Books

Glaucon

Re: Books

Postby Glaucon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Pelopidas wrote:And it get's worst, im buying everything from Amazon :o

Me too. But the fuckers didn't deliver my last order yet, so it will be a 'second choice' book for me, this Easter. :|
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:37 am

Android reading apps are your friend!

I just love how i click a button and i have the book in 2 seconds.

Ah, the little pleasures of civilization.

Saves you tons of time and money so that you can walk in your local bookstore and have more money and time to waste! :fryingpan:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Hmmm, was actually thinking about getting an e-reader (or maybe an I-pad). Maybe I'll go for a cheap kindle or something, but I am not sure if you can just read 'prepared official book' files on that. I'd like to be able to put regular text (like word-files or acrobat stuff) on it too, and read it (stuff for work or stuff I found on the web). I'll have to investigate, I guess.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Started reading Daniel Abraham, the Long Price Quartet, series, A Shadow in Summer was "ok" i guess.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Pelopidas wrote:Started reading Daniel Abraham, the Long Price Quartet, series, A Shadow in Summer was "ok" i guess.

I recently read the full 'quartet'. Decently written, certainly. Not flashy hero stuff, full of cliff-hangers, the overly romantic stuff or the Abercrombie slaughter and evil stuff or the 'the brave yet annoying yet cute yet innocent yet wise yet with an attitude'-heroine stuff... but certainly decent. Interesting, but a bit slow, even if events later on become... large-scale. Not a set of books I will cherish in my memory forever, but I did enjoy them.

You might like 'The prince of Thorns' (and the second book, the series is not finished yet). That is of the flashy and 'harsh' variety, but it is set in an interesting world with interesting characters and is penned quite vividly as well.

Another series of the fantasy genre (I think it just two books) that I enjoyed recently is written by a female author. Don't remember her name right now, but the first book is simply called 'Empress'. It contains a few very strong characters, and an interesting use of religion, especially in the first book of the (two part) series.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Glaucon wrote:
Pelopidas wrote:Started reading Daniel Abraham, the Long Price Quartet, series, A Shadow in Summer was "ok" i guess.

I recently read the full 'quartet'. Decently written, certainly. Not flashy hero stuff, full of cliff-hangers, the overly romantic stuff or the Abercrombie slaughter and evil stuff or the 'the brave yet annoying yet cute yet innocent yet wise yet with an attitude'-heroine stuff... but certainly decent. Interesting, but a bit slow, even if events later on become... large-scale. Not a set of books I will cherish in my memory forever, but I did enjoy them.

You might like 'The prince of Thorns' (and the second book, the series is not finished yet). That is of the flashy and 'harsh' variety, but it is set in an interesting world with interesting characters and is penned quite vividly as well.

Another series of the fantasy genre (I think it just two books) that I enjoyed recently is written by a female author. Don't remember her name right now, but the first book is simply called 'Empress'. It contains a few very strong characters, and an interesting use of religion, especially in the first book of the (two part) series.

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Empress-Godspeake ... 0316008354

Sounds interesting for sure.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Yep, that's it. Thanks. And sorry, it was three books, not two. The second and third were good reads too, though I found the first one to be the most original.

And it has slavery and 'tahari'-like cities and such, so... maybe lovers of Gor might like it, especially. ;)
Pelopidas

Books

Postby Pelopidas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Finished The Long price quartet. Got rather bored actually, found my self skim reading to find out how the story ends. Pretty.....conventional. The writing, the plots, the characters, maybe the first couple books were better, the last two were a disappointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I felt the second was best, personally. But all had some interesting characters, I feel. The andat were pretty good.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Andat, interesting idea, needed more development. Anyway, started a new trilogy, and this one i really like so far, The Name of the Wind.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”