Books

Glaucon

Re: Books

Postby Glaucon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Heard about that one, might give it a try. Now reading the second book in that 'Raven' series about vikings. Well... that and some non-fiction again, for a change.
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Books

Postby Pelopidas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:06 pm

I finished Wise mans fear as well, 2nd book of the trilogy. Well, the book is huge, needed an editor badly, but it still got me hooked. Now waiting for the 3d book I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Hmmm, the first book was a hit, so... odd that they didn't bring in a good editor... but hey... I don't mind my books thick, not at all, if they are good. And anyway... already ordered them. ;)
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 am

Guess his big success gave him vast freedoms from his publisher. Anyway, now im left waiting for the last book of the trilogy so i decided my next fantasy reading would include something...finished. I was debating my choices, Malagan Book of the Fallan saga or Wheel of Time? I went for the first one. Gardens of the Moon it is.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Ah, that series. I read ... I think... 2 of them. But I wasn't overly taken by them. Too many amazingly powerful and mysterious characters/powers at work. I found it both confusing and somewhat meandering, even though lots happens. Hard to discern a 'story' in it, for me. But I gave them to a friend of mine who really loved the series. So... it is a matter of taste.

As for the Wheel of Time... I tried the first book, a while back, mainly because Sanderson is the writer finishing the series. It wasn't bad, but... ah, I felt it was a bit too primitive, nice, and predictable for me (and felt a bit like the 100th 'ordinary young protagonist finds a ring of power/great destiny and sets forth on a journey aided by wise mentors' Tolkien rip-off). But I hear it gets better.

Maybe I am too picky, though. Perhaps I ought to try reading more real literature again. ;)
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Hugh Howey had just put out the last of the wool series.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”