The cliff

The fiscal cliff, what will happen? Who will lose? Dems, GOP or USA?

They will put America first and reach a compromise.
3%
They will put America first and reach a compromise.
3%
They will make a deal at the very last second.
11%
They will make a deal at the very last second.
11%
The R's will be the winners: No tax increase.
No votes
The R's will be the winners: No tax increase.
No votes
The dems will be the winners: More tax for the rich
3%
The dems will be the winners: More tax for the rich
3%
They reach a deal that postpones matters, somehow.
17%
They reach a deal that postpones matters, somehow.
17%
They won't agree, but austerity is what the US needs.
No votes
They won't agree, but austerity is what the US needs.
No votes
They won't agree: Welcome to a new depression.
11%
They won't agree: Welcome to a new depression.
11%
Other (please specify).
6%
Other (please specify).
6%

Total votes: 36
Glaucon

Re: The cliff

Postby Glaucon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Eh? Such vehemence... and all because I didn't get your sarcasm.

I think I did get it on the cliff... my prediction came true, didn't it? (Your's too, but it was the same prediction).

And I am not even saying you are wrong (assuming I am not missing any sarcasm again)... the democrats shouldn't just accept what the House Reps dictate to them, I agree. If they were to force a government shut-down or a government default on interest payments on bonds and such, it would reflect badly on those republicans. Who knows? It might even cost them their House majority in 2 years (however unlikely that is due to the way the districts get gerrymandered). But they should make some serious concessions (it is probably necessary to cut spending anyway, and they got a modest tax increase before).

Anyway... I am glad that you find those silly plans silly. And I'll join you in hoping that the democrats won't try to seriously pursue them.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm

So the Republicans got their bluff called and their solution is to kick the can down the street. Cheers to the summer debt crisis. :sick:

The idea that the debt ceiling increase should be matched dollar for dollar by spending cuts of their choosing is ridiculous. Lets hope it is just as ridiculous 3 months from now.

I do like the plan for no budget no pay.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Kaitlin wrote:The idea that the debt ceiling increase should be matched dollar for dollar by spending cuts of their choosing is ridiculous.

It is. Even if it wasn't of their choosing, it would be ridiculous, because everyone knows that if they got handed supreme dictatorial powers as of today, they would hit the debt ceiling too.

Besides... what the fuck... the US already hit it. And went through it. Early this month. And with it being postponed, it will have gone through it even more clearly. So... what's to talk about? What is the alternative policy? NOT going through it? But when it comes up again, that is hardly an option... because it is a done thing, then. And republicans aren't really suggesting that the government should not pay private parties their bills. After all, they are not communists.

So, by letting it the thing get postponed, they are letting something symbolic (except to people that don't get what the debt ceiling is) get turned into something symbolic AND absurd. It's like telling your child that you are postponing your decision of whether they can stay up til 10 PM to watch a TV show until 11 PM, and that they are allowed to stay up in the meantime. :o.O:
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 pm

:lol: Nice analogy.

It is an absurd made up issue and I kinda like their actions highlighting that fact.

Fiscal cliff my ass.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “News”