get a ticker-tape parade!
13%
get a ticker-tape parade!
13%
not be proscecuted.
No votes
not be proscecuted.
No votes
be offered asylum in any decent country.
10%
be offered asylum in any decent country.
10%
be ignored. Water under the bridge and all that.
10%
be ignored. Water under the bridge and all that.
10%
be brought to the USA, to answer for his crimes.
10%
be brought to the USA, to answer for his crimes.
10%
be killed, the fucking traitor, if need be abroad.
7%
be killed, the fucking traitor, if need be abroad.
7%

Total votes: 30
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Edward Snowded should...

Postby Cassie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am

It is sad the american people felt like rather than choosing a president they had to choose the lesser evil.

To many extents I see the lies and corruption that surround Hillary Clinton but I doubt much would have changed from the way the Obama administration has worked until now and I think a lot of americans knew it. So who cares if the current president aside a lack of background and politics and car man sales tweets is elected at least he lies to your face and at least he is not afraid to take action. Because that is what this is really about.

Some of the american folks who voted for Trump who I would call all but stupid clearly are people who are fed up with some real issues one which I do not disagree is Obama's lack of confrontation. I am not going to call Obama a bad person nor a bad president I think he has accomplished more good things than people are willing to admit. I think the issue is a lot of people see the invading market and constant influx of diversity in their country as a threat to their everyday life. Trump is rich white man who made it (well daddy anyways) who walks tall and boasts about saying bullshit because at least he looks like someone who has balls.

The fact that a lot of companies are producing out of the US is nothing new and nothing that can be stopped, most business decisions are made several years later. It's not like your mass production in China will stop because the President motivates them to, even economically there is no way that will change much.

I don't think Trump will be able to change the things people care about, I am however concerned that his plans will increase the american debt further. That is not something you can fix easily when you start to owe money because of your expensive wall and not increasing significantly taxes.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:19 pm

"I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore." So.. "Something gotta give." Something has to change.

So, you vote for the guy that channels your anger best. And not for the one that doesn't channel anger well at all, that is far better as a focus for anger.

That is my best explanation.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Danika, you're definitely stupid if you think that we were in danger of a nuclear war with Russia. Putin is more a dictator than a democratic leader, but he is still not suicidal. Actually, USA are potentially at risk of having a war with China because the conflit about the fake islands in South China sea. And believe me, China is a far more dangerous player on the international stage, than Russia. But see, despite China is the second economic power (Russia is not even in the top 10, now....) and despite this potential war comming, experts agree on a point: No risk of nuclear war.
So, please, find better arguments...

Second, about the AT&T-Time Warner merger, I suggest you read this: http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus ... story.html

Too, the ranting of so-called president Trump against CNN is childish (well, like all his other rantings) and a dangerous precedent against the democracy and freedom of press. His way to deal with the press is just deeply immature. His recent lie about the covering of terrorists attacks by the medias is just scandalous and any person who is not a special kind of stupid should see another proof that he is not worthy of his function.

Now, your videos... Seriously, Youtube is your political resources, Danika? :shock: Are you realizing that the first video about Gaddafi's death, is, in fact, two videos joined together, back to back, in an effort to create false context?
There's no specificity as to what the "barbaric operation" is... Nor is there any specificity as to whom Clinton is referring to when she says "he died"...
The one about the Benghazi hearing shows only a moment where she laughed at how the question sounded. It made it sound as if the woman was asking if she'd had a romantic liason at home. It was simply a matter of her (and others, because you can hear laughter in the background, she is not the only one who laughs) recognizing how the question could be misconstrued in a humorous manner.

And about laughing........ No fake, there:

But I'm confident enough that he won't last 4 years... If a procedure of impeachment is launched, I'm quite sure that even many Republicans will vote with Democrats.... The sad thing is that this creationist bigot of Pence would become president... But in a way, he is more balanced....
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm

My two all time favorite American presidents are Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. I adore Kennedy. I admire his mind, his way of thinking, the way he governed, the intelligence and wit behind his words. JFK was the epitome of strength yet restraint. He had will, nerve, wisdom. Were it not for his clear thinking and restraint during the Cuban missile crisis, I would never have been born. None of you would be here today. Know yourself, but know your enemy even more. This is why I've said we need to stop demonizing and witch hunting the Russians and find common ground to work together. A poster on this thread said the Chinese are dangerous. Sure. But the Chinese have so much money invested in us, in the world market, they have more to lose by going to war than the Russians if pushed too far. The Warsaw Pact is dead. The Russians have no equivalent to our NATO. Yet who has the biggest, most aggressive military lined up along the Russian borders? We do. The west. Our NATO. Push a bear into a corner and watch out when it lashes back at you in desperation.

