Cor
SL Name: Trenzos Dyrssen
Caste: Scribe
Role: Scholar
Home Stone: Ar
Owner: Kaissa

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Cor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

I was wondering what other people here think of this game now that it's released. What's your take on it?

I've have finished the game twice now. The first one was a mix of stealth and combat. The second time I focused just on stealth.

The immersion of the settings was pretty impressive. I loved the tie-ins it had with Deus Ex as well. The main thing was just how much freedom you have. I'm usually not much into FPS, but Deus Ex HR might be the bridge between FPS and RPG. Definitely a niche.
“Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain.”
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Vylixan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:41 am

I give it a go after I am done with Dungeon Siege 3. The first impression of what I saw of it is very nice.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:59 am

Enjoyed playing it, on "Give me Deus Ex" mode of course - especially since I tried to get the the "Ghost" bonus for undetected mission succession as often as humanly possible.

The only gripe I had was the ending, it seemed rather unsatisfactory to me but I won't spoil it now for others.

Oh and somehow I got the feeling that the choices I made didn't really make an impact most of the time.

What I really enjoyed was the gameplay and of course the phenomenal take downs, call me easy to please, but I didn't tire of any of those even after playing through the whole game. As soon as you tapped that key you were guaranteed a bonafide bad ass moment 8-)

Overall it had that really great atmosphere of the Blade Runner GAME (Anyone else ever played that one? It's like Monkey's Island but less funny more cineastic! Great game!) and that certain Metal Gear Solid/Splinter Cell gameplay to it.

Though I hope Skyrim entertains me more, 2 days of playing was rather disappointing.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 pm

I saw a cinematic for the game and it looked interesting, but if it is a FPS, I'll probably pass. I've never been a fan of those.

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Jason Susenko
SL Name: Jason Susenko
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Merchant

Postby Jason Susenko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Let's keep it real: this is Deus Ex. Which means it's a cyberpunk game with mega-corporations, mercenaries, philosophical conundrums, and conspiracy theories. Essentially, it's Shadowrun adapted to the "near future". Nothing new here plot-wise, but the way they presented it was excellent.

As Cor said, it's all about the freedom. This is billed as an Action RPG, but I find that if you delve into it, you can play it as guns-blazing as Halo, as sneaky as Thief, or anything inbetween. While the original Deus Ex maybe gave you 2-3 ways of completing an objective, this one gave you a lot more room to explore and breathe, especially after the intro parts of the game, once you start getting the fun augmentations.

However, I have to say that it started losing me about 3/4 of the way through. The boss fights were meaningless (and with the right trick, I could complete all of them in under 30 seconds), the enemies were pretty dumb (though with the right weapon, they weren't a problem either), and hacking got just plain boring after I got all the upgrades. By the end of the game I was just waltzing through hallways with my heavy rifle blazing, without any regard for stealth, just for the catharsis.

Ya know, just watch Yahtzee's review. I pretty much agree.
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 pm

For me, it is the fact that it is a 'shooter'. Convention has it shooters don't have to be long (6 hours and you are done, often). But I like games that I can get lost in for a while. 3 2-hour sessions is not quite enough for me to achieve that 'hooked' feeling. RPG's (like say, Fallout, Dragon Age, and the still HIGHLY recommend Vampire the Masquerade... go find it if you can, download the patch and ignore the reviews) offer so much more in terms of enjoyable play-time, things to do and discover, and so forth. So, I'll be waiting for Skyrim as well, I am afraid.
Jason Susenko

Postby Jason Susenko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? That's available on Steam, actually... I picked it up a couple months ago for $10 when it was on sale. Graphics were dated, but yeah, it wasn't bad at all. Very much on par with Deus Ex in a lot of ways.
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Jason Susenko wrote:Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? That's available on Steam, actually... I picked it up a couple months ago for $10 when it was on sale. Graphics were dated, but yeah, it wasn't bad at all. Very much on par with Deus Ex in a lot of ways.

Yes. Graphics aren't state of the art. Dated, but not that much. Not enough to stop you from enjoying the game (if you don't mind playing SL which hardly looks any better). I like the writing and some of the acting especially. Good characters in there. A lot of dark humor. The guys that made this made the original fallout series, so that was to be expected. Shame that they went bust (those extremely negative reviews of this nice game didn't help... it was their last effort and it bombed.).

Difference with a game like Deus Ex, though... you won't get through it in just a weekend. I prefer a nice, thick book over a thin one as well.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Jason Susenko wrote:Let's keep it real: this is Deus Ex. Which means it's a cyberpunk game with mega-corporations, mercenaries, philosophical conundrums, and conspiracy theories. Essentially, it's Shadowrun adapted to the "near future". Nothing new here plot-wise, but the way they presented it was excellent.

As Cor said, it's all about the freedom. This is billed as an Action RPG, but I find that if you delve into it, you can play it as guns-blazing as Halo, as sneaky as Thief, or anything inbetween. While the original Deus Ex maybe gave you 2-3 ways of completing an objective, this one gave you a lot more room to explore and breathe, especially after the intro parts of the game, once you start getting the fun augmentations.

However, I have to say that it started losing me about 3/4 of the way through. The boss fights were meaningless (and with the right trick, I could complete all of them in under 30 seconds), the enemies were pretty dumb (though with the right weapon, they weren't a problem either), and hacking got just plain boring after I got all the upgrades. By the end of the game I was just waltzing through hallways with my heavy rifle blazing, without any regard for stealth, just for the catharsis.

Ya know, just watch Yahtzee's review. I pretty much agree.

How could I forget the hacking? lol. That was indeed a bit of a snooze-fest, and quickly at that.

And yes, the AI isn't the brightest. But I got to say what really irked me, was the fact that the only made it so that only 1 battery charges right up - I know, still better than Deus Ex Numero Uno, but hell - it sure made stealth quite meaningless.

Then again I didn't bother to look for shops really, guess if I had more nutri thingies it'd not have bugged me so much...

And boss fights...I thought the first one was really hard, especially since I only had my pistol, lol.

The others were a walk in the park, especially the third one, I didn't even get to KNOW what the fight was about because I shot the motherfucker 4 times with my grenade launcher and ZACK - Video sequence. :twisted:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Jason Susenko

Postby Jason Susenko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Your friend in boss fights are frag mines. If a boss steps onto it, it'll do a lot of damage and stun them... allowing you to just throw another frag mine at them. 3-4 and you'll ice anyone.

As for nutribars, loot augmented enemies and search rooms. By the endgame I had about 15 of them. Once I realized that I could use my powers judiciously (allowing batteries to regen) and that takedowns were overrated (once I had my superpowered pistol), I had plenty of bars to go around.

There. I just broke Deus Ex 3 for you. :thumbup:
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz

Return to “Games”