Project Sansar

Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Project Sansar

Postby Vector » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Virtual Reality is set to come to SL in 2016 under Linden Labs Project Sansar.

How do you see your Gor going down in the future? (Double pun intended ). Will you put the VR goggles on and act out your Gor as normal or will you play/live it entirely differently? Excited or not interested?

What will it mean for sim builders and players alike do you think?
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Re: Project Sansar

Postby TreatRothschild » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:59 pm

My wonder is if they are going to sanitize Sansar to avoid getting the Goreans, the BDSM and the other "undesirables" out.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

I shouldn't think so Treat, not if it means $$$$$ to them. However, to fully utilise VR you are forcing people to voice as well as text in order to fully interact with others and people might be uneasy with that. I think VR is a logical step but at what cost to you and me as users and at what cost to sim owners and designers? Will it prove too expensive and drive people away until it becomes affordable?
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:30 pm

That does make some sense, Vector, unless they are going for a more "family friendly" experience. Like the old Youth SL.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Melisande
SL Name: Melisande
Caste: Warrior
Role: Ubara
Home Stone: Ar

Postby Melisande » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm

If I have the system capabilities to handle it, I will fully engage, and also try to keep the community going where I am now while I explore the new world. It should be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to the promised lower costs for sim owners, the better graphics, the ease of building, and so many other things I'm reading about.

Will be cautiously optimistic, but will not abandon Melisande currently in SL.
Esse quam videri - To be rather than appear to be.
Lucius
SL Name: Lucius Obviate

Postby Lucius » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:33 pm

I don't believe that I would enjoy Sansar. While having a three dimensional medium is nice in some respects it has always been about writing stories for me.
You can think I am wrong but that is no reason to stop thinking.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Lucius wrote:I don't believe that I would enjoy Sansar. While having a three dimensional medium is nice in some respects it has always been about writing stories for me.

This.

I can see how it would suit people who are more into exploring aspects of themselves through role play, and how it would particularly suit people who are paranoid about OOC gender, but it's not for me.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Vaguely interested in Project Sansar, if only for the cheaper land possibility and better graphics capabilities. But no interest at all in VR peripherals. It seems 'gimmicky' and the few times I've done it, I got motion sickness. Besides, I'd rather zoom out so I can see my avatar while roleplaying.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 am

From LL's own website:

"Experiences created with Project Sansar will be optimized for VR headsets like the Oculus Rift, but also accessible via PCs and (at consumer launch) mobile devices. Users can explore and socialize within Project Sansar experiences through advanced expressive avatars, using text and voice chat."

So it doesn't sound like a VR headset is a must to use it.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:48 pm

VR will push LL to optimise the graphics. It needs to run smoothly for VR to be an option and if they can manage that, everyone will benefit (The sims will be running at 90FPS too, for the sake of VR).

A lot of 'residents' are leaving SL because it won't run well on their PCs, not as it used to. It's not a graphically demanding application, it's just coded poorly. So if SL2 begins with an optimised viewer and smoother experience all round, it will be a real incentive for people to switch over.

Return to “News”