Tax Returns - Unimportant In Vetting Process?

Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Tax Returns - Unimportant In Vetting Process?

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am

Resolver Bouchard wrote:Surely if their tax return shows anything bad that just means that they aren't even competent enough to hire a good tax accountant?

I question what it could show that is bad some have suggested that he may not have payed taxes for a year or something? My only question would be if he violated the law in any way. Just because someone is worth millions of dollars does not mean that they actually worked and produced any income each and every year just having the money is not a taxable thing it needs to be money changed hands or additional money earned in some way. Hell he could more than likely live a relatively good life with all his money in a non interest bearing account and never pay taxes again ever and there would be nothing wrong with that.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am

Kaitlin wrote:
Legal and wrong or conflicting with your political positions are two different things.

What would be in conflict? I don't think he has a problem with closing some of the loopholes in the tax code provided the tax code is made more inclusive of the general population. Who would be more qualified to close loopholes than someone who has used them. And no I would not fault him with using every legal means available to reduce his tax obligation.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:32 am

Kaitlin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:
Legal and wrong or conflicting with your political positions are two different things.

What would be in conflict? I don't think he has a problem with closing some of the loopholes in the tax code provided the tax code is made more inclusive of the general population. Who would be more qualified to close loopholes than someone who has used them. And no I would not fault him with using every legal means available to reduce his tax obligation.

That seems at odds with your position on "fair share". I don't expect you to have a problem with anything he releases or even his insistence on not releasing them but many will.

How is that at odds at all? I do not fault a person for following the law as it is written and I support getting rid of loopholes that allow such reductions along with more broader base of taxation among the population. Just to be clear I do not even like they guy but I can not fault him with using the tax code to his advantage.
alana
SL Name: alana quicksand

Postby alana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I just think it is hysterical what Ann Romney said.
We’ve given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and how we live our life.

OK funny...and sad...
Retreat from reality ~ The substitution of the imaginary for the real.
~I know a lot more than you think, but I keep it to myself to save arguments~
Part of the 1%, lucky me! Must suck to be you. :poke:
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

alana wrote:I just think it is hysterical what Ann Romney said.
We’ve given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and how we live our life.

OK funny...and sad...

I actually think that she is correct, I don't think we will learn anything that people don't already know.... that he uses every deduction available to him and he also uses whatever legal offshore accounts are available to them. That being said it seems that the American people want to see it so he has a decision to make either keep his privacy that is his to keep and potentially loose voters or comply and unless there is some big surprise there nothing will really change.
alana

Postby alana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
alana wrote:I just think it is hysterical what Ann Romney said.

OK funny...and sad...

I actually think that she is correct, I don't think we will learn anything that people don't already know.... that he uses every deduction available to him and he also uses whatever legal offshore accounts are available to them. That being said it seems that the American people want to see it so he has a decision to make either keep his privacy that is his to keep and potentially loose voters or comply and unless there is some big surprise there nothing will really change.

Well Mitt Romney's father would not agree with you. Seems family ties can be conveniently forgotten at times.
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
alana wrote:Well Mitt Romney's father would not agree with you. Seems family ties can be conveniently forgotten at times.

I think this is exactly what I have a problem with the most. It just brings hypocrisy to an entirely different level when your own father indicates that one year might be a "fluke" or "staged" for an election and provides 12 years and you don't even provide a single full year of returns.

I honestly don't see what his father thinking or doing has to do with anything. People want to see them hell I would like to see them but it is not a requirement in the constitution and until that is amended the only thing people can do is ask to see them and than vote accordingly but there is no standard if you look at the last few presidents it would seem from the graphs that I have seen that the years reported seems to be going down not that, that is important at all to the discussion.
alana

Postby alana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Also a lot is made of the 10% tithing the Romneys do to the Morman church. (Which is 100% of his donations.) I wonder how many people realize that that is a requirement of the church....no tithing, you cannot belong. We have a large population of Mormans in my city, I have several friends that are Morman. and though much is secret about the church, that much is pretty straight forward.

Nothing wrong with any of it, but it does not speak to any generosity of spirit on his part...just saying...
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 pm

alana wrote:Also a lot is made of the 10% tithing the Romneys do to the Morman church. (Which is 100% of his donations.) I wonder how many people realize that that is a requirement of the church....no tithing, you cannot belong. We have a large population of Mormans in my city, I have several friends that are Morman. and though much is secret about the church, that much is pretty straight forward.

Nothing wrong with any of it, but it does not speak to any generosity of spirit on his part...just saying...

I don't think that is a character trait that many attest to him either and that is why I think it is a non issue as people already see him as a greedy business person.
Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:there is no standard if you look at the last few presidents it would seem from the graphs that I have seen that the years reported seems to be going down not that, that is important at all to the discussion.

Hardly accurate at all if you are talking about elected presidents. If you are including nominees John McCain provided 2 but he is an anomaly among presidential nominees.

It’s true that in the 2008 election, Republican nominee McCain released just two years of tax returns. [b]But you have to go back more than 30 years
— to President Ronald Reagan, who released one year’s return in 1980 — to get to a major party nominee who released less than five years of tax returns.
~Factcheck.org[/b]

I'm not sure what graphs you have seen but here you go.

~Factcheck.org

Actually even looking at that if you are only looking at those who were elected the trend seems to be going down to me, with the odd mega one.

Bush Sr 14
Clinton 12
Bush Jr 9
Obama 7

Return to “News”