Of Kings and Prophets

Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Of Kings and Prophets

Postby Garian » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm watching the pilot now. Be sure to watch the uncensored version if you check it out.

My initial review is that the sets are great, but so far the writing has been weak.

http://youtu.be/MEVtvXbkbnE
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Re: Of Kings and Prophets

Postby Garian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:47 pm

This biblical drama has been cancelled, apparently. There was a season worth of episodes filmed though, so those should still be released soon (about 11 total, maybe). I heard this news on a Christian radio broadcast, they were cheering on the fact that it got cancelled because they disliked that ABC was glorifying sex and violence with a biblical story. Any views on this?
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:53 am

It struck me as an attempt to capitalize on Game of Thrones by throwing the same kind of sex and intrigue into Biblical tales.

It also seemed kind of campy.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 am

It was always going to be controversial. I liked the visuals but the script does feel like its for a younger audience. After two episodes, I'll watch the rest - but, I'll watch almost anything with an ancient historical setting.

The show could focus more on the characters and life in those times, than flowing through a series of scripted events. It's the issue I had with Narcos and its docutainment feel when they gloss over important events with a narrator telling you, "...and so tanks besieged the Ministry of Justice, but let's see what happened next." It's a critical moment in the episode and you're shown 15 seconds of archive footage? Then the show moves on.

Of Kings and Prophets could work if they're less about telling Biblical stories and more about introducing new characters and building up a feel for life in those times. Vikings dedicates most of its airtime to side stories, little else but some culture and traditions and it works. And when the big events happen, they're all the more potent for knowing all of the characters who brought you there.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”