Colorado Theater Massacre

Apple
SL Name: Madison Arctor
Role: Gorean Feminist

Re: Colorado Theater Massacre

Postby Apple » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 pm

I don't mean to be a dick about it, but what's wrong with debates? The hopes and prayers of Gorums members are never going to reach the victims' families, nor would they be helpful even if they did. A massacre and tragedy of this magnitude inspires a lot of emotion and intensity in people, and their reactions are an indicator that we are in tune with the world around us and can reassess or affirm our worldviews. As much as I think Mat's views are slightly nutty sometimes, I also don't think basically telling him to stfu is a productive thing in a discussion forum. The thread title is "Colorado Theater Massacre." The OP talks about how the murderer needs to be lined up and shot. Pretty sure nothing except moderator warnings limits this thread to "condolences and prayers." Saying "no debates allowed" sounds so bizarre and arbitrary, in light of the OP, the nature of these forums, and the impact of the tragedy in general.
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Yuls wrote:I don't mean to be a dick about it, but what's wrong with debates? The hopes and prayers of Gorums members are never going to reach the victims' families, nor would they be helpful even if they did. A massacre and tragedy of this magnitude inspires a lot of emotion and intensity in people, and their reactions are an indicator that we are in tune with the world around us and can reassess or affirm our worldviews. As much as I think Mat's views are slightly nutty sometimes, I also don't think basically telling him to stfu is a productive thing in a discussion forum. The thread title is "Colorado Theater Massacre." The OP talks about how the murderer needs to be lined up and shot. Pretty sure nothing except moderator warnings limits this thread to "condolences and prayers." Saying "no debates allowed" sounds so bizarre and arbitrary, in light of the OP, the nature of these forums, and the impact of the tragedy in general.

I agree with that. If it is ok to call for people to be killed - then why would it be such an insult to discuss things such as gun control and mental illnes. Those are two topics that need to be discussed - to avoid as many of those tragedies as possible.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Jenny1919
SL Name: Jenifer Smithson
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Panther

Postby Jenny1919 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I feel terrible for the ones involved and their families and the lives lost.. I wish them the best in their efforts to recover i know it will be a long process.. All we can do is send our hopes and prayers..

As for the other arguments here... I think its the wrong forum to debate a tragedy... Either way.. Gun control would not of stopped this massacre, and Aurora Co has one the stricter gun laws in the country... Kid was plain crazy... I think people should have right to arms to protect themselves and weapons for hunting, but i do think they shouldnt allow automatic weapons or high ammo clips or allow mass purchasing of ammo...

I will-have to respectfully dis-agree that the problem is violent games and violent movies maybe was something he wanted to do in this case perhaps but i dont know but i dont wish to listen to him or his motives... You can turn on the nightly news and get as much violence from that.. We play Gor its protrayed tobe a violent world that doesnt mean theyll run to their local supermarket and try to shoot or capture some woman walking around in a biknini.. There should be a rating so a child cant have access to some the violent movies and games..

none the less to those affected i wish you the best in the times of sorrow and that youll heal quickly from the truely tragic event

Return to “News”