Fifty Shades of Grey- E. L. James

Torrid Streeter
Busty McModsalot
SL Name: Torrid
Role: Devil's Advocate

Fifty Shades of Grey- E. L. James

Postby Torrid Streeter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 am

OK last week Good Morning America featured this erotica book that is sweeping the nation. The announcer could not even read a selection without blushing.My husband saw it and texted me the info. Needless to say I had to check it out so this weekend I went out and bought the book.

To my pleasant surprise its about a naive college grad who interviews this young self made millionaire.There is an attraction and he slowly draws her into his world of BDSM.He is an enticing man & Master from what I have read thus far.

I am only on Chapter Six and frankly I am hooked. This poor Anastasia has no idea what she his in for! I enjoy his games, twists and turns. The mental questions and comments.......Yea Christian Grey can be seen as a real prick and an artful Master.

Apparently there are 3 books in the series and I NEED.....yes NEED to run out and buy the other two!! I will keep you all posted as I move into Anastasia's journey into submission. :lips:
Ridicule is the first and last argument of fools.
Charles Simmons
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey- E. L. James

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 am

These used to be originally Twilight fanfiction available online for free titled Master of the Universe (probably still are somewhere Torrid if you look)

Funny how PayPal has reversed its decision to refuse to process payments for non-consensual BDSM ebooks (amongst other erotica topics) in the same week that the mainstream acceptance of this ebook made headlines. :?
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am

serene mistwood wrote:These used to be originally Twilight fanfiction available online for free titled Master of the Universe (probably still are somewhere Torrid if you look)

Funny how PayPal has reversed its decision to refuse to process payments for non-consensual BDSM ebooks (amongst other erotica topics) in the same week that the mainstream acceptance of this ebook made headlines. :?

This actually is a great thing. There are plenty of authors of erotic fiction(BDSM & D/s) that now might be able to get paid for their work without the crazy fees of most e-publishing houses of as much as 40%.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 am

Indeed Kait! The problem is, to date, only independent authors have been targeted by Paypal. The uneven enforcement deserves attention especially when you consider Paypal is owned by Ebay which directly sells the very fiction they say are banning.

There is an online petition. Sadly though, it seems the popularity and potential dollars of the genre ( as in the latest by EL James ) is the determiner if someone is banned or not. At least at present.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/7/stop-i ... ensorship/
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Postby Charlotte » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:41 am

Some of the best novels or novella's I've read have been on online sites like http://www.literotica.com (which has a big selection of non-sex-focussed but 'adult' in content novella's, many of which have a D/s bent)
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl
Adira Llewellyn
SL Name: Adira Llewellyn
Caste: Merchants
Role: Baths owner
Home Stone: Thentis. Resides in Port Kar.

Postby Adira Llewellyn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am

I was hooked but thought the writing was poor. I could almost hear the adolescent voice of Anastasia as I turned the pages, and this ruined it for me. Poor vocabulary, spoken word based narrative structure, and not as dark as I would have liked it. But oh well, I enjoyed American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis. :o

I thought of it as an adult version of Sweet Valley High.

Good things? It is generating interest in the M/s, BDSM theme to the mainstream reader.
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am

Really couldn't see any relation with Twilight in any of it. How it begun as fan fiction is beyond me...
Conall
SL Name: Conall DeCuir
Role: Torvaldslander

Postby Conall » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 am

I have all 3 books (it was a kind of a birthday present and it started to be a nice read), have read the first book half and placed it all at side. It was .. boring and i don't understand the hype. Nothing really moved on but she blushed a lot when i remember right.
"You have your Odin and i have mine"
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 am

Conall wrote:I have all 3 books (it was a kind of a birthday present and it started to be a nice read), have read the first book half and placed it all at side. It was .. boring and i don't understand the hype. Nothing really moved on but she blushed a lot when i remember right.

My co-workers and I all read it about the same time. Two were hooked and bought the remaining two, whereas I couldn't even finish the first. I jokingly called it Fifty Shades of Lame, LOL. The scenes didn't necessarily make me blush since there were so many of them! I felt like I didn't really have chance to learn much about their relationship except well, the sex. Maybe that's the authors point but I need more than great sex scenes to keep me intrigued.

On the upside, I really like how this series has shed a new light on the BDSM culture for mainstream US and I would say a somewhat positive one too!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

I didn't care for the series. I think it is only titillating to a person who has little to no exposure to BDSM which does explain the fervor about the book I suppose.

I do like that now they will use Fifty Shades of Grey instead of Gor to describe every nutball case of abuse masquerading as D/s.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”