Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Kazim Nasr wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:I'm not hiring a CEO. If I were then I would agree with you 100%.

The President is the CEO for the country.


I disagree with this statement completely. A president is not a CEO for the country. In fact, that is exactly what makes country's fail because it is such a narrow minded view of looking at the world. A country is not a company. A country is so much more. That is why some of our best presidents have never been businessmen. Because there is much more to running a country than crunching numbers and maximizing profit. Often, what a president has to do to take care of everyone of his country's citizens is exactly opposite what a CEO would need to do to maximize profit.

And back to the OP- Nothing will happen to him. He has enough money to prevent any real trial from taking place over this. People would rather try people over sex, anyways. :ohgawd:

CEO is not just a business tittle it is literally the top executive position and I find it hard to argue otherwise. I have no idea where some get the idea that the role of the CEO is somehow limited in a company it is to manage the company and for the nation it is to manage the nation CEO is not relegated to the business world.
Either way the designation is rather meaningless it does not matter if you call him the CEO of the nation or the Commander in Chief or President (also a business title) we are all taking about the same person with the same job and that is to run the executive branch of the US
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
TreatRothschild
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius
Location: NJ

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby TreatRothschild » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
TreatRothschild wrote:There won't be a trial or charges brought, but it hurts his credibility hugely.

Only to those who were not going to vote for him anyways. For most republicans this is a non issue and come election time independents will not even be thinking about as there will have been 20 OMG stories on both parties by then.

Edit

Additionally who really cares if he outsourced jobs the ones most effected by it you know the white blue collar workers are not going to vote for Obama regardless of what he does at this point.

Granted that no Republican is going to vote for Obama. The fight now is for the undecideds. Things like this can put them off.

As a person who's job WAS outsourced when it could have stayed here, yeah, it's something that would effect me.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm

TreatRothschild wrote:
As a person who's job WAS outsourced when it could have stayed here, yeah, it's something that would effect me.

Sucks to be you but I still don't blame him for doing it I blame us myself included for buying whatever is cheaper and not insisting that our products are American made. I also blame our Unions for that for creating a work environment that is not competitive with the competition. Sure those huge pay checks were fine when you were getting a pay check but once the company has moved on all that stuff really did not get you very far..... I have started on my union soapbox now so I will just shut up and refocus.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
Thyri
Posts: 948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:02 am
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Thyri » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Since Kaitlin has so much fun with her laughter at others opinions, I'm surprised that she's not laughing hysterically at this article. Oh wait, no I'm not.

Every political news outlet wants to broadcast the "gotcha" story (thanks Newt for this sound byte, it couldnt be more true). Every news outlet wants to be the one who exposes the latest in political drama llama. Its part of what they do. But calling a presidential canidate's lie a felony is just silly.

We expect these days to have our presidential canidates to be completely golden since they exited high school, and even then gods forbid if you experimented with marijuana, alcohol or anything else. Considering a presidential canidate is around 50 years old or more, sure they're going to have told a lie once or twice in their lives.

Its no wonder with the media's expectation of perfection in any canidate that we dont have better canidates. We have canidates that flip flop, lie, and hide their pasts because hey, they might have dipped sally's ponytail in the inkwell back in 1972.

Now am I minimizing this story? Probably. But I almost expect a politician to lie. They all promise us what we want to hear. "Vote for me and all of your problems will disappear, you'll have a job, you'll make lots of money, you'll get to keep lots of money, we'll feed the poor with manna from heaven, and every special interest will be taken care of from abortions to more funding for zoos. All without increasing taxes!"

So did Romney lie? Probably. He's a politician. His lips are moving. Of course he's lying. Do I care? Not really. I'm probably not voting for him in the first place so this gotcha story does nothing to sway me one way or another.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
User avatar
TreatRothschild
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius
Location: NJ

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby TreatRothschild » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
TreatRothschild wrote:
As a person who's job WAS outsourced when it could have stayed here, yeah, it's something that would effect me.

Sucks to be you but I still don't blame him for doing it I blame us myself included for buying whatever is cheaper and not insisting that our products are American made. I also blame our Unions for that for creating a work environment that is not competitive with the competition. Sure those huge pay checks were fine when you were getting a pay check but once the company has moved on all that stuff really did not get you very far..... I have started on my union soapbox now so I will just shut up and refocus.

Yeah. Whatever. I survived for 15 months. Drained my savings dry. Could I do it again? No. *shrugs*

Ce'La Vie.

I'll tell you what, though, I'll not vote for Romney or his task masters. Don't know that I'll vote for Obama and his, either.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
User avatar
Harlequin
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 am
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.
Contact:

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Harlequin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/mitt-romney-and-his-departure-from-bain/2012/07/12/gJQAASzUfW_blog.html

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/12/mitt-romney-bain-exit/

"The story seems to hinge on a quote from a former Securities and Exchange Commission member, which would have more credibility if the Globe had disclosed she was a regular contributor to Democrats."

Huh. Almost like its vague statements blown out of control to create controversy and assist a campaign that can't run on accomplishments.

Fascinating.

Oh, don't mind me, go back to ranting about how Romney's a criminal.

Though on the "outsourcing" issue, we hear a great deal about Bain, but very little about the stimulus supported companies that took millions of our dollars and used them overseas to open new factories. Funny, that.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Glaucon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:10 am

I still think it is a non-issue, but as usual, some of the reactions are quite funny.
User avatar
serene mistwood
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 am
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx
Location: Earth

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby serene mistwood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:00 am

Glaucon wrote:I still think it is a non-issue, but as usual, some of the reactions are quite funny.


Spin, exaggeration, campaign rhetoric and lies have always been part of politics - but the United States has never been witness to a presidential candidate, in modern American history, who lies as frequently, as flagrantly and as brazenly as Mitt Romney who scarily even seems to believe his own BS. Reducing fact and truth to pure partianship is a cynical strategy now being poineered by him in a way it never has before. And why and how does it get away with it?

"Romney gets away with it because he and his team realize contemporary political journalism isn't equipped to deal with a candidate who lies this much, about so many topics, so often." Steve Benen.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

Kaitlin wrote:It wouldn't sway me one way or the other on its own but combined with other information it would have an impact if they formed a pattern.

That is a bit of a stretch this article would not sway you nor any article in the world even one that stated Romney could shit gold you have already decided that you wont vote for him, much as I have for Obama.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Possible Felony in Romney's Future for a Lie?

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:16 am

serene mistwood wrote:
Glaucon wrote:I still think it is a non-issue, but as usual, some of the reactions are quite funny.


Spin, exaggeration, campaign rhetoric and lies have always been part of politics - but the United States has never been witness to a presidential candidate, in modern American history, who lies as frequently, as flagrantly and as brazenly as Mitt Romney who scarily even seems to believe his own BS. Reducing fact and truth to pure partianship is a cynical strategy now being poineered by him in a way it never has before. And why and how does it get away with it?

"Romney gets away with it because he and his team realize contemporary political journalism isn't equipped to deal with a candidate who lies this much, about so many topics, so often." Steve Benen.

What lie or pattern of lies are you talking about?
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron