The Bible and Vikings on History Channel March 3rd

Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Re: The Bible and Vikings on History Channel March 3rd

Postby Mynerva » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 am

I watched both.

I am not crazy about the bible show.

The viking show is downright stupid.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

Oh dear… after seeing the Viking show….

Why do US TV always totally ruin things… is it just to sell? Could they not at least tried to do something real for once?

I guess that from now many will think this is some sort of facts. :fryingpan:
Dont ask ... just do.
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Tashiana wrote:Reading stuff like this make me realize I live in a rather modern country after all. :o.O:

No, you have a king :silent:
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 pm

I regard it as I would regard a "Spartacus" episode in terms of historical accuracy.

I am really not sure why a "History Channel" broadcasts these things. :shifty:

But in terms of entertainment value...it's fine.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Victor. wrote:I regard it as I would regard a "Spartacus" episode in terms of historical accuracy.

I am really not sure why a "History Channel" broadcasts these things. :shifty:

But in terms of entertainment value...it's fine.

Because Aliens, man.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Ah, I guess that the only fun I would be able to get from that 'show' would be the joy of being really and justifiably annoyed.
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:40 pm

haven’t watched either so i can’t comment on them. but i do know a lot about the vikings and the era, a subject i totally love. of course i’m biased being norwegian on my mom’s side of the family – she’s from Tromsø, Norway. danish on my daddy’s side (he’s usa). so i’m a viking descendent – it’s in my blood ;)

there’s a lot of misconceptions about vikings, lots of myths. for one, they were not dirty and unkempt. cleanliness meant a lot to the vikings – they were very clean and fashionable. archaeological finds have revealed tweezers, combs, nail cleaners, ear cleaners and toothpicks from the viking age. and It wasn’t enough just to be clean. the hair also had to be styled right. they wore neat, well groomed beards and hair that sorta looked like reverse mullets. the men had long fringes on the front (kinda like rock stars) and short hair on the backof the head. beards could be short of long but always, always well-groomed. further down the neck, the skin was shaved. there is an anonymous old english letter where a man puts down his brother for following the fashion trend of the vikings instead of sticking with the traditional anglo saxon style. he bitches to his brother to not give in to the danish fashion with shaved neck and blinded eyes... blinded eyes prolly meant long fringes falling over the eyes (in today’s fashion that looks really cute on guys and girls and that’s how i love to wear my hair – peek-a-boo!). there’s a three-dimensional carved male head on a wagon in the Oseberg ship burial mound in norway. the man’s hair is well groomed and he has an elegant long moustache and a chin beard that reaches up to his moustache, but apparently not out to the cheeks. (i’m quoting some sources here but mixing it together with my post).

there seemed to be a lot of distress and arguing on this thread about religion. i can take you by the hand and show you the way to valhalla. everything around you is relative and when you explore gravitation, space and time and the duality (binary) nature of all that is, you begin to see things as information. everything around you is stored information. philosophically i guess you could look at things as distilled thought = distilled energy = distilled matter. you are stored information, the ground below you, the stars around you, all things are information. it’s a simplistic model to say the universe is like a giant quantum computer but nothing is ever really lost. if you’re an atheist or a believer, it’s a win-win way of looking at things. as for arguments about beginnings, the chicken or egg argument, that’s a human concept. beginnings are a human concept. infinity has no beginning or end. we know this conceptually in geometry. the beginnings we know of and the endings all happen relative to each other on an eternal stage that ebbs and flows.

i’m a young woman, i’m no big brain, but i’m a surfer girl and these have been my my observations and meditations when i hit the waves with my shortboard at dawn and ride the rails. the nature of our reality, this universe, is ebb and flow, wave after wave, cyclical and parasitic... parasitic in that the body can host this essential information that you call “YOU”...

i don’t think i’ll ever get around to watching the bible series on the history channel. i guess you could call me a pagan girl but i think there are better films out there catering to religious dogma. there was a movie made a few years before i was born that i discovered sitting in my daddy’s movie library (i noticed it there over the years but ignored it, and when i finally watched it, i found it stunning). one saturday night, me and a friend got home early to my parent’s house and we were sitting in the family room together and she asked me if we could watch a movie. i’d seen this title for years just sitting there so on a dare, i said let’s watch “the last temptation of christ” and she was like nahh... aww c’mon noooo. yes, i insisted. let’s do it! she groaned. i put it on. i was astounded. for entertainment value, it was amazing and yet moving. and the music from peter gabriel was awesome!

here is a sample of the music from peter gabriel for the last temptation of christ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOTGt0amOQ&list=PL679BAD2420D026AD

and a sample scene from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOzfXAJm4I

What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Danika Stenvaag wrote: i can take you by the hand and show you the way ...

i’m no big brain....

i’m a surfer girl....

my daddy’s movie library....

