The 53% and the next four years… "Forward"

Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Re: The 53% and the next four years… "Forward"

Postby Sempati » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

The USA has a well entrenched gun culture that tends to have most of the world puzzled, especially after recent events. The argument between both sides is also very extremist and does nothing but create a lot of noise and distracts from addressing and looking at the heart of the issues. You would think after 20 fucking children were murdered that everyone would take a step back and stop pointing fingers at every thing to say "You know what, something is messed up and this shit needs to be fixed so this doesn't happen again."

Back in 1989 in Montreal, us Canadians had the École Polytechnique Massacre were a guy went around and killed a lot of women. This resulted in our government dropping the hammer on gun control and limiting a lot of things, including clip size for rifles. We still have shootings in Canada with both legal and illegal weapons, though most of the illegal ones of the various gangs fighting each other for drug territory. It is rather difficult to go on a shooting rampage with a 5-10 round magazine.

I still fail to understand why a civilian, in relatively safe country like the USA (not some warzone like Israel or Iraq), for hunting or self defense purposes needs more than 5-10 rounds at a time. Apart from the obvious penis extension, manly man factor. Grew up in a hunting family, I was taught if you need more than one bullet to take down your prey you either need to learn to shoot or stop hunting. If you need an assault rifle to feel `safe` where you live speaks volumes because in countries like ours, the alleged beacons of freedom it is pretty sad when we need to fear our neighbours that much.

I do not think banning guns outright is the answer, nor are the guns the cause of all these evils. It is rather amusing that it tends to be far easier to get an AR-15 with high capacity magazine and thousands of rounds than it is to get a driver`s license. The ease of access is silly especially after the repeated events of a lone gunman snapping and killing multiple people just in the last 10 years.
Last edited by Sempati on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Carter
SL Name: ***

Postby Carter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Carter wrote:Ermm I havent heard of many car owners driving through schools or college campuses mowing down children and teenagers indiscriminately on a regular basis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220276/Cardiff-hit-run-Toddler-catapulted-air-caught-father-driver-mows-FOURTEEN-people.html

There's one close to home...

Vehicles are used as weapons a lot.

Good job the driver didn't have a gun isnt it ?.. think how many he could have killed.. another example of how gun control laws in the UK stopped a massacre and forced the loonie to use a car with no resulting deaths ;tybow:
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Sempati wrote:I do not think banning guns outright is the answer, nor are the guns the cause of all these evils. It is rather amusing that it tends to be far easier to get an AR-15 with high capacity magazine and thousands of rounds than it is to get a driver`s license. The ease of access is silly especially after the repeated events of a lone gunman snapping and killing multiple people just in the last 10 years.

The reason we own guns, it because guns made america. I just heard that recently.

Our right to own and carry a weapon is what empowers our citizens and is supposed to keep our government in check, which was the purpose of them white guys who wrote our constitution. Safeguards against tyranny.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Lets play the Hawt game, think of random objects that people have killed others with and post a link. Here's a starter for 10:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3857567.stm
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Sempati wrote:I do not think banning guns outright is the answer, nor are the guns the cause of all these evils. It is rather amusing that it tends to be far easier to get an AR-15 with high capacity magazine and thousands of rounds than it is to get a driver`s license. The ease of access is silly especially after the repeated events of a lone gunman snapping and killing multiple people just in the last 10 years.

The reason we own guns, it because guns made america. I just heard that recently.

Our right to own and carry a weapon is what empowers our citizens and is supposed to keep our government in check, which was the purpose of them white guys who wrote our constitution. Safeguards against tyranny.

Which, to play the Devil's Advocate, failed pretty early on. See: Whiskey Rebellion.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes, that sounds like the perfect distraction of the fact that vehicles are 64 times more deadly than guns.

Fertilizers in the wrong hands are bad.

But you are right, something small like a spoon. Say a box-cutter could be used to kill thousands of people.

Outlaw Box-cutters... Outlaw spoons, Outlaw everything...

At a certain point is does sound ridiculous doesn't it?

Freedom will win... Just takes some time for people to realize they are slaves.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:Yes, that sounds like the perfect distraction of the fact that vehicles are 64 times more deadly than guns.

Lol... how do you do the math on that one? You count the amount of death by x' and divide it by the amounts of times people start driving a car or pull a trigger? :mrgreen:

But you are right, something small like a spoon. Say a box-cutter could be used to kill thousands of people.

Yes, of course. I can see the headline now: "Restrictions turn out to be ineffective: The amount of mass killing sprees by spoons soars!"

Freedom will win... Just takes some time for people to realize they are slaves.

Damn straight. Everyone their own nuclear missile. Because an ARMED society is a POLITE society. Try to tax a bunch of folks with nukes! It will be like calling a group of Gorean sim owners to order!

Prediction: Freedom, as you see it... will NOT win out. As humans gain more knowledge and the lives of people on this planet turns into a more and more interwoven and complex ecosystem, the potential amount of distruction that an individual or a small group can inflict will continue to rise. And the powers that be will crack down on it. See 9-11. Freedom hasn't been 'winning' for over a decade now, and I am not talking the tyranny of Obamacare. I am talking about actual real freedom. Because, as Hobbes argued, if you face people with a choice between freedom and security/safety, most will choose security & safety.
Last edited by Glaucon on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Postby Sempati » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Lot of things with the 2nd Amendment are matters of interpretation and intention. These difference of opinion have been argued since the amendment was first put into place.

As passed by the Congress:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
I know it is a wiki reference, but still better than half the references most of the media outlets are using.

As a simpleton reading the above though I read it that the government cannot pas laws that infringe upon a person acquiring and owning a gun. I do not see where it says that it allows a citizen to purchase whatever gun they so desire. Plus when said amendment was put into place back in the 1790's those weapons were muskets, a little different from the high rate of fire death tools we have today. Plus it speaks of "militia" which was to ensure the newly founded USA would be kept safe from oppressive regimes like the British empire they were freeing themselves from or as you said Hawt the tyranny of the government.

Unfortunately, most people seem to pick and choose the aspects of the Constitution and the Amendments to fit the argument of the day instead of taking it as it is intended as a collective work to uphold and support the ideals and vision which the nation was founded.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Yeah, I mean they really could have been talking about fashion after all.

Going sleeveless was really risque back then.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

I know I've said this before but, you don't really help your case with your bizarre arguing style.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Return to “News”