The Game of Thrones

Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: The Game of Thrones

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 am

Sansa a stereotypical teenage girly girl - a teenager who loves hearts, flowers and romance. If she was a teenager today, she would probably have her walls filled with Justin Beiber posters and would cry at some sappy song sung by Taylor Swift that reminded her of that boy who talked to her one time in Gym class and now she loved him. She would wear a lot of jewelry from Claire's, would roll her eyes a lot at her father and say "OMG YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME" in a very annoying teenager voice. She SHOULD be very annoying to most adult men! Pretty, but hardly the source of some fantasy for any man over the age of 21. But to some female readers she will be probably very relatable and we could see that in a few years she could be a very different person than what she is in the books now. How do I know this? I was Sansa at age 13 - 15ish. :)
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 am

Elle Couerblanc wrote:Sansa a stereotypical teenage girly girl - a teenager who loves hearts, flowers and romance. If she was a teenager today, she would probably have her walls filled with Justin Beiber posters and would cry at some sappy song sung by Taylor Swift that reminded her of that boy who talked to her one time in Gym class and now she loved him. She would wear a lot of jewelry from Claire's, would roll her eyes a lot at her father and say "OMG YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME" in a very annoying teenager voice. She SHOULD be very annoying to most adult men! Pretty, but hardly the source of some fantasy for any man over the age of 21. But to some female readers she will be probably very relatable and we could see that in a few years she could be a very different person than what she is in the books now. How do I know this? I was Sansa at age 13 - 15ish. :)

I get that. I get that she's supposed to be a vapid little angsty twat. But I hate how you have to suffer through her chapters. I would have been happier reading the conversations from almost any other perspective. She's just...too dumb.

I don't think Sansa is Neutral - she wants to do 'good' but what she actually ends up doing is going along for the ride.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't think Sansa wants to do good. She wants to have pretty dresses; go to parties and court functions; and be queen or some Lords wife who allows her the same experience. She has always come across as a self-serving, self-absorbed character without much loyalty (hidden loyalty is still loyalty) in the books and on the TV screen. I also agree she is just not very bright. Add in intellect with the previous mentioned characteristics and you would have Margaery. The contrast seems intentional to highlight Arya's character.

It strikes me as odd that a fairly well developed 17 year old wouldn't or shouldn't be sexy to men. 18 isn't a magic number.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Kaitlin wrote:I don't think Sansa wants to do good. She wants to have pretty dresses; go to parties and court functions; and be queen or some Lords wife who allows her the same experience. She has always come across as a self-serving, self-absorbed character without much loyalty (hidden loyalty is still loyalty) in the books and on the TV screen. I also agree she is just not very bright. Add in intellect with the previous mentioned characteristics and you would have Margaery. The contrast seems intentional to highlight Arya's character.

It strikes me as odd that a fairly well developed 17 year old wouldn't or shouldn't be sexy to men. 18 isn't a magic number.

Sansa isn't 17. She's 14. Yes, the actress is 17, but they have gone to lengths to play down her ah..adult attributes. She barely has a bust. :-P
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 pm

HorizonNinetails wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:Sansa a stereotypical teenage girly girl - a teenager who loves hearts, flowers and romance. If she was a teenager today, she would probably have her walls filled with Justin Beiber posters and would cry at some sappy song sung by Taylor Swift that reminded her of that boy who talked to her one time in Gym class and now she loved him. She would wear a lot of jewelry from Claire's, would roll her eyes a lot at her father and say "OMG YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME" in a very annoying teenager voice. She SHOULD be very annoying to most adult men! Pretty, but hardly the source of some fantasy for any man over the age of 21. But to some female readers she will be probably very relatable and we could see that in a few years she could be a very different person than what she is in the books now. How do I know this? I was Sansa at age 13 - 15ish. :)

I get that. I get that she's supposed to be a vapid little angsty twat. But I hate how you have to suffer through her chapters. I would have been happier reading the conversations from almost any other perspective. She's just...too dumb.

I don't think Sansa is Neutral - she wants to do 'good' but what she actually ends up doing is going along for the ride.

Not all characters are meant to be likeable. But that's the power of the character if she gets that kind of reaction - so kudos to Martin in my eyes. I have been around a few teenage girls I wanted to slap and send to bed without their dinner!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
HorizonNinetails

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm

I understand you want a reaction. But every time I saw a 'Sansa' written in bold for the next chapter I deliberately put down the book and went off to do something else.

Bran was much more interesting in the books - because the Three Eyed Crow was such a mythical figure. There was a mystique to it.

Cerci is an idiot at times, but I still enjoyed those chapters.

Arya comes off as a twat at the start, but after she has her friend killed I found the character rebounded realistically.

One character I like a lot better in the TV series than in the books is The Hound. I think I skimmed over his depth - I painted him as a drunkard with regret rather than a realist/pessimist/antihero.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Leah wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:It strikes me as odd that a fairly well developed 17 year old wouldn't or shouldn't be sexy to men. 18 isn't a magic number.

Sansa isn't 17. She's 14. Yes, the actress is 17, but they have gone to lengths to play down her ah..adult attributes. She barely has a bust. :-P

The comments regarding attractiveness of the character were all in reference to the actress and not the character described in the books. I know 40 year old women who don't have a bust. That is only one sign of development.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
HorizonNinetails

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 pm

If there's grass on the field...
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Kaitlin wrote:The comments regarding attractiveness of the character were all in reference to the actress and not the character described in the books. I know 40 year old women who don't have a bust. That is only one sign of development.

They said that Sansa doesn't manage to look sexy while upset. I don't think the actress is trying for sexy, personally.

And yes, it is only one sign of development, but the actress in question does have a bust.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:33 pm

HorizonNinetails wrote:If there's grass on the field...

... fertilize the lawn?

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”