get a ticker-tape parade!
13%
get a ticker-tape parade!
13%
not be proscecuted.
No votes
not be proscecuted.
No votes
be offered asylum in any decent country.
10%
be offered asylum in any decent country.
10%
be ignored. Water under the bridge and all that.
10%
be ignored. Water under the bridge and all that.
10%
be brought to the USA, to answer for his crimes.
10%
be brought to the USA, to answer for his crimes.
10%
be killed, the fucking traitor, if need be abroad.
7%
be killed, the fucking traitor, if need be abroad.
7%

Total votes: 30

Re: Edward Snowded should...

Postby ... » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 am

TreatRothschild wrote:Are you certain of that?

Depends how pedantic you want to be. The activities of law-making governments that have been uncovered recently should terrify any thinking person.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:20 am

Well, I am terrified but I'm also, to quote a cartoon bird "About to fall down and die from not surprise."

The corporations can have you locked up. Look at the proliferation of DMCA type laws.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Meanwhile...

... it is becoming more clear that a lot of the data collected (which, by the look of things, seems to include just about everything, and I am not being paranoid in thinking that even the message I am posting now, here, is included in some way in the meta-data collected by the US and - some - allied governments)... is collected from the companies that we use the services of. Including the software we run on our computers. It is also clear that those companies (virtually all of them) are going to continue to want to collect more and more data (including, if it is up to google and such, just where we move our mouse over the screen) and that this data will also be accessible to the government.

Interestingly, it also seems that many such companies aren't that happy with the government. Some seem to be eager informants, quite willing to selll their customers out, but others aren't pleased. Especially when they find out that when the government cannot compell them to hand over data legally, it will just infiltrate their systems to get at the data through other means. Often, the government forces them to collect data that they didn't want to collect themselves. And I cannot imagine that a company selling incryption-software will be pleased to see the media report that their incryption code included an open-door policy for government visitors.

Those that care about privacy and/or limited power for governments can only hope that these companies will weigh in on this, prefering to keep their data for commercial purposes and will join those that seek to end these mass-spy programs, I suppose.
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Leah wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:There's a reason why he didn't stay in the US, or in any european country. The guy isn't an idiot.

He'd most likely end up hanged or something, with media trying to claim he commited suicide.

Over here in Belgium the government is pretty liberal and comes across as a bunch of pansies, but not too long ago there was the whole (still unsolved) issue of the "Gang of Nijvel" and a lot of people too ended up suspiciously dead in their prison cells or simply disappearing.

If you're in the loop, like Snowden, of all the secret illegal stuff your government pulls you'd probably also not be unfamiliar with governments trying to be dirty in how they'd like to clean up their biggest mess.

I have a friend with a...shall we say...colorful history. What I got from him, regarding Snowden, is that if the US ever gets their hands on him, we probably won't ever see him again. If he'd stayed in the US, he would already be dead. He's probably not much safer in Russia, however.

3 and a half years later since this post... yes, he's much safer in Russia. Heart still beating, still speaking out. And that other thing about Russians hacking, I know they didn't because their finger prints were all over it and communications were in Russian so you know they didn't do it. A state sponsored hack wouldn't be that stupid to leave behind their own finger prints. They'd leave the other guy's finger prints and language in the communications. The media is biased.

I had this same experience when I visited my friend and he didn't bother to tell me they were holding an off campus rally. All I said was give the new president a chance and I nearly got my purse ripped out of my hand and beat over the head with it. So much for free speech. I can relate to this. This will take less than two minutes of your time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI23HIAhTIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI23HIAhTIk
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 pm

LOL you're linking Tomi Lahren videos to back your words.

:roflmao:

And now apparently you're an expert on cyber security. I had no idea.

:roflmao:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Yes, because my experience was the same. Tomi is spot on. Being blonde doesn't make for automatic stupidity or forbid having political opinions.

And nopez, I'm not a cyber security expert and would never pretend to be. But I do believe WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange when he says the leaks didn't come from the Russians. And while I'm not a fan of John McAfee, he is a cyber security expert and I believe he's right in saying with all the Russian finger prints and communications on the hack, it wasn't them. I'll just post the video links and if you have the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t5zbKnvQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t5zbKnvQk

This one is longer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvj0v0W6yjk

Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Glaucon wrote:Meanwhile...

... it is becoming more clear that a lot of the data collected (which, by the look of things, seems to include just about everything,

Indeed, newest Big Data development tools like Apache Hadoop can also collect unstructured data, so they could reach almost everything.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Give the new president a chance.... Yeah, of course... Remember how Republicans and supporters gave Obama his chance?

He is officially the president of the USA since 15 days and this immature buffoon with no class already proved that he didn't deserve a chance. Let's hope for an impeachment as soon as possible.

Trump: Make America hated in the rest of the world.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:27 am

When I was at college(high school) in the times before residential broadband, we heard of a 24 Hour computer room at the local university with Internet access! So we'd drive up there in the night, get sufficiently stoned, raid the vending machines for snacks... then 5 of us would enter this vacant lab with 50 PCs. We'd settle in all over the room and go online for our first Internet experiences.

With all the possibilities for exploring the net, it always happened that someone would call out a HTML chatroom. Within 5 minutes we'd turn it into a warzone with everyone shouting abuse at everyone else. The room would clear out, then we'd find another site with activity and... repeat.

So it was daft, but we were young and stoned! Now over 15 years later, it's appalling to see everyone is trolling everyone on the Internet. It brings out the worst in people when government officials and journalists are at it too. This is just the beginning, when you can appeal to the masses by being hateful, then these will be the divisive twitter/youtube accounts and political leaders of the future.
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Yes, absolutely! As for Trump, at the end of the day, he's still the president and all the screaming and crying and mud slinging and setting cars and shops on fire isn't the answer. This isn't the same as protesting an unjust war or genocide. Adapt and work with what you have and bring about change from within. Elon Musk, The CEO of SpaceX and Tesla has been under fire for his proximity to the administration. Musk is on Trump's business advisory council. (Sorry for the dryness of my post, I'm quoting from a news article I read).

Elon tweeted from ‎@elonmusk: Activists should be pushing for more moderates to advise President, not fewer. How could having only extremists advise him possibly be good?

Meantime, customers have canceled orders for Tesla cars. Somone on twitter tweeted @W4AS @elonmusk: It is becoming clearer that it is time for you to stop working with Trump. How many Tesla sales have you lost as of now?

Elon tweeted back from ‎@elonmusk: @W4AS Good grief, I'm not "working" for Trump. I'm trying to provide advice that helps take things in a more positive direction.

This is a link to the article about Elon Musk on Trump's council:

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-trump-advisory-council-2017-2

I picked anthropology for my minor for a reason, because I love culture and history and I've learned things aren't strictly black and white. I loved reading history and I know how President Franklin D. Roosevelt was, born into wealth in New York, his boisterous flare - he was a showoff and said some pretty crazy stuff too - and all the darker sides of his personality - the Japanese internment camps, places like Manzanar, were just a few of his murky deeds. FDR still went on to become a great president (some will still debate that). I can't make that comparison with Trump yet. He could go down in flames or with a fizzle. He could succumb to all the criticism directed at him. We will see.

He's doing right by removing sanctions and reopening business and trade with Russia. Because the alternate reality, what could have been, is unthinkable, a nuclear war, and my liberal sisters and brothers are completely clueless to that and are in denial. Russia is not our enemy. The people calling Russia the devil are of the same mind of people that would point fingers and cry witch. I just hope Trump comes to realize that global trade has many benefits, not just in terms of money, but in the trade of values and culture.

Return to “News”