Movies!

Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: Movies!

Postby Theoden » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Glaucon wrote:
HorizonNinetails wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you said...but...

How do you explain Marvel: Agents of Shield?

Hmmm, I figure the USA has a kind of 'tier' market for TV seriers. The top tier is on the cable networks trying for quality. House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Games of Thrones, etc. Those series have to be pretty good, because folks are paying for it. And the second tier is probably for cable networks that don't focus on quality content as much, but still give it a shot. There seem to be very good TV series on 'regular' networks as well, but those are more rare, I think.

And then you have the 'lower tire' kind of TV series. Aimed at the less critical viewer, full of cliché's. Perhaps these sort of series work for those that never watch cable series, for people that have a lower IQ, and for children. Series like that Marvel one you mentioned, or the 'Arrow' one I saw something of. Or 'falling skies'. Childish, completely unoriginal, uninspired, nonsensical, badly acted. (But still better than 300 part 2).

I think it has more to do with taste rather than IQ or being able to entertain only teenagers. Some people are just fine with cliche's and low budget shows.

I like the top tier shows and absolutely disdain the second tier shows you've listed. On the other hand, I like the second 300 movie :D Not as good as the first, but I'd give it a 75% out of 100% rotten tomatoes score, if only for the awesome visuals and sex scene :thumbup:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Glaucon throws a Rotten tomato at Théoden. "Forbidden to like that pile of crap."
:rulez:

But yes... the 'quality' stuff is not for everyone, I know. Some people are happy to watch stuff that makes me puke. Some don't even notice the terrible acting, the cheesy one-liners, the crappy stories, the bad CGI, the predictability, the show looking like 100 other shows, and so forth. You will have bad TV series, and you will have bad movies, and so forth.

But if you look at the first 300 one: that one got only a 60 on from the critics at Rotten Tomatoes. Clearly, they weren't the target audience. The public's rating was 89. Which makes sense: Within the genre (blood, fighting, special effects, heroics and a general celebration of testosterone), it was a great flick. The second got a 42 from the critics. And a mere 60 from the same audience. So, clearly, the target audience didn't like it all that much (most didn't, it seems, except you, maybe). And yet... it still grossed enough to turn a profit within the first weeks of opening, I read. So... a movie that most people that LIKE the genre (not film critics) don't like the movie much, and yet the investment was worth it.

That just doesn't work with TV series, usually. A series has to be 'consistent' at least. The Walking Dead can have a lesser season, but it can't have a season that the target audience rates at 60 when they rated it at 89 before. Because they will go watch something else. Even a show like 24, which lost me a long while ago, keeps on doing what it does fairly well (it lost me because it never really changed). And Lost also kept it fairly good quality right up till the (much disliked) ending. Shows get cancelled quite quickly (even some shows that I liked, though I admit that Dead Wood may not have been for a large audience). There is a lot of competition between American made TV shows, clearly. And that seems to ensure that most shows really try. And that doesn't seem to be the case for investments in a lot of entertainment movies. "Let's make another action movie. Hey... people liked Robocop. Let's remake it. Only, slightly worse. Oh, let's reboot Superman again. You know what? Let's remake Godzilla. Or do something with battleships. People will not like them that much, but because they liked the first one, they will still go and see it."

Reminds me of that movie radio add in that great Troika (RIP) game, Vampire the Masquerade:

Announcer: In a World where people live and die...
Da Chief: Do you think you could just go in there and handle this by yourself?
The Hero: If that's what it takes.
Announcer: ...he was about to meet his greatest foe...
Villain: Kill them all, all of them!
Announcer: ...and a girl...
The Hero: Hello!
The Chick: Hi.
Announcer: ...and a comic relief sidekick, who won't make it to act three.
Side Kick: I picked the wrong month to cancel my life insurance.
The Hero: No, don't say that. You're gonna make it.
Announcer: With the guy from that other movie that was slightly popular, and what's-her-name, from that show you sometimes watch. In a movie with two spectacular CGI battle sequences and an advertising campaign that will leave you no choice but to see this film. See it, because it's a movie and all your friends are going. In theaters Friday and on DVD in three months.

(At the end somewhere, there... I love that 'radio show' :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIH0HAkRlFk
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Since nobody has posted in this thread since Apr 14 (!) I thought I'd revive it. So I just went to see Assassin's Creed and the jury is still out as to whether I enjoyed it or not. For one I'm not 100% sure if Fassbender was correctly casted (no pun) for the lead but there again I can't think of anyone else either. He lacked something but again I'm not sure what.

As an avid player of the series I thought the movie was as faithful to the game as it could have been, complete with leap of faith and great choreographed fight scenes! I think you really needed to be an AC gamer to understand what the hell was going on though because I would have been left scratching my head as an outsider with no idea what the Animus was.

What did you think?
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:25 am

Go see Rogue One.

Go see it.

GO. SEE. IT.

You will not be disappointed.

...though your heart will be in pieces.

I just cannot get over how good this damn movie was. I just...really. The pacing was perfect. I honestly didn't even realize it was a 2 and a half hour movie. I was riveted the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlQEuT07js
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 am

Saw it. Loved it. Went three times!
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

I probably should see it again. See if I will stay awake, this time. Because it really might have been me.

As for Assassin's creed:

Vector wrote:As an avid player of the series I thought the movie was as faithful to the game as it could have been, complete with leap of faith and great choreographed fight scenes!

Faithful to the game? Complete with the little line in the screen telling you 5/13 eagle feathers found?

I played a bit of those games. All of II, and a bit of some later ones. But that was one aspect I never liked much. The grindy, pointless, achievement-related collecting of silly things, the timed runs and other mini games. Always made me lose my immersion in the story and the world. Like the game telling me: "Look, things may be pretty and the story might seem involved, but really, remember you are playing a computer game meant for 14 year olds that want to get the high-score, not for old farts like you, sucker!"
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

There was so much hype around the last Star Wars(2015. I don't recall the title!) and positive reviews everywhere. But when I watched the movie, I couldn't wait for it to be over. So Rogue One seems a dubious prospect at the moment!

Deadpool was the surprise of 2016, well worth watching.

Sicario was the movie of 2015. The director Villeneuve is now working on Blade Runner 2 which should be out this year!

Alien: Covenant is out this year aswell. Apparently it will be the second prequel, and I'm expecting the third instalment will conclude with their alien spacecraft landing on a moon. So setting up the scene for 1979's Alien. Then there will be a trio of sequels to come in the future... we can all blame Star Wars for this!
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm

I truly yawned for most of ROGUE ONE, boring characters that are never developed with an awkward embrace (like seriously those two never really make sense) . Those 5 minutes with Darth Vader were the only thing worth the movie :thumbup:
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Cassie wrote:I truly yawned for most of ROGUE ONE, boring characters that are never developed with an awkward embrace (like seriously those two never really make sense) . Those 5 minutes with Darth Vader were the only thing worth the movie :thumbup:

So... maybe not just me, then. :eh: Such a struggle to stay awake. The only character I related to was the imperial droid.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Cassie wrote:I truly yawned for most of ROGUE ONE, boring characters that are never developed with an awkward embrace (like seriously those two never really make sense) . Those 5 minutes with Darth Vader were the only thing worth the movie :thumbup:

I just can't agree. I got enough background about each character to actually care about them. And the awkward embrace was perfect, imho.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”