bit shallow for me. When I had roamed through the quest lines I sort of run out of content. I did not buy the expansions and maybe that’s my loss but by then I had started in EQ2 that much better did suit me.

But with my resent disappointments in games like Age of Conan and lately Star Wars the Old republic I doubt I will try another game for a while. Right now its just Secret Worlds that looks remotely like something I would want to try out.

/Tash
Dont ask ... just do.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 am

To be fair, you can't compare Guild Wars 2 with the classic Guild Wars.

It's a bit like comparing Windows 3.11 to Windows 7.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed May 02, 2012 10:17 am

Victor. wrote:To be fair, you can't compare Guild Wars 2 with the classic Guild Wars.

It's a bit like comparing Windows 3.11 to Windows 7.

... Win 3.11 ... Uhmmm I had to google on that... was some old windows version from when I was about three!!! :fleeflee:
Dont ask ... just do.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Kaitlin wrote:Thanks! You hit the nail on the head...my partner and I wanted a Skyrim similar game that we could both play. I have a feeling I will suck however.

If the interface is similar to WoW or Star Wars, you might get annoyed at first with not catching on quickly. Suddenly though you will have this a-ha moment and it will finally click in.

I am having a blast!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Yea.

Pre-release was sold out till sunday, then I got my copy and played a Char Guardian for about...ehhh....2 hours. Had work at 4am the next morning.

It was fun, but I didn't have nearly enough time to get a feel for it.

The map is MUCH bigger than I thought it would be, and I played GW and Nightfall.

Was pretty cool.
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Vylixan wrote:

You can do a WoW trial. though graphically its not like Skyrim. but its a lot of Lore. And on a PVE server or RP server its all Player vs Environment.

Thanks Vyl. I just really can't get into the graphics of WoW...never could. What attracts me to Guild Wars2 is PVE which seems to be what they are pushing...well that and the WvW. I think I'm going to take the leap.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Games”