[News] Social Media outrage over Twitch user allegedly beating a woman while streaming

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

[News] Social Media outrage over Twitch user allegedly beating a woman while streaming

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun May 08, 2016 6:13 am

Since the forum is a bit quiet, and for some reason it's the gorean forums where the subject might lay a bit closer to heart, I felt like copy-pasting a news-article over which I've recently had some arguments.

____

Several extremely disturbing videos uploaded to YouTube Tuesday night and Wednesday morning purport to be audio of a user on the video game website Twitch beating a woman as she screams and pleads for him to stop. The videos are generating a fair amount of online outrage, including on Reddit and Twitter; in the meantime, it remains unclear if the man has been identified and if the woman he can be heard abusing is safe.

Twitch is a wildly popular site where people livestream themselves playing or talking about games. It’s also been the site of some fairly terrifying “pranks,” like when a livestreamer was raided by the cops after someone swatted him, which means making a fake 911 call meant to draw law enforcement to his home.

The Twitch streamer purportedly heard abusing his girlfriend went by JoeDaddy505; his channel is now closed, with the listed reason being “terms of service violations.”

The videos that have been uploaded to YouTube are just audio ripped from JoeDaddy’s stream, with no video. Gamers on places like Reddit’s r/gaming are guessing that JoeDaddy believed his stream to be turned off when he began arguing with his wife or girlfriend.

The audio lasts about six minutes. The man being streamed from JoeDaddy’s account sounds extremely intoxicated and can be heard calling the woman a “bitch, a “whore” and a “slut,” making derogatory remarks about her vagina, and accusing her of cheating. She can be heard crying, screaming, and saying, “Get off me” and “I’m going to call the cops.” At times, she’s screaming so wildly it’s impossible to make out what she’s saying. It’s unclear whether the woman was also being sexually assaulted; many commenters on YouTube and Reddit have speculated that’s the case. After listening to the audio, we can’t rule it out. (We are not linking directly to it, for many obvious reasons.)

The audio of the incident seems to be spreading widely after getting picked up by a YouTuber named KeemStar, who has 780,000 Twitter followers and does an online broadcast called Drama Alert. (He’s no stranger to controversy himself. Nearly 20,000 people signed a petition calling for him to be banned from YouTube, accusing him of racism and of fabricating news; the petition specifically claims he has falsely accused several people of pedophilia.)

Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts associated with the individual who went by JoeDaddy on Twitch have mostly been scrubbed. (The “JoeDaddy505" Twitch account shows a man with a goatee and a star tattoo; the Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts with the same username also use that same photo, and the latter two identify the user as a gamer.) A cache of his Instagram describes him as a “New Mexico living” God enthusiast who also enjoys art and his children. (The “505" part of JoeDaddy’s username is also New Mexico’s area code, and he has a strong and distinct regional accent.)

Video footage of the incident (WARNING EXPLICIT!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoARkJvIsr0

So okay, let's explain this. People that know me probably know I'm really not into "abuse" and that I'm a pretty friendly person when you get to know me.

But I'm of the opinion that it's nobody's business, especially not of social media frenzies, to nosey in other people's relationships if one of the partners doesn't come forward and explicitely asks or makes clear he or she wants helped. As gorean roleplayers there is perhaps a slight chance we might more easily understand that some of these things can happen with some consent (right?). (And with that I just mean that we might roleplay themes and subjects which for a large part of normal people might be unthinkable or unacceptable. So maybe some of us understand that everyone is a bit different in that regard.)

That we can't really conclude from an audio clip that it's really about an abusive relationship or that the woman is overall unhappy with her relationship, or that she needs helped instead of it perhaps just being something she might not mind too much (being treated that way / she might have her own kinks we don't know about (unlikely but never know)) or that it might've been a mistake and she most of all would rather try to work through that instead of having anyone step in and mess with their relationship?

Or am I seeing this wrong? Should outsiders step in, or should people mind their own business? (Not that it's really their own business anymore if they're being dumbasses and ended up accidenly streaming it live before an audience...)
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: [News] Social Media outrage over Twitch user allegedly beating a woman while streaming

Postby Tantus » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

They sound as bad as each other, it's not their first altercation as he sounds too calm and she doesn't sound a stranger to wailing. Any normal person would have been out of that relationship after the first incident, and it's fair to say she might have no where else to go. Which is problem with society itself, just as this clip will spawn a million abusive comments, but not one of them will send the girl their address and offer her shelter until she gets her life together.

