Books

Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Re: Books

Postby Pelopidas » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:50 pm

So Stormlight Archines is a trilogy indeed but there will be additional books for the same lore. Hum, ok.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Ah, well, if you compare this guy to, say, George M. Martin (Game of Thrones), then... in his favour:

- He already completed several books, start to finnish, including a full trilogy. With an actual ending to it. :D
- He seems to be in the prime of his writing-life and pretty productive.
- He seems to feel himself bound to complete what he starts.

So there, George. :mrgreen:
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm

I kinda selved your trilogy for now, with whatever's happening in the economy cant seem to be able focus on anything else.

So i went back for a 2nd read of Globalization and Its Discontents which is a passionate critique of the IMF by Stiglitz. I remember skimming through this book when it first came out, shaking my head in disbielief on how the IMF and Washington Consesus policies had destroyed country after country and now that it's happening here...well...

Another book that came out just today and might be of interest to Americans, Confidence Men: Wall Street, Washington, and the Education of a President, it's about Obama and how he tried to fix the economy, or how the promise for change fell flat. Read 3 chapters so far, really good read.
Margaux
SL Name: Margaux Levenque
Role: Pillow Fluffer

Postby Margaux » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am

1. Straight From The Gut (Jack Welch) - it was a good read while I was reviewing for Six Sigma.

2. Six Easy Pieces (Richard Feynman) - fascinating in its simplicity when Physics is explained in an idiot proof manner. If I can understand this book, everyone can.

3. The God of Small Things ( Arundhati Roy) - the writer makes me see pictures in my head, it was a brilliant read.

4. How To Travel With a Salmon & Other Essays (Umberto Eco) - delicious literature from an author who has the knack for tongue in cheek.

Currently reading: First Person (Vladimir Putin) - I am trying to understand how an obscure man became such a powerful figure out of nowhere.
"Sluttery is like riding a bicycle. You learn it once and you never, ever forget".
iJudas

Postby iJudas » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 am

Margaux wrote:I am trying to understand how an obscure man became such a powerful figure out of nowhere.

That'll be the FSB at work then. He owes someone something; they put him there to make sure he pays it.

Probably.

Edit to Add: Note to FSB. If you're going to put a black Government vehicle on the corner of my street to observe the comings and goings of my house, please be aware that there are numerous pot holes on the road that might damage your suspension. Thanks.

Also, I'll be watching you watching me.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 am

I am confined to bed, at the moment. And bored out of my mind. Any book tips would be appreciated. :innocent: And preferably not the typical heavy non-fiction stuff, as fiction/light reading works better, when you have a fever.
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:01 am

Glaucon Delphis wrote:I am confined to bed, at the moment. And bored out of my mind. Any book tips would be appreciated. :innocent: And preferably not the typical heavy non-fiction stuff, as fiction/light reading works better, when you have a fever.

Try stuff from Raymond E Feist. its int eh fantasy genre, not too heavy and entertaining.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:27 am

@Glaucon

Try *If on a Winters Night* or *Our Ancestors* by Italo Calvino - one of my favourite writers, a little post-modern but not so much it disappears up its own ass. Silly, dark - really very good.!
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Isabela
SL Name: Isabela Loring

Postby Isabela » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:48 am

Pelo,
I didn't read through this complete thread but most of it and I didn't see anyone suggest one of my favorite American Classics: To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by Harper Lee published in 1960.

I love this book and have read it several times. Please forgive if it has already been suggested.

I also have enjoyed Mark Twains several short stories written by Mark Twain.

The Call of the Wild1903
by Jack London
When his beloved master is killed, the dog Buck flees to the wild, where he becomes the leader of a wolf pack. Rousing adventure set in Alaska’s Klondike country.

Lord of the Flies
by William Golding
A group of English schoolboys, marooned on a tropical island during a time of atomic warfare, bring both civilization and savagery to their community.

These are a few additional classics I like.

I am a huge suspense, thriller fan and would recommend some of Ken Follett books especially some of his earlier ones
Eye of the Needle
It is 1944 and weeks before D-Day. The Allies are disguising their invasion plans with a phoney armada of ships and planes. Their plan would be scuppered if an enemy agent found out... and then, Hitler's prize agent, “The Needle”, does just that. Hunted by MI5, he leads a murderous trail across Britain to a waiting U-Boat. But he hasn't planned for a storm-battered island, and the remarkable young woman who lives there.
The Key to Rebecca
North Africa in the summer of 1942 and Rommel seems unbeatable. His secret weapon is Alex Wolff, master spy, and a deadly code buried in the pages of du Maurier's novel, Rebecca. Crossing the blazing Sahara, Wolff enters Cairo to steal British military plans. His pursuer, Major Vandam, engages the lovely Elene to lure him into range. As Rommel's troops come closer to victory, the pursuit continues across the desert to a startling, explosive confrontation.
The Man from St Petersburg
In 1914, Germany arms for war and the allies are preparing their defences. Both sides need Russia. The Earl of Walden and Winston Churchill plan a secret Russian alliance, but a man steals into England, intent on leaving his mark on history. Fate catches up with a beautiful woman, a young girl and a star-crossed lover, while the police close in on the man who might bring England to her knees.

I hope I have hit on a few books you haven't read yet. :)
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 am

Well, 4 out of 6 i havent read but, my request for suggestions was a long time ago! I have a whole list now and not enough time!

Thanks anyway :mrgreen:

So, keeping on the heavy non-fiction genre :geek:

The Obama book is quite good, a critical yet fair assessment of his 2 years.

In the garden of beasts, love, terror and an American family in Hitler's Berlin.

The life of the American ambassador Dodd in 1930's Berlin. Well, the NYT picked it among the best 2011 books, personally i found it kinda boring and uneven. Dodd was an academic, a history professor, send to Berlin cause they could found noone else, during a period when the USA official stance was a cautious neutrality towards Hitler and his Nazis. Dodd, the Jeffersonian idealist democrat, was one of the few that eventually clashed with the Nazis and went on later, after he was basically fired, to warn public opinion about the danger Hitler was. An interesting character but that's about it. Easy read, finished it in 2 days. And oh, it isnt the life of the family, mainly of Dodd and his daughter, who was fucking around in Berlin like a Gorean pleasure slave. We dont see much of Dodd's wife or his son.

Glaucon, you play chess?

Endgame

A good biography of Bobby Fischer. Enjoyed most the first 2/3 of the books, where we see how young Bobby grows up and becomes, well, the best chess player the world ever saw. Later 1/3 of the book isnt so thorough, guess there wasnt much to write about, covers his fall, after he dissapeared, became a hermit, became a Jew hater, anti-American paranoid, got arrested in Japan and died in Iceland. Sad sad sad, broke my heart, such a mind crashed under its own brilliance. A bad consequence of reading this books is that i feel i cant play chess now.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”