Books

Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Books

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Currently reading Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World by Michael Lewis. So far a really good book that looks at the financial situation in the US and Europe.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

A new history of the FBI is out, titled Enemies, really good book, look it up, by the same author who wrote a prize winning history of the CIA.

Other than that, David Foster Wallace got translated, FINALLY, in Greek and oh man he is blowing my mind away every time i pick up his short stories.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Thinking fast and Slow

Sadly, we arent as rational, free willing, individuals, as we think.

Escape Artists

Yet another book, critical, of the Obama presidency. I think the other one i recommended a few posts above, Confidence Men, was better.

Outlaw Platoon

Yet another book on the life of an American platoon in Afghanistan, that i enjoyed reading.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Hmmm, I really ought to start reading non-fiction again. At the moment, I don't get much further than newspapers and the occasional magazine.

Trouble is, after a day's work, it is just very nice to relax and escape to some nice fiction la-la land.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

Because i have the same problem, usually i skim read, trying to get the overall argument, i dont spend hours "studying" books :mrgreen:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am

Pelopidas wrote:Because i have the same problem, usually i skim read, trying to get the overall argument, i dont spend hours "studying" books :mrgreen:

I do that too. Well, I try not to. Often it is easy to talk about a book as if you have read it with someone who actually has, while you just skimmed it really quickly. It is kind of against my values to stuff like that, though, however tempting it may be.

Of course, with skimming books, you don't really get value for money. ;)
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Reading books is a hobby and as in most of my hobbies i dont want to do a benefit/cost analysis before i spend money for it. It stops being a fun hobby when you start doing that :mrgreen:

Besides, according to another topic in the Gorums, hell, it's not even my money, so why bother?
Rob
SL Name: .

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Currently reading, no devouring "The Art of Fielding" b Chad Harbach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/books/review/the-art-of-fielding-by-chad-harbach-book-review.html

An amazing book i highly recommend
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Pelopidas wrote:Reading books is a hobby and as in most of my hobbies i dont want to do a benefit/cost analysis before i spend money for it. It stops being a fun hobby when you start doing that :mrgreen:

Besides, according to another topic in the Gorums, hell, it's not even my money, so why bother?

Are you letting your library card glow again with German welfare money? *pimpsmacks him* Get the fuck back to work, Sugar!

:fryingpan:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

And it get's worst, im buying everything from Amazon :o

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”