"Software (Bot) Substituion" A Gorean Forums Think-tank

Hawt Sommer

Re: "Software (Bot) Substituion" A Gorean Forums Think-tank

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:06 pm

You're right... Totally silly to think a robot that can do human tasks will be able to understand commands and just do them...

At least 50 years from now.. Maybe 100...

(Cough!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtHBEU8lrk
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Are these robots walking around in public, Hawt?

Answer: Nope. Which is what I was talking about.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm

No.. they aren't walking around now, you are correct.

But.. lets compare this to the automobile.

1886 First developed functional Automobile.

First Production automobile model produced 1908

Answer = 22 years.

I really don't think a 20 year prediction is off based on previous technologies and what we have a grasp of today in robotics and AI.

Google is consolidating this as we speak, which means it's being focused for a particular purpose.

And as for them flying cars we were promised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:I really don't think a 20 year prediction is off based on previous technologies and what we have a grasp of today in robotics and AI.

I do not disagree (as you may have been able to tell from my posts above).

But for me, the really big question is if/when they come up with human-like AI. If that were to happen within, say, the next 10 years, then I'd predict really big technological changes having come in, say, 20 years. If it were to happen later (and my best guess is it won't happen within the next ten years), then I'd guess that, while we will see significant changes between now and 20 years, including more use of robots and more automated systems, it won't be what Théoden called 'AIworld' just yet.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

We live in a fucked up world when people dread new technologies taking care of some of the most repetitive, mindnumbingly boring and unfulfilling jobs a human being could possibly be forced to dredge in.

If we weren't so absurdly, blindly loyal to economic growth, we'd probably quite embrace such a scenario and all the benefits that come with it.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Victor. wrote:We live in a fucked up world when people dread new technologies taking care of some of the most repetitive, mindnumbingly boring and unfulfilling jobs a human being could possibly be forced to dredge in.

If we weren't so absurdly, blindly loyal to economic growth, we'd probably quite embrace such a scenario and all the benefits that come with it.

I don't dread them, but I think preparation or some kind of direction/action from governments/ businesses should be considered.

Population keeps growing/ Food needs to be put on the table. We live in a society that still relies on an economy to feed everyone.

What needs to change? The economy itself? Our way of thinking? Our way of life?

That's the whole point to this Thread.

Why pay minimum wage when you can just lease a 24hr a day robot?

If 20% of the Job sector is disappearing in 20 years.. what are those 20% of the workforce going to be doing?
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Victor. wrote:We live in a fucked up world when people dread new technologies taking care of some of the most repetitive, mindnumbingly boring and unfulfilling jobs a human being could possibly be forced to dredge in.

I don't dread them, but I think preparation or some kind of direction/action from governments/ businesses should be considered.

Population keeps growing/ Food needs to be put on the table. We live in a society that still relies on an economy to feed everyone.

What needs to change? The economy itself? Our way of thinking? Our way of life?

That's the whole point to this Thread.

Why pay minimum wage when you can just lease a 24hr a day robot?

If 20% of the Job sector is disappearing in 20 years.. what are those 20% of the workforce going to be doing?

I'll roll it up from the bottom, because that's really the crux of the matter.

If you suddenly have a production effeciency explosion by fully-automating all those processes, what keeps you from reducing the working hours across the board by 20 % so those 20 % without a job have a chance to branch out into a new direction?

Hell, while you're at it - might as well finally put a basic, unconditional income into effect. Gives people a needed security while they MIGHT develop a new sense of educational curiosity if all those McJobs we are talking about aren't really an option any more and it's either scraping along the bottom with that basic income or make something more out of their lives.

Will there be people mooching off of it? Hell yeah, but that's happening right now in every social security system across the globe just as much and no first world country would possibly collapse under a basic income regulation.

And what I think needs to change? That perverted ambition to have growth at all costs. There seems to be some unspoken superstition that there couldn't be advancement without perpetual economical growth.

Which is why we have a whole bunch of precarious employments like some absurdly exploitative all-in contracts and atrocities like freaking employers crawling the curb for cheaper-than-cheap labour force they don't need to insure etc. pp. In most company's I have had the pleasure of collecting my professional experience, it usually came down to 20 people doing what 40 did some 20 years ago, 6 what 9 did - you get the picture. And at the same time unemployment rates are out of whack and industrials ask for people to work until 70 now instead of 65 to get their pension, beccause that's what the economy requires.

There is just a whole bunch of stuff wrong that COULD be righted with something as simple as robotics, but we all know that if the production doubles, it won't mean that someone gets the same pay he used to, but has a lot less stress now that the robot does most of his shit. Instead he might be regulated down to 2 hours a week for maintenance for fuck-all at the end of the month on his strip.

High time that a technical revolution pushes the work/life balance back towards equality. The way its now, you really can't blame people for not seeing any perspectives in their lives.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm

They said decades ago, technology would make people more productive that they would have to work half as less. More leisure time etc.

Well here we are today. Did companies make people work half as less and bring about good work/life balance?

No, people work about the same amount. Productivity only means more profit for corporations, it doesn't mean a better work life balance for the human being.

I can't imagine any scenario where robots being introduced would be good, unless the government heavily invests in technical education for its population. A well educated and well off work force in very skilled jobs, with a base of manual robotic AI automated laborers at the bottom.

I'm sorry but while this may happen for a small country of a few million people, like Scandinavian countries, it won't work for a country of 300 million people. Especially when multiculturalism breeds more and more individualism due to basic human nature (group vs group identities) and less collective action is taken that is needed for investing in education for the workforce.

Perhaps some rich states like Massachusetts and cities on the eastern seaboard can become little enclaves where highly educated workforces are augmented by robotic lowskill labor. But there will be large swaths of the country where robots will be hated upon by half the population. Including those lower-middle income Tea Partiers that over the next few decades will become lower income, due to rising inequalities.

Then what you will see is either a revival of racism and anti-robot sentiments.

This is all assuming that robots will only stick to manual labor and low skill jobs. What happens when technology advances and software advances exponentially? When they can do even high skill jobs?

Eventually the society will become an elite 1% vs 99%, and the elites will be controlling armies of armed robot police.

Then far off into the future, what if AI advances so much that people start tricking themselves in thinking they have souls as well? That they are sentient?

We already have morons in the Animal Liberation Front thinking animals have souls, based on rudimentary intelligence. What about AI? What happens when robots suddenly get 'rights'? Emancipation for artificial intelligent lifeforms?

Humans cannot compete with these economically either. Eventually there will be war, with the humans striking first. And I'm not so sure they'll win.

God creates man. Man pretends to be God and creates artificial man. Artificial man destroys man.

AI and genetic engineering. Two pandora's boxes that will destroy the human race.

Return to “News”