Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

Postby Leah » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am

They said that all indications are that he planned this out.

Like, I can't even...my mind won't wrap around that.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 am

I wish we would not use or even know his name. I wish reporting on this stuff would leave these guys nameless and faceless. I wish the media/press would enter a convenant about that, agreeing to not report on this side of the story. Because I know that everyone talking about them is the thing these guys are really after.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 am

No.

But it creates more people who fantasize about having their name in flashing lights.

Usually the powerless and the nameless want to be somebody. Even if they don't get to see the aftermath - more people are "inspired" or, more aptly put, incited, into doing similar acts.

I think the killer should always remain nameless.
Meriasek
SL Name: Meriasek Resident

Postby Meriasek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 am

My thoughts are also with the remaining family of the perpetrator, as well as of course all the victims and their families.

To have any form of mental health problems in ones close family is deeply upsetting, I can't imagine how it must feel to have someone close to me do something like this.

I wonder if he was even on the radar as having serious mental health problems? It is the big blind spot in our health systems. No doubt it will come out in due course.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:40 am

There is no point in making excuses, don't blame the health system, publishing his name or any other irrelevant factors.

He is a person, no different from anyone else, who had easy access to guns that he used to kill lots of small children.

I have a friend who lives in Newtown, just a few miles from that school, I was there only last year.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 am

Kaitlin wrote:Why is it that people immediately go to the crazy defense? :banghead:

Because human beings are wired to look for a reason for everything. We're wired to try to explain the unexplainable. What this guy did? Is so abnormal and "off the rails" that our first instinct is to say, "He must have been crazy." Because no sane person would have done something like this.

Kaitlin wrote:If it is found out that he was mentally unstable and they were aware and didn't take the proper precautions I hold them just as responsible for each and every death.

My understanding is that his father and mother were divorced, and his father did not live with them. I'm not 100% sure about the older brother, but what little I was able to find out last night seemed to indicate he did not live with his brother, either, or else only spent part of the time there.

No clue about the guns themselves, however. I've heard mixed reports that they were guns purchased by his mother, guns illegally purchased (perhaps using his mother's license without her knowledge), and that the guns belonged to yet another relative, and were stolen by this kid. I think it's going to take a while for the truth to come out on that end.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Meriasek

Postby Meriasek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:24 am

Why is it that people immediately go to the crazy defense

Why is it that people immediately use the word "evil" to "explain" something they don't understand?

Also, "mental health problems" does not equal crazy. It might mean autistic, or many other things.

Do you really find it sufficient, to explain why someone would (presumably, we don't know the full facts yet) make a plan to get hold of weapons, take a few zillion of shells, toddle off to kill one parent, then the other, then go to a school where they proceeed to kill several adults and 20 innocent little children, then kill themselves, with no apparent benefit to themselves at any point, to just say "they are evil". That explains it ok, does it? I don't think to point at mental health as a possible cause is a cop out, and its a more likely explanation.

The reason its dangerous - and lazy - to say that "evil" is the reason, is these things happen all over the world, periodically. One happened a few miles from where I live. If we reach for the easy explanation, we don't have to ask any questions about why it happened, it just did because he was "evil", and so there is nothing we could have done about it.

Also, have you not realised that evil and crazy (your word, not mine) are just words, that may well be describing the same thing. Its what you do about what happened that matters, calling the perpetrator evil means - you do SFA. The evil man is dead, get angry for a while then move on, nothing to do here.
Meriasek

Postby Meriasek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 am

More dangerous is to blanket it as crazy.

I agree. Thats why I didn't. Its dangerous to use any knee jerk response, like evil. I suggest you re read the original post I made, as you seem to be wanting to criticise one I didn't make.
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Postby Dren Bernard » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 am

Evil deeds get done by all sorts of people, crazy or not.

I don't want to decide who he was or why he did it until I get more information.
Meanwhile discussions about mental health and gun control will happen. The ferocity of these discussions may well help mitigate feelings of powerlessness in the wake of such evil fate for these innocent victims.

For now, all I can think of is the devastated parents who will be unable to ever hold their precious children to their heart again. Christmas presents, meant to bring much joy to their children, that now will remain under their tree, forever unopened.
To have your own ripped away from you hurts like hell.
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Meriasek

Postby Meriasek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:50 am

Dren Bernard wrote:Evil deeds get done by all sorts of people, crazy or not.

I don't want to decide who he was or why he did it until I get more information.
Meanwhile discussions about mental health and gun control will happen. The ferocity of these discussions may well help mitigate feelings of powerlessness in the wake of such evil fate for these innocent victims.

For now, all I can think of is the devastated parents who will be unable to ever hold their precious children to their heart again. Christmas presents, meant to bring much joy to their children, that now will remain under their tree, forever unopened.
To have your own ripped away from you hurts like hell.

I agree with that. I won't comment further on this post as I can feel I am allowing myself to be sucked into a snarky debate, when that seems very unseemly, given what has happened. My original post was made only because I know in other cases somewhat similar to this, the people who are traumatised by it spread far and wide, parents of the children who were not harmed feel almost guilty, the parents of the perpetrator (not in this case, obviously) ask themselves what they did wrong, and so on.

But I am done, no more comments from me on this terribly sad story.

Return to “News”