Why????
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Mynerva wrote:
Danika Stenvaag wrote: i can take you by the hand and show you the way ...

i’m no big brain....

i’m a surfer girl....

my daddy’s movie library....

Why????

Mynerva wrote:intelligent design is taught in biology class.

It is just as important that scientific material is not presented

a book is inspired by God.

Faith, religious belief, religious scripture,

belief in God

scripture is inspired by God.

Religion or faith alleges the existence of a supreme being

scientist to tries to disprove the existence of a God

why mynerva? why???

I suppose we could play the frame game all night long. you frame my words out of context and I could just as easily frame yours. but really, why are you wasting so much time? what is your point? really mynerva, I expected more out of you. this is the kind of shit north korea pulls. fools argue. wise people discuss.

critical thinking is the art of separating your own personal emotional agenda from the focus subject. prioritize what is important to the discussion and stay on topic.

this is what I really said in case the page flips to the next page and people lose track of what is being said here. I quote myself again:

Danika Stenvaag wrote:haven’t watched either so i can’t comment on them. but i do know a lot about the vikings and the era, a subject i totally love. of course i’m biased being norwegian on my mom’s side of the family – she’s from Tromsø, Norway. danish on my daddy’s side (he’s usa). so i’m a viking descendent – it’s in my blood ;)

there’s a lot of misconceptions about vikings, lots of myths. for one, they were not dirty and unkempt. cleanliness meant a lot to the vikings – they were very clean and fashionable. archaeological finds have revealed tweezers, combs, nail cleaners, ear cleaners and toothpicks from the viking age. and It wasn’t enough just to be clean. the hair also had to be styled right. they wore neat, well groomed beards and hair that sorta looked like reverse mullets. the men had long fringes on the front (kinda like rock stars) and short hair on the backof the head. beards could be short of long but always, always well-groomed. further down the neck, the skin was shaved. there is an anonymous old english letter where a man puts down his brother for following the fashion trend of the vikings instead of sticking with the traditional anglo saxon style. he bitches to his brother to not give in to the danish fashion with shaved neck and blinded eyes... blinded eyes prolly meant long fringes falling over the eyes (in today’s fashion that looks really cute on guys and girls and that’s how i love to wear my hair – peek-a-boo!). there’s a three-dimensional carved male head on a wagon in the Oseberg ship burial mound in norway. the man’s hair is well groomed and he has an elegant long moustache and a chin beard that reaches up to his moustache, but apparently not out to the cheeks. (i’m quoting some sources here but mixing it together with my post).

there seemed to be a lot of distress and arguing on this thread about religion. i can take you by the hand and show you the way to valhalla. everything around you is relative and when you explore gravitation, space and time and the duality (binary) nature of all that is, you begin to see things as information. everything around you is stored information. philosophically i guess you could look at things as distilled thought = distilled energy = distilled matter. you are stored information, the ground below you, the stars around you, all things are information. it’s a simplistic model to say the universe is like a giant quantum computer but nothing is ever really lost. if you’re an atheist or a believer, it’s a win-win way of looking at things. as for arguments about beginnings, the chicken or egg argument, that’s a human concept. beginnings are a human concept. infinity has no beginning or end. we know this conceptually in geometry. the beginnings we know of and the endings all happen relative to each other on an eternal stage that ebbs and flows.

i’m a young woman, i’m no big brain, but i’m a surfer girl and these have been my my observations and meditations when i hit the waves with my shortboard at dawn and ride the rails. the nature of our reality, this universe, is ebb and flow, wave after wave, cyclical and parasitic... parasitic in that the body can host this essential information that you call “YOU”...

i don’t think i’ll ever get around to watching the bible series on the history channel. i guess you could call me a pagan girl but i think there are better films out there catering to religious dogma. there was a movie made a few years before i was born that i discovered sitting in my daddy’s movie library (i noticed it there over the years but ignored it, and when i finally watched it, i found it stunning). one saturday night, me and a friend got home early to my parent’s house and we were sitting in the family room together and she asked me if we could watch a movie. i’d seen this title for years just sitting there so on a dare, i said let’s watch “the last temptation of christ” and she was like nahh... aww c’mon noooo. yes, i insisted. let’s do it! she groaned. i put it on. i was astounded. for entertainment value, it was amazing and yet moving. and the music from peter gabriel was awesome!

here is a sample of the music from peter gabriel for the last temptation of christ:

and a sample scene from the movie:

What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com

Postby ... » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 am

Danika, while the ramblings of a sheltered kid are occasionally somewhat entertaining, you've sort of taken to quoting yourself a lot lately. I mean, entire posts. Please don't.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”