Rogue One

Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Rogue One

Postby Vector » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:40 pm

So, I saw this today and wondered what you thought of it? I thought it started slow and that it would have left a younger audience scratching their heads wondering what the story was about. Lots of action as the story unravelled and some great subtle nods to previous movies. I'm not a massive fan of the whole series but thought this was the best yet.

Oh, and if Disney bought the rights to Outlaw of Gor, could they do a worse job lol?
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
Glaucon

Re: Rogue One

Postby Glaucon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Disney CAN always do a worse job. They have the skillz.

I had a strange reaction to this one. I like Star Wars. The trailer for this one didn't appeal (previous SW movie's trailers were great teasers, this one wasn't so much), but was interested anyway.

And then I started watching. Annoying 3D goggles on. And after the first bit, I somehow lost track of the story for a moment. Dozed off for a sec. Managed to stay awake for a good while after that, but it started happening again, later on. And I wasn't that sleepy. Towards the end of the movie, I was struggling to follow things. The characters failed to engage me (except for HK-47's empire-droid cousin). They weren't too over-the-top, or anything. But not very interesting to me, either. The action looked good. A bit more gritty, which is fine. But the story just could not hook me.

Might have been just me. The crowd of SW fans I was with all felt it was awesome.
Adlai
SL Name: adlai.rae

Postby Adlai » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I LOVED the film. It's now one of my top 3 Star Wars favorites.

The pacing felt good, I like that it was a war flick. I was VERY excited with the trailers... didn't get chills the way I did with the other teasers, but was still looking forward to it a year ago. I expected more of a "heist" but wouldn't say I'm disappointed.

I think the most encouraging piece of the movie was that there were male and female characters fighting alongside one another and romance was not the primary focus.
"The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:40 pm

I thought it was a very English movie. Gritty and understated with darkly sarcastic humour. Probably my third favourite of the series, and it's a shame
► Show Spoiler
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:35 am

I have to say, I loved it. Watched it in 3D and it was awesome in an old fashioned kind of way. The nostalgic elements were delightful and the score and casting were spot on for me. Also loved the anti-C-P30 in sassy K-2SO. It was a little dark, and Vader was menacing again at last. 5 stars from me.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.

Return to “News”