Total votes: 36
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Twilight vs. The Hunger Games or meh?

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 pm

i enjoyed both the "twilight" franchise and "the hunger games" trilogy but i know there are plenty of people who consider "twilight" vapid and empty. i'm not sure what to think about how "twilight" and "the hunger games" have been lumped together. personally i think they are separate animals. i do find that "hunger" - kids fighting to the death on a reality show - addresses some important social issues of our times in an offbeat nutty way. and you have to admit, "harry potter", "twilight", "hunger" has gotten young people reading again... so my questions and polls - and you can have multiple answers and votes...

which do you like better, "twilight" or "the hunger games" and do you see any social relevance to one or the other? or meh, don't care? would you let your kids watch the movie? or only if they read the books first?

i've never played games like world of warcraft, or wow, or even skyrim so i read the comments about these games on the gorums with fascination but it's all greek to me. one of these days i'll get around to trying them. i haven't seen john carter and heard it flopped but plenty here seemed to like it. and it is based on a classic. and so i'm very very curious to know what you all think of "the hunger games" and to hear your thoughts if you have any on it...

http://cdn.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/Film/Hunger_Games_Jennifer_Lawrence_Katniss.jpg?1332306705

http://cdn.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/Film/Hunger_Games_Jennifer_Lawrence_Archery.jpg?1326835493

http://cdn3.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/Film/Hunger_Games_Josh_Hutcherson_Jennifer_Lawrence.jpg?1331642974
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Re: Twilight vs. The Hunger Games or meh?

Postby ~pancake~ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:16 pm

My son's entire Jr. High school, 360 students, are going to see the Hunger Games as a group and have studied the books in school.

Back in my day *does her best granny voice* it was Lord of the Flies so I have no issue with this.

Edit to add - I think I would prefer he read the books first (well he's only read one) simply because I like him to read and it's not something he's a big fan of so I'll take any opportunity I get to encourage him. Also, personally I find reading a book before seeing a movie preferable to the other way around.

It might not be on par with To Kill a Mockingbird or Diary of Anne Frank, but anything that gets middle school kids reading and thinking about social and political issues is what education is about.
Last edited by ~pancake~ on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Try to get him to read some David Eddings. He might like it.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 pm

@ pancake: "lord of the flies" absolutely! good comparison! interesting when you consider how many kids grew up with grimms' fairy tales and they are scary, violent, as much as magical and comedic. i think it's awesome your son's jr. high studied the hunger books and are all going as a group to see the movie!

and yes, i agree with you, i much prefer to read the book first before the movie. makes better sense, plus i love reading as i'm sure you do ;)

~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:28 pm

TreatRothschild wrote:Try to get him to read some David Eddings. He might like it.

I have three copies of every David Eddings book ever written in my house.

A hard cover "Do Not Touch" version.
A perfect spined paperback version.
And a dog earred, stained, been read far too many times version.

I wish he'd pick them up :cry:

I've had some limited success getting him to read graphic novels on his own, though I hardly think that counts as reading, but to read actual novels by choice? Not unless I really work on him.
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Danika Stenvaag wrote:and yes, i agree with you, i much prefer to read the book first before the movie. makes better sense, plus i love reading as i'm sure you do ;)

I admit it's probably been the hardest thing about being a parent. I am such an avid reader as is most of my family and yet he has less than no interest, he actively dislikes it. If it was either genetic or learned he'd be a reader to, but he's not. :ohgawd:

So, if I see him with a book in hand, whether it be Holes or Hunger Game or even Percy Jackson and the Olympians, I'll take it.
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm

~pancake~ wrote:
Danika Stenvaag wrote:and yes, i agree with you, i much prefer to read the book first before the movie. makes better sense, plus i love reading as i'm sure you do ;)

I admit it's probably been the hardest thing about being a parent. I am such an avid reader as is most of my family and yet he has less than no interest, he actively dislikes it. If it was either genetic or learned he'd be a reader to, but he's not. :ohgawd:

So, if I see him with a book in hand, whether it be Holes or Hunger Game or even Percy Jackson and the Olympians, I'll take it.

you're doing everything you can possibly do as a mother of a child you love but doesn't share your innate interest in reading. i was going to say don't be too hard on him for that but i know you're not. if anything you might be a bit too hard on yourself. he's just a different person, wired different and you're doing everything right to encourage him to read without bearing down on him.

for me growing up, books were as natural as air. same as you. i started reading at an early age - it was something a lot of my friends didn't share and i never understood why. i connected with anne frank and was reading her writings before we were required to in school. it was like seeing thru the eyes of a sister.

as you say, it's not "to kill a mockingbird" but at least it's something to get younger people reading and engaged... harper lee says in "mockingbird": "you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm

I think one of the tricky things about getting kids to read (boys especially) is the 'competition' books have, these days. Back when ol'man Glaucon was young, there was TV and there were comics, but TV was boring and comics ... well, you can only read them so many times. I got into reading because I wanted the stories. No games and DVD's. Books are harder to get into than much of the competition (even if they offer 'more', ultimately).

Of course, fact is that some people just aren't readers (not of fiction, anyway). Some people just prefer 'doing stuff' over immersing themselves in a story for hours. And maybe that's already the case when they are young... and no matter how what sort of book you set in their path, they will not pick it up for long.
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:36 pm

You might have a point Glaucon, about the fiction part anyway. Every year he gets the Guiness Book of World Records as a gift and will spend hours with it.

So I'm happy to see books targetted to young readers that actually interest them and thrilled that the school is incorporating them. Some parents are not too happy, and I can see their point I guess, but I just know that if my guy had to study Hemingway or Steinbeck it would backfire and solidify his belief that he hates to read.

As for Twilight? I think it's unfortunate that the media is comparing the two series based almost exclusively on the fact that they appeal to young readers. The Hunger series has a lot more substance to it in my opinion.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:38 pm

~pancake~ wrote:
TreatRothschild wrote:Try to get him to read some David Eddings. He might like it.

I have three copies of every David Eddings book ever written in my house.

A hard cover "Do Not Touch" version.
A perfect spined paperback version.
And a dog earred, stained, been read far too many times version.

I wish he'd pick them up :cry:

I've had some limited success getting him to read graphic novels on his own, though I hardly think that counts as reading, but to read actual novels by choice? Not unless I really work on him.
Ahh graphic novels. One of them (Watchmen) is considered one of the best novels of the 20th century.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”