Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

User avatar
Elle Couerblanc
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am
SL Name: Elle

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:There is no indication that race was the cause of this incident. However there are racist out there on both sides and race is an issue now even if it was not with this specific case. Talks must be had but they must be done in a responsible manor and not allowed to be the result of newscasters chasing ratings.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/heavily_armed_neo-nazis_patrol.php

This is simply scary to me beyond belief and it deeply saddens me that some in their zealous need to make race an issue have succeeded and now it is a real issue that has the potential to become very violent.


I grew up in Tulsa and I bet you all the money I have that this was racially motivated. Now I have been gone for ten years but there are two very distinct sections of town, North and South, and guess what divides them? Race! There are a few pockets of predomninantly black neighborhoods in South Tulsa but because of the undertones of the community, white folks don't go there.

Tulsa has a significant history of racial violence. So if they dudes just wanted to go out and kill someone and race was not an issue - south tulsa has plenty of iffy neighborhoods filled with white folks to choose from. People like these two losers don't troll a predominantly black neighborhhood on a whim.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Hawt Sommer

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Hawt Sommer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Wow the difference between the truth and then the doctored tape is insane!

I'm just glad nobody died because of the media gods screwing with the public this time, just a lot of assaults reported...
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Mat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:10 pm

ElleC wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:There is no indication that race was the cause of this incident. However there are racist out there on both sides and race is an issue now even if it was not with this specific case. Talks must be had but they must be done in a responsible manor and not allowed to be the result of newscasters chasing ratings.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/heavily_armed_neo-nazis_patrol.php

This is simply scary to me beyond belief and it deeply saddens me that some in their zealous need to make race an issue have succeeded and now it is a real issue that has the potential to become very violent.


I grew up in Tulsa and I bet you all the money I have that this was racially motivated. Now I have been gone for ten years but there are two very distinct sections of town, North and South, and guess what divides them? Race! There are a few pockets of predomninantly black neighborhoods in South Tulsa but because of the undertones of the community, white folks don't go there.

Tulsa has a significant history of racial violence. So if they dudes just wanted to go out and kill someone and race was not an issue - south tulsa has plenty of iffy neighborhoods filled with white folks to choose from. People like these two losers don't troll a predominantly black neighborhhood on a whim.

I have no idea about the Tulsa incident have never lived in the area and have not been following it on the news either. The link I referenced and was talking about was specifically the Florida Incident.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Tertionus
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:40 pm
SL Name: Tertionus Resident

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Tertionus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Mat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm


Glad it is finally moving along if the rummers are to be believed. Good luck finding a jury pool for this case that has not been tainted, my bet is that the case gets moved to another jurisdiction eventually.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Hilda
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm
SL Name: Account Closed

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Hilda » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

My favorite magazine, never letting me down.

Justice for Martin. And justice for Zimmerman too.
Whatever that is.

http://www.economist.com/node/21551546
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Mat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Anna Warren wrote:My favorite magazine, never letting me down.

Justice for Martin. And justice for Zimmerman too.
Whatever that is.

http://www.economist.com/node/21551546

Wow that has to be one of the best unbiased news articles I have read in a very long time, it was a refreshing read.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Hilda
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm
SL Name: Account Closed

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Hilda » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

@ Mat: Glad you liked it. It is a phenomenal publication...rarely I disagree with it. Keeps it objective, international avoiding euphemisms. They actually have a writing guide style that is superb to download.
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Mat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Anna Warren wrote:My favorite magazine, never letting me down.

Justice for Martin. And justice for Zimmerman too.
Whatever that is.

http://www.economist.com/node/21551546


I found their earlier article far more enlightening and on point since it didn't sidestep the issue to take a few unrelated political shots. They were also pretty clear about the role race played in this crime.

The Injustice
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/03/trayvon-martin
Even if you don't think the Florida law goes too far, it's hard to see how it applies in this case. Mr Zimmerman was apparently chasing Martin, which is the opposite of standing your ground. If Mr Zimmerman's claim to self-defence is credible, it's hard to imagine what wouldn't count as self-defence in Florida. The willingness on the part of the police department to accept this argument at face value is baffling—or would be baffling if not for the fact that Martin was a young black man. I don't see any other interpretation. So this story has as much to do with race as it does with gun laws.
...
In the world as it is rather than the world as we would like it to be, certain groups face differential risks of injustice, violence, instability, or abuse. That's why black parents feel a need to give this warning to their children, poor parents often feel a need to give a similar warning, all parents feel a need to give special warnings to their daughters, and so on. The only non-awful part of this story is the public outrage over Martin's death, which reflects the fact that Americans, as a group, retain some baseline belief that justice is real and everyone has a right to it. Let's hope that belief proves to be as prophetic as his father's warning.

Naa I do not find it on point at all, it is more opinion and nothing else. What I find refreshing is reporting the facts and letting the reader draw their own conclusion that is not what I found in your exert you provided only more sensationalism that may or may not be in fact true..
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman, Stand Your Ground Law, etc.

Postby Mat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:Naa I do not find it on point at all, it is more opinion and nothing else. What I find refreshing is reporting the facts and letting the reader draw their own conclusion that is not what I found in your exert you provided only more sensationalism that may or may not be in fact true..


I see. So now that this publication doesn't cater to your own viewpoint it is now a less phenomenal unbiased publication. Exactly what I expected and why I posted the earlier article. :lol:

Never said that it was a phenomenal unbiased publication. I did say that the one article I was referencing was refreshingly unbiased.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron