Movies!

Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Movies!

Postby Cassie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:01 am

Leah wrote:
Cassie wrote:I truly yawned for most of ROGUE ONE, boring characters that are never developed with an awkward embrace (like seriously those two never really make sense) . Those 5 minutes with Darth Vader were the only thing worth the movie :thumbup:

I just can't agree. I got enough background about each character to actually care about them. And the awkward embrace was perfect, imho.

The main character is the same background as Rey from the VI then we have an odd relationship with the white hair dude who apparently took care of her but we never see this relationship till she meets him in which she spends 5 minutes with the guy before he decides to die with the whole base.
Even when her father dies its like she tries to care but we don't feel it.
The long lasting embrace between the main characters feels so forced because the shots (blame the editing) makes look like they were very connected but I don't feel the embrace connected weighed on the scenes. Everyone questioned what she saw with her father but at what point they're like "ok we believe you know" and for a long movie fuck I don't need the exposition period but a climax has to be built on the second act with more credibility.
The blind guy and the black one with the gun ok they seem cool... but we have a bare guts description of who they are but not how they met.
The imperial pilot defector, ok he was inspired by the father of the girl... can we know a little more?
It's not bad movie but its lie "These characters are going to die so who cares if people connect" insert cool space battle and Vader here for that extra rotten tomatoes rating.

I had my boner with the Vader scene which was very worth it at least.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:41 am

Cassie wrote:The main character is the same background as Rey from the VI

No, she isn't. For one, she saw exactly what happened with her parents. She isn't "missing" memories or anything like that. She knew why her father was taken, she just made herself believe the worst of him because it was easier than missing him eternally.

then we have an odd relationship with the white hair dude who apparently took care of her but we never see this relationship till she meets him in which she spends 5 minutes with the guy before he decides to die with the whole base.

He's actually a character from the Clone Wars animated series, so if you watched that, you knew exactly who he was. The only question I had about him was how he got so much cybernetic addons. His relationship with the Ersos is also covered in the novel "Catalyst," which explains why Galen Erso ran in the first place, and who helped him (Hint: it was Saw Guerrera).

Even when her father dies its like she tries to care but we don't feel it.

I mean, you may not have felt it, but I did.

The long lasting embrace between the main characters feels so forced because the shots (blame the editing) makes look like they were very connected but I don't feel the embrace connected weighed on the scenes.

To me, it made sense. These were two very defensive, armored individuals. Even with trust, it's hard to let down those barriers. It's possible that the only reason why they did was because of what awaited them in their next few moments.

Everyone questioned what she saw with her father but at what point they're like "ok we believe you know" and for a long movie fuck I don't need the exposition period but a climax has to be built on the second act with more credibility.

The politicians didn't believe her. The scoundrels - the ones who went with her - decided to believe her, and it was heavily implied that they only did so because they needed to cling to the hope that they could do something to destroy the Death Star, or else all of the vile things they had done in the name of the rebellion were done in vain. They were looking for absolution and signed up for a suicide mission.

The blind guy and the black one with the gun ok they seem cool... but we have a bare guts description of who they are but not how they met.

They were both Asian, btw.

The imperial pilot defector, ok he was inspired by the father of the girl... can we know a little more?
It's not bad movie but its lie "These characters are going to die so who cares if people connect" insert cool space battle and Vader here for that extra rotten tomatoes rating.

I went in knowing they were going to die, and told myself I wouldn't get attached. But then I did. *shrug* I ended up liking the characters more than I intended to.

I had my boner with the Vader scene which was very worth it at least.

See, I personally didn't find that interesting at all. But that's just me, I guess! :lol:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Cassie

Postby Cassie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Leah wrote:
Cassie wrote:The main character is the same background as Rey from the VI

then we have an odd relationship with the white hair dude who apparently took care of her but we never see this relationship till she meets him in which she spends 5 minutes with the guy before he decides to die with the whole base.

He's actually a character from the Clone Wars animated series, so if you watched that, you knew exactly who he was. The only question I had about him was how he got so much cybernetic addons. His relationship with the Ersos is also covered in the novel "Catalyst," which explains why Galen Erso ran in the first place, and who helped him (Hint: it was Saw Guerrera).
:

Clone Wars series and Catalyst eh? Yeah I should watch and read them but then the movie should be called ROGUE ONE : some background reading required.