I love surfing. I love shopping. And I love history. Surfing is pure Zen to me. Shopping is mindless fun. But history is edifying. I wish more people would pay attention to its lessons. There was an interview with President Kennedy in December 1962. In the first two minutes, Kennedy lays out the realities of office, the conflicts such as with India and Pakistan, and admits things won't be solved in a century. And 10 minutes into the interview, Kennedy emphasizes the importance of the press to a free society. He admits, he may not always like what the media has to say, but he welcomes it. How refreshing!

So here's the video of the interview with Kennedy I'd like to share with you all: President John Fitzgerald Kennedy After Two Years (1962 INTERVIEW)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LDApCWe_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LDApCWe_0
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Danika Stenvaag wrote:
I love surfing. I love shopping. And I love history. Surfing is pure Zen to me. Shopping is mindless fun. But history is edifying.

Keep continuing shopping and surfing... It's probably what you do best....
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Danika Stenvaag wrote:JFK was the epitome of strength yet restraint. He had will, nerve, wisdom. Were it not for his clear thinking and restraint during the Cuban missile crisis, I would never have been born. None of you would be here today.

Interestingly, quite a few historians seem argue that, whatever the collective national memory of the event among the people of the USA, the Cuba-crisis was, in fact, a rather chaotic event within the US government (Kennedy even mentions it in this interview). Some claim that what the USA did was very confusing and that, had they been clearer with the messages send to the USSR earlier on, those 'ships' would never have been going to Cuba. I am not sure. What is pretty clear that modern civilization (and perhaps humanity) came closer to self-destruction during his presidency (that crisis) than it has ever come before or after. Not sure we should be blaming him for that. But ... had "Mr. Chroesjtsjov" had the personality of say... a Donald Trump, had been the type to always double down, Kennedy calling his bluff might have led to our extinction.

And as for restraint... times are different. But in several areas (drugs, women), he showed less restraint than any president since, probably. He even slept with a Russian spy, I read. Not sure that is unique (as far as we know, Bill Clinton only dallied with only 1 intern during his 8 years, and (if I am to believe Mr. Steele's info about Trump - which I don't - he might have been in bed with Russian girls too), but... not sure I'd call that restraint. Different times, though.

But yes... if you listen to him, follow what he says, then... it IS a guy that KNOWS stuff, that THINKS, that respects and understands the processes and institutions of the USA. The cold war stuff is very clear, but that was the reality of the time. It is someone with a degree of eloquence. They called Obama a 'professor'. But this guy is no less of a talker and thinker, from this interview. It is all pretty civilized. And actually, fairly 'humble' and dignified. He talks about 'we' did this and that, not about 'I did' (unlike someone else we know).

Compare that to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kweSUKTV-Q
(And those are just a few of the highlights... or low points, really).
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:10 am

Danika Stenvaag wrote:Were it not for his clear thinking and restraint during the Cuban missile crisis, I would never have been born.

And to think of all the hours and hours of debates that such hypothetical would have spared us.

Juuust kidding, Danika ... but I couldn't help it. :fryingpan:
Purist, not elitist.
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 am

Ha ha, good one eligiblejam! You got me there :D

To Glaucon, very thoughtful post from you. I follow you all the way till you talk about his sexuality. I'd rather know he kept his pants on, but It doesn't really bother me much; it didn't cloud his effectiveness as a great president and I doubt he gave away state secrets to a Russian spy. Hey, if I'd been alive back then and worked as an intern in the White House and JFK came on to me, I'd probably have a hard time not succumbing to his charms even if he was older than me, ha ha! As for Nikita Khrushchev, if he'd been more like Trump, I'm sure President Kennedy would have figured it out and adapted with new strategies. You hear him in the interview where he mentions different strategies were on the table and they would have scaled each one depending on the situation. And wasn't Khruschev the one I read about in history that took off his shoe and pounded the table with it at the UN when he learned he couldn't go to Disneyland? Quite honestly, both men were smart, both realized the urgency of the situation, and figured out ways to get around their governments and establish more peaceful relations. They got along pretty well after the crisis passed.

Oh... and back to eligiblejam... When I post my *cough* discussions (or debates as some people look at them), I'm often hoping to get a Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston's Friends character) response. But usually, the best I can hope for is the response further down in the "guys" section... if I'm lucky and people are in a good mood ha ha! But you're right eligible, I realize I do go on a lot of times. You made me smile ;)

http://nairobiwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/diff22.jpg
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com

Return to “News”