In the UK alone, it's estimated two women are killed a week in abusive relationships. It's a real issue and intervention is necessary in a lot of cases. When I was about 7, my neighbour would come home drunk in the night and start beating his wife. I still remember a time when he pulled her out into the garden and was kicking her, I woke up and looked out the window to see my father pulling him off. At other times another guy from across the road would run over and stop him. She was infact a nice and hardworking woman, who eventually married again and was looking well at the time I moved out years later. So yes.. at times intervention is needed.

If these two were my neighbours now, I would definitely be having a word with them and seeing if this is just how they live(some people do), or if she'll need to be hooked up with social services. As an 'Internet' incident I don't really care about it.. there are people living worse lives in countries without law enforcement, or social assistance.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: [News] Social Media outrage over Twitch user allegedly beating a woman while streaming

Postby Cassie » Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am

The problem with such things being displayed in social medias is we do not get a whole picture, we don't really know what goes by just witnessing a few minutes of altercation.
Sometimes I even think such episodes are scams to attract viewers and I know its sounds absurd because obviously the guy is getting a lot of hate for it but who knows... maybe that is exactly what he wants.

I don't witness such things but I believe that women or hell even men in situation they are part of abusive relationships in a country such as the US CAN get help. You could walk to a police station and explain things, I doubt they would not even consider your story and give it a run to try and help you out of a situation.
I understand the psychological grip a partner can have on you but damn it pisses me when someone becomes that passive to a situation that is obviously destroying you.

Now about social media, its a damn PEST! Again people reply to something they do not understand, thinking they are standing up to a social injustice but they really aren't helping. Instead of sending hate to the guy who might just do something stupid like killing himself and his wife try and approach him in a sensitive way. Offer help.

Reminds me of the cases of vigilantes looking for pedophiles on the internet, luring them out and while it sounds like a great thing to do there are reasons why justice operates differently. Its not only about the means and avoiding law suits its about catching a man on the act and perhaps even dragging out a deeper circle of people doing this with the right investigation.
Apparently some people lured a guy to meet a girl, they changed her age to even younger last minute, the guy showed up anyways and they taped him and ridiculed him. The aspects here are so wrong yet if I tell this to most they actually are glad there are those who do something about these horrible people. Thinking this man might kill himself as a great results really makes me think. I heard Germany has a program that accepts pedophiles who have no record without disclosing them, they accept to help them without reporting them which I think is better than the US police that obliges them to report them immediately as soon as they admit having an interest without having done anything.

When you have people who went through such things you probably are more inclined to see justice in such mass of hatred but its really not solving anything. So I think.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm

I told you on that other forum that I disagree with you.

It should be investigated, and the audio is grounds for an investigation.

And an investigation is being conducted (which you don't mention), because they were able to trace where the guy is from and gave the audio to the police.

They're going to identify the woman in the audio to confirm whether or not this was a fake (since that is a possibility with twitch streamers). If it's not fake, they will most likely file charges whether or not the woman wants them to. Because in most states (not all, but most) domestic violence charges are filed based on evidence of abuse, whether or not the victim wants them filed. Because we understand in the US what Battered Spouse Syndrome is.

And since you repeatedly brought up children on the other forum, if the children are the woman's, and she does not leave the abusive relationship, she can be charged with child endangerment and possibly lose custody of her children. If the children are the man's, and he is found to have committed spousal abuse, they can be removed from his custody, as no one wants an abuser having his hands on kids.

If it's BDSM, though I don't think it is and I know you don't think it is because you said as much on that other forum, they can make that case in court. But we both know it's not. You may want to look away, but other people will not. Because we remember what it was like when people looked away because "it's a private matter" while men abused their wives and children.
Last edited by Leah on Sun May 08, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Leah wrote:If it's BDSM, though I don't think it is and I know you don't think it is because you said as much, they can make that case in court. But we both know it's not. You may want to look away, but other people will not. Because we remember what it was like when people looked away because "it's a private matter" while men abused their wives and children.

I didn't claim it was BDSM at all, that was your conjecture.

I simply pointed out that we don't know what kind of relationship those two have, what the past of their relationship is and or wether or not she truely feels abused in the relationship or not. And that ultimately it's up to her to do something about it, because I'm definitely not comfortable in noseying into other people's relationships or pretending I hold any authority on telling other people how they should live their lives or how their relationships should look like.

