The 53% and the next four years… "Forward"

Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Re: The 53% and the next four years… "Forward"

Postby Sempati » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Lot of things with the 2nd Amendment are matters of interpretation and intention. These difference of opinion have been argued since the amendment was first put into place.

As passed by the Congress:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
I know it is a wiki reference, but still better than half the references most of the media outlets are using.

As a simpleton reading the above though I read it that the government cannot pas laws that infringe upon a person acquiring and owning a gun. I do not see where it says that it allows a citizen to purchase whatever gun they so desire. Plus when said amendment was put into place back in the 1790's those weapons were muskets, a little different from the high rate of fire death tools we have today. Plus it speaks of "militia" which was to ensure the newly founded USA would be kept safe from oppressive regimes like the British empire they were freeing themselves from or as you said Hawt the tyranny of the government.

Unfortunately, most people seem to pick and choose the aspects of the Constitution and the Amendments to fit the argument of the day instead of taking it as it is intended as a collective work to uphold and support the ideals and vision which the nation was founded.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Yeah, I mean they really could have been talking about fashion after all.

Going sleeveless was really risque back then.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

I know I've said this before but, you don't really help your case with your bizarre arguing style.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

TreatRothschild wrote:I know I've said this before but, you don't really help your case with your bizarre arguing style.

I disagree. It actually makes his arguments stronger. :thumbup:
TreatRothschild

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

At times, it feels like I'm reading the output of that room of infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters. When he's actually putting forward an ARGUMENT, instead of flinging poo and trolling, he actually comes across as intelligent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 pm

TreatRothschild wrote:At times, it feels like I'm reading the output of that room of infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters. When he's actually putting forward an ARGUMENT, instead of flinging poo and trolling, he actually comes across as intelligent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

I believe Norman is trying to prove that theory wrong. In theory, an infinate amount of time (or monkeys) typing away randomly may produce an exact copy of a finate amount of books. But Norman, by producing an infinate amount of Gor books, esures that that will never work. Eat that, you typing monkeys! :dodge:
TreatRothschild

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Queue Kait in 3...2...1...
TreatRothschild

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

The power of Gor compels you!!!
Carter
SL Name: ***

Postby Carter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Here is a question... regarding the next 5 years to get this topic back on track... what is the criteria by which this President will have been judged to have been successful

and just to fuel some debate and ideas about what may define success for a nation...

45 million Americans are deemed to live in poverty..so equivalent to the population size of a decent European or African nation.

given that children are the future of a country.. how high does education come on the list of criteria of success given that America doesn't come in the top 15 countries of educational standards according to the OECD

Were do these issues come on your top 5 list of criteria for success.
Allison Baker
SL Name: allisonbaker
Caste: Poets & Musicians
Role: Free Woman
Home Stone: Verr Fjord

Postby Allison Baker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 am

And I would like to add, you really should count your blessings, you have some choice at least.

Not here, the president of the ruling party said with a straight face, on national TV, that the ANC will be in power until the second coming, and he is probably right.

What do you think all that nonsense at the mines was about? Posturing for the elective conference, which happens behind closed doors, where the candidates will gladly swap people's lives for that extra vote at the table.

Meanwhile in the Transkei (Nelson Mandela's constituency), 1$US will feed a family for a few days.

Wish we had a real opposition.
RL Slave, doubt you'd survive

There were still things she had to do before the sweet tide of insanity ebbed

Return to “News”