World Cup 2014: One final game to rule em all.

Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Re: World Cup 2014: One final game to rule em all.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Hang on, I have to get the door. Poe's law is here.

And no, there's a huge difference between "Never say anything out of fear of reprisal" and "Don't be a dick".

There's a lot of call for offensive humor but I think a big part of that is it has to be humor. Not like.

"LUL I USED A SLUR LULUL UMAD" etc.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 am

Theoden wrote:You do realize political correctness is the same thing that excuses those arabs for killing people, just because they got all sensitive over a video or a cartoon? 8-)

Nobody's trying to kill you. And nobody's excusing anyone else killing anyone.

You can't defend your right to make a joke that could be potentially offensive in one breath, and in the next condemn people who find that joke offensive for saying so. That's not how freedom of expression/speech work. If you exercise your right to say things that other people may find dickish, you may get called a dick.

On topic; that was one hell of a goal.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Double Aa
SL Name: Mr Gor

Postby Double Aa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:43 am

I was lucky enough to go to the World Cup and catch a few games in person. I really wanted a South American team to win the World Cup, but alas- it was not to be. I partied with the Argentinian fans at a rally they held on Copacabana beach the night before the Argentina-Bosnia game. It was about 1000 people who were singing and dancing- mainly this song (it's catchy as hell):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOGFENyGJM

After that, I was Los Albicelestes the whole way. To be honest, they didn't play all that well the entire tournament but they just ground it out. As my friend said, it's simple. The final was a game of few chances. Goetze took his. Higuain, Palacio, Messi, and Aguero didn't take theirs.

Congrats to Germany. They were the best team of the tournament from beginning to end and deserved to take it all.
"In Gor, everyone plays to win so we just set up the rules to create mutually assured destruction."
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 am

Harlequin wrote:
"LUL I USED A SLUR LULUL UMAD" etc.

Where exactly did I use a slur...
Theoden

Postby Theoden » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:25 am

Oor wrote:
Theoden wrote:You do realize political correctness is the same thing that excuses those arabs for killing people, just because they got all sensitive over a video or a cartoon? 8-)

Nobody's trying to kill you. And nobody's excusing anyone else killing anyone.

You can't defend your right to make a joke that could be potentially offensive in one breath, and in the next condemn people who find that joke offensive for saying so. That's not how freedom of expression/speech work. If you exercise your right to say things that other people may find dickish, you may get called a dick.

It shouldn't be offensive. The fact that german soccer fans sometimes sing it from time to time and some non-Nazi normal german politicians are trying to reinstate it from the CDU shows it. You can see in my previous posts I said it in positive light. As I've said, the stanza was used way before the Nazis.

What I meant with the political correctness and arabs is that even if it is offensive, it is oversensitivity and humoring of oversensitivity leads to ridiculous situations in the world.
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:35 am

After so much time away from the Gorums i start a new topic about the World Cup, having fond memories of the last World Cup topic in this forum, four years ago, and it degenerates in stupid arguments. For God's shake, only Aashe is on topic!

Anyhow, it was a good tournament, one of the best i remember. Many great games, lot's of goals, exchitment, passion, humiliation, it had it all. Germany was the overall best team so congrats to them but Argentina was better in the last game and would claim the trophy if only...Argentina who demonstrated what this country can do when they take the tourney seriously and have a good coach and a plan, not the usuall mess, so much talent being spend so carelessly.

And hey, even Greece managed to qualify passed round one, Greece, trolling world football since 2004.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:46 am

Pointless squabbling seems to be a hallmark of the Gorums. Though tbh, I think you could probably say that about any public online forum. LOL

Was still nice to see you poke your head in, Pelo! Not a lot of us 'original Gorums' folks still around, methinks, unless they're lurking or on alts.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Theoden

Postby Theoden » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 am

I thought pointless squabbling was the point of gorums :popcorn:

Anyway, yeah it was an epic world cup, I loved that USA performed so well. Although I lost interest after US got out, I watched the last few minutes of the final and hoped Germany would win. Über alles. ;)
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Oor wrote:

Oh it was!

...and I had to get up at 0800 this morning - which was not easy, not easy at all.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Theoden wrote:
Mynerva wrote:Out national anthem and the words to it are fine with me. The whole unity, justice and freedom theme have worked pretty well for us as a country. So no need for more bombast or bombs exploding ;) The first verse of the song does not sound better - it sounds like mindless nationalism, brutality, war, genocide, destruction and suffering.

So humorless :P

Then I am humorless too. Will your next song be "Die Fahne hoch die Reihen fest geschlossen" because the Germans have such good defense?
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image

Return to “News”