Fifty Shades of Grey- E. L. James

Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey- E. L. James

Postby Harlequin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 am

Oh I'm jealous. that's why I added that whole "Well good for her to be published" part.

It covers my seething all consuming jealousy.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Gretchen
SL Name: Gretchen Sondergaard
Caste: This, that.
Role: The Silence of the Lambs.
Home Stone: die Wälder

Postby Gretchen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 am

I agree with everything that Harlequin said in his post, and Oor too. I read the book, even if it is mostly just.. ugh. I have students in my classes that write far better than that, though I don't want to know if they are even writing erotica. =P

I was able to make my way through most of the books by treating like I treat papers when I am in the editorial mode, and well, yeah, I tend to agree about the prose being mostly crap. The main character just makes me face palm, but I have to say that she is laughing on her way to the bank with the way that the books sold. Toss in the movie deal, and it was a good day for her.
“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” Pericles

Postby ... » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:22 pm

If I'm honest, the thing I find most weird about it (as opposed to the many things I find shit about it) is that it's erotica written in YA fic. style. It's very off-putting!
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think it's written in the YA style so much as it's written to the author's reading level.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Postby ... » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Harlequin wrote:I don't think it's written in the YA style so much as it's written to the author's reading level.

I have a feeling those are synonymous.
June
SL Name: Thelese Resident

Postby June » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 am

I read a few excerpts and found myself fighting the urge to beat my monitor to pieces with a Louisville slugger.

The author and I write similarly, I think: like mouthy Californian girls who are trying to be funny, except that she hasn't found the magic of self-deprecation and dick jokes yet, and probably never will, now that she's rich.

She writes about romance like Ayn Rand writes about trains; as a cold, infallible object that you're too stupid to understand. I felt fucking insulted.

Let's examine this with some novice commentary:

"She hands me a security pass that has 'visitor' very firmly stamped on the front. I can’t help my smirk. Surely it’s obvious that I’m just visiting. I don’t fit in here at all. Nothing changes. I inwardly sigh."

Oh, woe is you, the victim of minor-league bureaucracy. God forbid they try to keep pedestrians from sneaking a piss in their bathroom when the security guards aren't looking.

"She arches her eyebrow as I stand self-consciously before her. I’m beginning to wish I’d borrowed one of Kate’s formal blazers rather than worn my navy-blue jacket. I have made an effort and worn my one and only skirt, my sensible brown knee-length boots, and a blue sweater. For me, this is smart."

No, this is stupid. This is a classic diamond-in-the-rough story with a cardboard naughty-puritan twist, isn't it? Should I start singing about the rain in Spain?

"To be honest, I prefer my own company, reading a classic British novel, curled up in a chair in the campus library."

Paddington Bear, I'm guessing. It can be condensed into a single page and is written with the vernacular of a toddler. Like you.

"So young—and attractive, very attractive. He’s tall, dressed in a fine gray suit, white shirt, and black tie with unruly dark copper-colored hair and intense, bright gray eyes that regard me shrewdly."

Anybody here ever read My Immortal before?

Just don't even get me started on the sex scenes, the laughably unrealistic characters, and the exploitative, backwards nature of the whole damn concept. It's not real, James needs an editor, and I need a drink.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

I'll keep it brief, since most of the critique that I'd have liked to express, has only been done so by others before me.

So...I take it I am alone when I say I found myself actually being more interested in Kate Kavanagh than her milli vanilli roommate? :hrm:

Too bad she had so little "screen time" - that one could have been a lot more fun to follow.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”