And what kind of petty society are we when we are willing to ruin the relationship between two people while the woman might've already decided she is willing to forgive him for a mistake he made, they decided already to work through it, or who knows what else she did to lure out that kind of reaction?

People need to mind their own business. That doesn't mean I wouldn't interfere when I see someone getting beaten by someone else, but that isn't the subject we're talking about here. What we're talking about here is an after the facts noseying of people into a relationship that isn't theirs to nosey in. And yes, sad for those who feel so intimidated they're too afraid to protect themselves even if there is a wide platform of easily available solutions available nowadays, but that is on them. Nobody else, sad as it might feel to you, as badly as you feel like you need to protect them, it's still not your business. In my opinion.

I don't think I'll ever agree with sacrificing privacy for the sake of "protection"

And please, just to clarify, I also definitely do NOT agree with the abuse of women at all. My urge to protect women from senseless suffering is as strong as with anyone, if not more so, but at the same time I value people's privacy and their right to control their own lives.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun May 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I didn't claim it was BDSM at all, that was your conjecture.

I didn't say you did. I said I already know you don't believe it's BDSM because you said as much on the other forum.

And what kind of petty society are we when we are willing to ruin the relationship between two people while the woman might've already decided she is willing to forgive him for a mistake he made, they decided already to work through it, or who knows what else she did to lure out that kind of reaction?

If he's beating her, Anarch, or if she is beating him, the relationship is already ruined.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun May 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Leah wrote:If he's beating her, Anarch, or if she is beating him, the relationship is already ruined.

I would agree with that, yeah. But ultimately it's not for me to decide.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon May 09, 2016 9:23 am

Most domestic violence is reciprocal (both partners are violent). The relationships most likely to be violent are lesbian relationships. In heterosexual relationships that are not reciprocally violent (only one partner is violent), the violent partner is most likely to be a woman. Women get hurt more than men because if you punch a dude in the face as a woman and he punches you back you're probably getting BTFO.

Having had the great misfortune to grow up around a load of the sort of perpetually drunk, terminally stupid people who tend to be in reciprocally violent relationships, this sounds like your bog-standard case of escalation. The guy says "she hit me first" in one of his after-the-fact social media messages, but that is a fact conveniently ignored. Because women wail loud. The likelihood is that if the cops go to their house, they'll both lie about it and keep on keeping on with their dysfunctional relationship. It'll be a waste of resources for everyone, but that won't matter because the interwebz mob will have gotten to grandstand for a few days and anonymous will have been marginally relevant again for an afternoon.

There are (occasionally) good ethical reasons why law enforcement officers should be able to arrest people for crimes even when the victims of those crimes would rather charges were not brought. "Because the internet said so" is not such a reason.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon May 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Abuse is a crime. Full stop. It should be investigated and people should step in. I'm a little disquieted that anyone would think otherwise.

BDSM shouldn't enter into it- if consent wasn't involved, and from what little (I didn't watch the video) info is presented here, it sounds as though it wasn't, then it's not BDSM, it's Abuse, and a crime and if you witness a crime, you should be morally obligated as a Decent Fucking Human Being to try to help. It should be investigated by the authorities and if proof is found to support a verdict of abuse, the shitbag should do the time for it.

I'm not one for beating the SJW drum but my god, people- is there really any grey area here? A man beat, punched a screaming woman- if that's really what happened, how is there any question about whether "witnesses", and if that saw it happening live, that should count, even online- should report it and try to seek to get the woman some help and the guy prosecution after investigation?

This isn't a Gorean thing, or a roleplay thing, or a BDSM thing. And I'm pretty damned squicked out that any of y'all might think it is.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Mon May 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Jesus Christ, fuck this entire thread. "It's no one else's business" is the same attitude we see on Fet when someone gets caught abusing or harassing or otherwise fucking wi th another the they have no cause. It's the attitude that is why esp online, we have truly reprehensible people with long and documented histories of fucked up relationships that somehow SL Gor ignores because hey.

Sure they're a psycho, but not our problem. Usually, interestingly, that attitude is mostly used for males. Funny.

And I'm a proud 'gator myself but to throw out SJW is an idiot strawman. Especially after spending an extended period surrounded by actually kinky folk where if someone overstepped they'd be bounced by a DM or security, this thread....

Yeah, fuck this thread and this kind of attitude. No wonder SL Gor is a goddamn mess.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Return to “News”