Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

User avatar
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Ceri the Urt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I know another thread began to touch on this subject, but I thought it deserved a post of it's own.

What do you think of Obamacare?

I know a lot of my FB friends are anti Obama anything. They hate Obamacare, and are all "up in arms" that people are being forced to buy something.

I have been on every side of this issue. When I turned 18, my parents insurance company dumped me. I was only 18 and had health issues, but because I was not in Highschool anymore they wouldn't cover me. I was going to college, so I couldn't get a full time job that offered health insurance. I ended up having to go on charity care, and when I had a medical issue, I had to go to the hospital instead of a doctor. My treatment was free...at least for me. That being said...someone had to pay for it, and my guess is, it was all those who were insured and paying taxes. They and their insurance companies get charged more money because I had No money.

I could do what my mom has done for years. She is self employed so she has to pay out of pocket for health insurance. She paid $700.00 a MONTH just for herself. She HAD to have it because she also suffers from a chronic illness, and she makes to much to get charity care. In other words, she made just enough to scrape by. It was even worse before my dad got disability because she was paying for them both. Mind you, she is in her 60s...drives an hour to work every day, and generally works on her feet from dawn till dusk.

As for this whole "forced to buy" nonsense.
We are forced to buy car insurance...
Our houses need to have insurance...
I "have" to buy liability insurance every year for work or I can't work.

These are insurances I may never use, (knock on wood). Yet I have to have them.

Meanwhile, I use health insurance at least once, if not more then 1 time every month.

I do believe everyone should have to buy health insurance. My hope is they will offer affordable insurance so people (like my mom) can actually get it without having to skimp on everything else just to have it.

What are your thoughts?
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:23 pm

I hate Obamacare and I support doing away with it either outright or over the years simply underfunding the program or generally making it unworkable so that it is thrown out eventually down the road.

You stated that we are forced to buy car insurance that is actually not true at all. You can choose not to buy a car and than there is no requirement for insurance on a car you do not own. Even at that auto insurance is not even required in all states for those who own a car. I do not have to have homeowners insurance either it may be a requirement for a loan but after that is paid off or if no loan is needed than there is no insurance required either.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Courrier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:05 am
SL Name: Courrier Resident

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Courrier » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Ceri the Urt wrote:
As for this whole "forced to buy" nonsense.
We are forced to buy car insurance...
Our houses need to have insurance...
I "have" to buy liability insurance every year for work or I can't work.


The difference is that you are forced to buy insurance for you car, so you can pay for the damages you do to others. Houses need insurance so the bank which loaned you the money, will not lose it all if it catches on fire.

But medical insurance is about you. It is your choice to hire it or not. That's what it narrows it down to me.

A simple example:
- You are forced by law not to drink & drive cause you can harm others.
- You should NOT be forced to use helmet or seat belt to me; that should be your choice (unless you are of course, underage).

I am not an American and not a Republican, but I do understand and embrace the freedom this country has celebrated for long. Forcing me to buy something for my own benefit, it's nannying. I do not do well with being nannyied.

Now, do I believe I should pay more for health insurance in order to help others who cannot pay for it? Hundred percent, because I can and I choose to help others. But the moment it stops being my decision, I do not like it anymore.
Last edited by Courrier on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kiana Kuhr
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm
SL Name: Kiana Kuhr
Role: RL, mostly

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Kiana Kuhr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I believe in socialized medicine, only because it is often those suffering the most who are unable to get the care they need simply to live a life of dignity. I don't believe it is a perfect system but it is a much better system than simply saying "tough shit" to fellow human beings.

If you have never had money issues, then you are blessed and I hope you never have to go through what so many people do simply because of a freak accident or illness that leaves them bankrupt, some of them, even with insurance.

I don't see this as nannying at all but ensuring that every American has the right to good medical care and good health insurance. I do hope that there will be some affordable options, though.
Sometimes our power resides not in what we do, but in what we don't do.
-Paulo Coelho
User avatar
forel
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 pm
SL Name: forel

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby forel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Kazim Nasr wrote:I believe in socialized medicine, only because it is often those suffering the most who are unable to get the care they need simply to live a life of dignity. I don't believe it is a perfect system but it is a much better system than simply saying "tough shit" to fellow human beings.

If you have never had money issues, then you are blessed and I hope you never have to go through what so many people do simply because of a freak accident or illness that leaves them bankrupt, some of them, even with insurance.

I don't see this as nannying at all but ensuring that every American has the right to good medical care and good health insurance. I do hope that there will be some affordable options, though.

I also believe in socialized medicine. Thing is, Obamacare isn't socialized medicine. It's the exact opposite. It's insurance company-written 100% private medicine.

It's right wing corporatism.
Last edited by forel on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courrier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:05 am
SL Name: Courrier Resident

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Courrier » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Kazim Nasr wrote: I don't see this as nannying at all but ensuring that every American has the right to good medical care and good health insurance. I do hope that there will be some affordable options, though.


Agree in that all Americans should have access to a good healthcare system. But, aren't taxes supposed already to cover that? That is a way around making me pay for something, instead of the unconstitutional mandate of forcing us to buy insurance.

It's the theory I do not support, the cause I do.
User avatar
forel
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 pm
SL Name: forel

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby forel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Random Girl wrote:
Kazim Nasr wrote: I don't see this as nannying at all but ensuring that every American has the right to good medical care and good health insurance. I do hope that there will be some affordable options, though.


Agree in that all Americans should have access to a good healthcare system. But, aren't taxes supposed already to cover that? That is a way around making me pay for something, instead of the unconstitutional mandate of forcing us to buy insurance.


The mandate is not unconstitutional, as shown by the Supreme Court's decision. It is, however, idiotic, because it exempts people near the poverty line who are the ones who can't afford it.

The mandate is just the insurance companies saying "Hey, government, there are too many middle class suburbanites who can afford health insurance but spend their money on other stuff instead. Make them stop for us!"

It exempts people who can't afford it, which are the people who actually need it.
Courrier
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:05 am
SL Name: Courrier Resident

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Courrier » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Luta wrote: It exempts people who can't afford it, which are the people who actually need it.


I didn't know this, what the hell?!
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Random Girl wrote:
Kazim Nasr wrote: I don't see this as nannying at all but ensuring that every American has the right to good medical care and good health insurance. I do hope that there will be some affordable options, though.


Agree in that all Americans should have access to a good healthcare system. But, aren't taxes supposed already to cover that? That is a way around making me pay for something, instead of the unconstitutional mandate of forcing us to buy insurance.

It's the theory I do not support, the cause I do.

I agree with you that everyone should have access to good healthcare but I do not agree that this access must be affordable the free market should determine what is affordable or not. Nobody should receive free health care either regardless of how much they make there should be a cost associated with it perhaps a diminished cost but still a cost because when something is given to you than you do not appreciate it.

Obamacare is unfortunately constitutional however much I do not like that. I do agree that congress has the constitutional power to tax the people in whatever amount it sees fit and it is up to the people to hold them accountable for those taxes though furthermore congress has not mandated that anyone get health coverage it is still completely optional you just have to pay a tax if you choose not to it is not like you will have a criminal record as a result of such a decision.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
Rob
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:24 am
SL Name: .
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Obamacare, What are your thoughts?

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Over 50 million uninsured, i'd say it cant get worse...

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron