My Child Molesting hero / actor/ producer
9%
My Child Molesting hero / actor/ producer
9%
Poor old man that is just a little creepy
9%
Poor old man that is just a little creepy
9%
Other (Because I want to got blah blah blah)
No votes
Other (Because I want to got blah blah blah)
No votes

Total votes: 22
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: POLL: Woody Allen is.....

Postby Leah » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Kaitlin wrote:I mentioned his role because it can't be denied that he would have a clear understanding if the events that followed the accusation by other professionals were in keeping with normal protocol.

His profession as a therapist shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not you believe his opinion, though. You can choose to believe what you like, but giving his opinion more weight because he's a licensed therapist is a bad idea.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:57 am

Kaitlin wrote:I see you missed my earlier statement about not having blind faith in professionals. I don't however discount his professional knowledge in assessing whether or not his sister was sexually abused.

Except his professional knowledge is neither here nor there. He's too close to the situation, is way too invested.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:38 am

Kaitlin wrote:
Leah wrote:He's too close to the situation, is way too invested.

Are you serious? How do you know? How could you possibly know that 20 years later this guy is so emotionally invested that he can't look at this through his professional lense? Is there some magic switch that gets shut down on learned skills and experience when emotions are involved with 100% certainty in all cases? This is news to me.

No professional therapist worth his or her salt would ever offer an opinion as a therapist about a situation that involved close family members. Dylan is his sister. Allen is a father figure. His other sister is married to Allen. The entire thing involves his parents, his siblings...he is not unbiased. He can't be unbiased. Man's not a robot.

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:11 am

I don't think he did offer his perspective as 'a therapist'.

Anyway, I find Woody Allen's more elaborate defense to be fairly compelling. Is the old geezer a bit of a lecher, a libertine, a 'rake', beneath the familiar image of the insecure and not obviously attractive bespectacled jewish intellectual? It seems so. But that doesn't render this old accusation brought up in the middle of a custody trial, one that was never proven in court true. The likes of Casanova, Don Juan, Hugh Hefner, JFK, Charlie Sheen etc. may try to bang just about anything that looks attractive and certainly don't shy away from anything or anyone because it would transgress social/moral norms, including norms about the age of consent, but them forcing themselves upon 7 year olds is something else entirely. And while it is fairly clear that Woody Allen is someone that likes to take from the candy-jar, and while he seems to be fairly honest about that, the accusation we are talking about would seem to be less in character.
Melchior Wardell
SL Name: Melchior Wardell
Caste: Undertaker
Home Stone: None
AkA: Melchior Wardell

Postby Melchior Wardell » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Kaitlin wrote:He never offered his opinion as a therapist. I was pretty clear about that in my post. I also never stated he would be unbiased. That said, it is wrong to assume any bias would prevent him from connecting the dots for himself between point A and point B using what he knows personally and professionally. I'm still baffled why you are insisting this guy has to have blinders on.

In truth - as a therapist myself - I have to say that in regard to this situation - he can never see it through the eyes of a therapist. He can't ever make a cold judgment based on what is presented before him.

He is first a child. I know this might sound odd, but it is very important to see that a therapist that understands all the sides to a story you can't be involved in any shape or form. Because that shape or form makes you no longer a true therapist. In this I really believe that Leah is having a point.

It is why I couldn't ever judge a scene that involves my children, my brother, my mother, my father, etc. I would be mother first, sister first, child first, before I can ever get to the roll of a therapist.
Melchior Wardell

Postby Melchior Wardell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47 am

It isn't possible Kait, because the very most important thing you have to own as a therapist is an unbiased look upon a situation or person.

As a child or mother you can't ever have it. Of course you might have knowledge about how things can effect another, but you can't ever make a good judgement on it. You might know the terms that are used. You might know the effect several thing have on humans. But that is all there is to it.
Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 am

Whether the brother is a therapist or not is immaterial from the point of view of offering his opinion as a brother. He was not offering therapy but commenting from his own experience and memory of that time period. From what I can tell, all Kaitlin was saying is that given his age and back ground as a professional he makes a creditable witness. Something lawyers, and juries do all the time. Both prosecution and defence will often ask a jury "who do you find most creditable" .
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
Melchior Wardell

Postby Melchior Wardell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Ghost wrote:Whether the brother is a therapist or not is immaterial from the point of view of offering his opinion as a brother. He was not offering therapy but commenting from his own experience and memory of that time period. From what I can tell, all Kaitlin was saying is that given his age and back ground as a professional he makes a creditable witness. Something lawyers, and juries do all the time. Both prosecution and defence will often ask a jury "who do you find most creditable" .

In truth that is partly true. As a child we have this natural instinct for survival. It is one of the things that most adults have issues with when they are facing a dispute with their parents. Regardless of what is right for them they feel obligated to their parents to act differently. It is why it is very hard for any child to speak against their parents.

I know there has been number of researches (including my own) that point to a genetic thing that is in our brain because it is imprinted in our survival mode. It is one of the things why it is so hard for a child to testify against their parents.

Now above stated - let me be very clear - I can't say if the girl is indeed influenced by her mother and has given a false testimony. Since the possibility does exist. Just as I am unable to state that the brother is able to lie for his father.

Return to “News”