Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet

Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet

Postby Allison Millet » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 pm

I know we had a discussion a little while ago comparing and contrasting the nook and the fire, what I was wondering was anyone who's gotten one in the past 6 months what they're general consensus was on the device they got if they ultimately liked it or not.

Secondly, I was wondering which device would be more feasible for putting emulators or roms on does anyone know? I'd like to be able to put old Nintendo games on whatever device I get to be able to play them.
Hockey Stick!
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet

Postby Tantus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Just for reference, this was the older thread.

Both the Nook and Kindle Fire are heading for retirement now, as the competition heats up for 2012's seven-inch tablets from Google's own Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire 2 and the rumored iPad Mini.

There isn't much known about the iPad Mini. A sensible estimate says the consumers will pay a premium for an overpriced product, because it's from Apple.

The Nook, Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, all run on Google's Android operating system, and should all have access to Google's Apps store(Google Play). Amazon has its own App's store to rival Googles' and though they sell the same applications, Amazon supposedly has a quality and vetting process to verify the credibility of the apps being sold on their market(much like Apple does).

Amazon is competing with Google by adding Android games and applications to their market. And Google is bringing the fight by adding books, movie rentals/purchases and TV shows to their market. I don't see any significant differences between the choice of market, other than Google Play giving greater freedom of what you want to install, and Amazon's Apps store may be safer for parents who want to restrict the range of applications available for their device - until the kids learn how to access external markets!

The markets will decide it because the tablet specs will be very similar. The Nexus 7 is set to be an amazing device at £160/$200 and it's out in mid July. The KF2 is expected in early August. If you can hold out until August, there will be dozens of reviews and comparisons between device and markets.

On my Android phone, I use FPse for Playstation and SuperGNES for SNES emulation. Primarily to play through some classic Square RPGs which never made it to Europe and they always looked horrid on my PC monitor, but the phone handles it perfectly!
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Think Tantus hit it pretty well. I'm very happy with my Kindle Fire V 1, but I have it rooted so I can get access to the things that make it more useful to me.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 am

So if I'm understanding what your saying here Tantus, is that I would be better served by just getting a one of these tablets instead of one of the book stores own reader device/media device. What's the new android operating system that is the best to be using?
Hockey Stick!
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:43 am

The short of it is, there are two devices scheduled for release in the next month, Google's Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire 2.

Amazon didn't release their Fire in the EU(Or even in Canada!), so I don't know much about how purchases work on the KF, maybe Treat and others could clarify on this. So far as I know, anything that's available for the KF, could also be purchased from Amazon's store using other tablets.

The reason to own an Amazon branded tablet is they give you a neat, seamless interface between your device and the Amazon store - but you are restricted to the Amazon store and locked in to their content.

On another Android device, like a smartphone or tablet, you could still install the Kindle and NetFlix apps for access to Amazon's content, the same as you would receive it on the Kindle Fire and you have access to everything else out there too. It just takes that extra step of installing these apps.

I don't think you are missing anything from Amazon by not owning a Kindle Fire, but again, an KF owner would need to confirm that.

The Nexus 7 will be running on Android 'Jellybean' (4.1)
Nothing has been announced for the KF2, I expect it will use Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' (4.0) or Jellybean.

If you want to use emulators, then Nexus 7 is the way to go. With the 1280x800 IPS screen and a Tegra 3 processor, it will be amazing for gaming, movies, reading/browsing.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 am

I am thinking about one of these, but I do NOT want to be limited to Amazon. I want to be able to read any text, ideally, including word-files, reports in pdf format, RTF, and such. And also, I am in Europe and it seems that the market for E-books is still being developed, here. But I am not too eager about the I-phone (fairly heavy, fairly expensive). Would the Nexus serve?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 am

I have the existing Kindle Fire and I don't see the proposed improvements being enough to upgrade but I am seriously looking at the Nexus 7 if I don't buy the new Samsung Galaxy SIII since both are about $199.

Here is an article from Engadget you might find interesting:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-early-benchmarks/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/29/gamestop-plans-to-sell-nexus-7-starts-taking-android-tablet-trades/

A pretty basic intro (warning the guy is annoying)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQunS3UcZeA

My bet is on a google device (Nexus 7) if you are looking for the most open platform and I use both the B&N Nook app and the Amazon Kindle app on my Samsung Galaxy SII with no problem at all currently.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”