I know I am one of the few who came out of the cinema kind of meh but then again I also made a lot less friends when I claimed Christopher Nolan is an overly contrived full of himself director. :lol:
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Cassie wrote:Clone Wars series and Catalyst eh? Yeah I should watch and read them but then the movie should be called ROGUE ONE : some background reading required.

I'm sure if someone asked you who the hell Darth Vader was and was utterly unimpressed with his scenes because they had no idea who the hell he was, you'd be like, HE'S FROM THESE OTHER MOVIES. :lol:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:06 am

Leah wrote:
Cassie wrote:Clone Wars series and Catalyst eh? Yeah I should watch and read them but then the movie should be called ROGUE ONE : some background reading required.

I'm sure if someone asked you who the hell Darth Vader was and was utterly unimpressed with his scenes because they had no idea who the hell he was, you'd be like, HE'S FROM THESE OTHER MOVIES. :lol:

Slight difference being that you really need to have stayed under a rock never to have at least heard of Darth Vader. Not having watched clone-wars... seems like a more probably proposition.

And really... way way way too much reliance on "Oh, that is XXX from XXX' in movies, these days. Way too many cameo's. "Hey, that is Dan Akroyd." "Oh, look, spider man is in it too. I love spider-man." I'd tell them to tell their own story, not to always rely on recognition or the endless 'adding' of characters (is if a movie with 5 superhero's is going to be 5 times better than one with just 1), but... they won't listen to me. And they'd be right. Because most of us don't read a review to decide on a movie. Most of us just buy a ticket for what is most familiar.
Cassie

Postby Cassie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Glaucon wrote:
Leah wrote:

Slight difference being that you really need to have stayed under a rock never to have at least heard of Darth Vader. Not having watched clone-wars... seems like a more probably proposition.

And really... way way way too much reliance on "Oh, that is XXX from XXX' in movies, these days. Way too many cameo's. "Hey, that is Dan Akroyd." "Oh, look, spider man is in it too. I love spider-man." I'd tell them to tell their own story, not to always rely on recognition or the endless 'adding' of characters (is if a movie with 5 superhero's is going to be 5 times better than one with just 1), but... they won't listen to me. And they'd be right. Because most of us don't read a review to decide on a movie. Most of us just buy a ticket for what is most familiar.

It does end up when I get true STAR WARS fans bitching at me because I am not a true fan because I haven't read the expanded universe, watched the animated series AND played the games. Hah! Even people who are fans admit BATTLEFRONT is a peace of shit but oh you have to try it otherwise you are a fake fan. I am not going to argue that the enjoyment of certain things is enhanced by the reading material (it did for me watching Ender Game the movie really doesn't explain shit) but then again a movie should use the source material as inspiration otherwise it fails.
I remember watching Deadpool and going "Ohhh yeah that is that person from the comic... and that other..." but the people I watched it with had no fucking clue who Deadpool was yet they loved it because they made it so the public could follow and they limited the characters at least in my opinion we were not bombarded with mutants.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05 pm

I agree. If you are going to make a movie, make it a thing that is fun to watch for people that aren't steeped into the lore. Little things thrown in for the fans makes sense, but it isn't little things or subtle references, nowadays. It is blatant and in-your-face references, all the time, very unsubtle and artificial cameo's, making it a recognition-fest more than anything else. Fans are nice, but it seems catering to fans is way out of control, these days, in the whole super-hero and science fiction genres. I get it. Them fanboys and girls drag others to the cinema with them. That helps to make mediocre movies still make a nice buck. Doesn't mean the movies don't suck.

And I agree. Deadpool was cool. I could not care less about the comic book, but the movie itself was very watchable. I am still not sure whether or not Rogue One was any good. I guess I'll watch it again on DVD or something, just to see if it was me being too tired, after all.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 am

Not really knowing what was going on wasn't a problem for me. I like that sort of iceberg writing where you feel like you're just seeing the tip of a much deeper story.

The main problem with the movie I thought was that it felt rushed. It was a very English movie though. Understated, realistic, gritty and sarcastic.
Cassie

Postby Cassie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:21 am

I did watch SILENCE yesterday and I guess my inner fanatism for thing japanaese had mostly to do with this. I am also one to give Scorsese much more credit nowadays seeing how much competition he has when it comes to so called controversial movies.
I liked it overall, good portrayal for once of another culture and he did not push either values of what one would think is his opinion on the matter blatantly on your face. Perhaps too long because I already knew what it was aiming for but it still good enough for me,
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 pm

I watched silence the other day. Good job there were subtitles because i couldn't hear anything.

*groans*
:o.O:
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”