Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Movies!

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 am

Got to see the new Captain America movie and it was surprisingly great, better than I even expected (and I really liked the first one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

(adding link to best trailer because can't seem to get embedded video to work)

Harlequin and I went to see it with 2 ten year olds, and the 10 year olds were bored through chunks of it, but even they liked the action sequences, which were some of the best I've seen in that genre. Harlequin and I loved the complexity of the story (also surprising for a comic book movie) and also the fact that "Hail Hydra" is now a meme. LOL

http://www.themarysue.com/hail-hydra-marvel-meme/#0
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm still shocked about Iron Man 3 becoming the 5th highest grossing movie of all time. I'll contain my disdain for the dignity of the ladies on this forum.

In no particular order, these movies were worth the viewing from the past year; Snowpiercer, Jagten, Out of the Furnace, Rush, Prisoners, Europa Report, Disconnect... from what I remember.

For a film night, I prefer to host B-movies like 'Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus', than another Hollywood defecation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16_8l0yS-g
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Winter Soldier was decent.

I liked Iron Man 1. I liked Iron Man 2 a little better.

Iron Man 3 was stupid.

Avengers, however, was awesome. Super Entertaining.

Second Thor movie was entertaining as well.

Honestly - not much in the theaters draws me in anymore.

I used to live there when I was going to university.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:56 pm

The second 300 movie was beyond bad. It was insultingly stupid, even for a 'mindless violence and blood' action movie.

Iron Man 3 wasn't that bad, I felt. Better than 2.

Will go to see that new Captain America one, though I really should stop going to these superhero movies, I guess, and watch some gay goth poetic intellectual crap instead.

But... all in all, when it comes to entertainment, I have to say... these days, the best TV series are often better than the best movies.

Thing is, they make a crap movie like that 300 empire one. Really pretty bad, even from those that want to see that sort of movie. And then, because people liked the first one, they go to see it anyway. So, it still makes a profit. Which is exactly why crappy sequels like that get made.

They try to do that with a TV show: after a couple of episodes, the viewers go watch something else. TV shows HAVE TO deliver.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Glaucon wrote:Thing is, they make a crap movie like that 300 empire one. Really pretty bad, even from those that want to see that sort of movie. And then, because people liked the first one, they go to see it anyway. So, it still makes a profit. Which is exactly why crappy sequels like that get made.

They try to do that with a TV show: after a couple of episodes, the viewers go watch something else. TV shows HAVE TO deliver.

I agree with pretty much everything you said...but...

How do you explain Marvel: Agents of Shield?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I agree with everyone on just how bad the second 300 movie turned out. The saddest part was how they totally managed to butcher any inspiration from the first movie.
:(
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 am

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was awesome, I thought! :D
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm

HorizonNinetails wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you said...but...

How do you explain Marvel: Agents of Shield?

Hmmm, I figure the USA has a kind of 'tier' market for TV seriers. The top tier is on the cable networks trying for quality. House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Games of Thrones, etc. Those series have to be pretty good, because folks are paying for it. And the second tier is probably for cable networks that don't focus on quality content as much, but still give it a shot. There seem to be very good TV series on 'regular' networks as well, but those are more rare, I think.

And then you have the 'lower tire' kind of TV series. Aimed at the less critical viewer, full of cliché's. Perhaps these sort of series work for those that never watch cable series, for people that have a lower IQ, and for children. Series like that Marvel one you mentioned, or the 'Arrow' one I saw something of. Or 'falling skies'. Childish, completely unoriginal, uninspired, nonsensical, badly acted. (But still better than 300 part 2).

I suppose that these two still relatively high production value, compared to some others (that, fortunately, I never get to see). But I guess you are always going to have bad stuff as well as good stuff. And series like Girls, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Soprano's, Treme, etc. are not going to appeal to everyone anyway. They may not be Proust, but they do ask a little more by way of patience, sense of humor and intelligence than the average person can muster, I suppose.

I was really only comparing like with like. Like, say, the best US movies that came out over the last year with the best US series aired in the last year. And I just noticed that only a few of those movies impressed me, while a lot of the good TV series did.

Kaitlin wrote:I agree with everyone on just how bad the second 300 movie turned out. The saddest part was how they totally managed to butcher any inspiration from the first movie.

Yes... the whole first movie was about how great Spartans are, as warriors. And now it turned out that those Athenians (mere 'traders') are just as good at the slow motion fighting! And the Spartans that were supposed to be so tough, and with their King sacrificing himself and his 300 to get his people ready to go to war... refuse to go to war in part 2... :eh: ? Plus, we have Artemisia I of Caria doing her best Darth Vader impersonation ('you have failed me for the last time'). And... oh... I could go on and on... even if I only saw half of it (because I could not stand it anymore). :banghead:
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Glaucon wrote: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Games of Thrones, etc. Those series have to be pretty good, because folks are paying for it.

Well not everyone :lol:

Jokes aside recently I was hearing a program on the radio discussing of the success of shows like Breaking Bad and how we usually get these shows only from the US.
As usual most of the problem revolves around smaller companies not ready to invest money on someone's ideas anymore so they try and aim for the easy... the quick... the average I don't want to think about what I'm looking at. Just today I was checking the tv channel of ABC SPARKS...what a super load of crappy tv shows for teenagers! I mean serious crap... the kind that makes me thing I might as well watch some south american opera.

The US still has more capital and investors who are willing to give a man's dream hope.

Mind you, I don't like some of these SUPER shows myself but I am more than willing to watch them to explain why I don't like them. See Mad Men... honestly I just rather watch Gossip Girl.

I have lived in at least three different countries now and each have a different vision on how to promote television. Granted I never lived in the US I feel Canada is not much different the average country show is never as appealing to me as an american program.

Going back to the super heroes trend, I do like them... I grew up with them but sometimes I feel they are feeding on pure nostalgia and epic effect to the point they even ruined Spider Man. I love that web guy sigh, Raimi had a good vision... leave it there.

I might as well complain on Nolan's Batman. Yes! I did not like, more than anything the last one... I know Wayne is dark and mysterious but here he just looked goddam mopey and depressed. Not to mention the over long scenes at the stadium and the pit that has better TV reception than my friends in the mountains.

Then again I stopped reading super heroes comics when I felt they were taking themselves a tad too seriously. Deadpool! We need Deadpool.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:03 am

Glaucon wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:I agree with everyone on just how bad the second 300 movie turned out. The saddest part was how they totally managed to butcher any inspiration from the first movie.

Yes... the whole first movie was about how great Spartans are, as warriors. And now it turned out that those Athenians (mere 'traders') are just as good at the slow motion fighting! And the Spartans that were supposed to be so tough, and with their King sacrificing himself and his 300 to get his people ready to go to war... refuse to go to war in part 2... :eh: ? Plus, we have Artemisia I of Caria doing her best Darth Vader impersonation ('you have failed me for the last time'). And... oh... I could go on and on... even if I only saw half of it (because I could not stand it anymore). :banghead:

+1
I tortured myself to watch it all but I could have thrown something at the screen.

On another note...I am really hating the deviation from the books GOT has taken with this season so far.
:thumbdown:
I almost wish I hadn't read them. I might be happier ATM.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”